Reaction score
By David Moore , Staff Writer Contact David Moore on Twitter: @DavidMooreDMN

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Stephen Jones wants to talk you off the ledge.

If you're a Cowboys fan concerned by the sheer volume of losses on the defensive side of the ball, if you fret that the smattering of free agent signings and upcoming draft isn't enough to address these obvious shortcomings, the club's executive vice president offers this message:

"There is a little bit of method to the madness here.''

The strategy: think long and hard about signing a good player to a generous third contract, restraint the club exercised when it came to safety Barry Church and cornerback Brandon Carr. Offset key losses with "efficient signings'' -- corner Nolan Carroll and a safety Jones indicates will be added to the mix down the free agent road -- and dive deep into a draft that has the potential to shore up the Cowboys weaknesses.

"Right now, going into the draft, we feel really good about our numbers,'' Jones said Sunday a few hours before the NFL's annual meeting got underway. "But at the same time we feel this is going to be a great opportunity for us to improve on the defensive side of the ball.

"It just so happens we feel the draft is inordinately strong on the defensive side of the ball.''

The Cowboys have lost 10 players in the opening weeks of free agency. Seven of those defections have come on the defensive side of the ball. Five of those players started seven or more games for the team last season.

Jones respects those players and the contributions they made to a 13-3 record. He would have preferred to keep several of them. If the club had a little more cap room, the losses would probably have been reduced.

But if you were expecting an emotional farewell or internal doubts about whether the team has employed the proper strategy, you'll be disappointed.

"Players we want to keep, we keep them,'' Jones declared. "Most of these players, I'm not going to single out guys, but most of them we were ready to let move on.

"Now, there were a few if they would have been for the right price, we would have done it. But we certainly didn't want to get into overpaying for anybody.''

Church received a 4-year, $26 million deal from Jacksonville that guarantees him $12 million. Carr got a 4-year, $23 million deal from Baltimore that pays him $6 million this upcoming season.

Morris Claiborne got a 1-year deal for $5 million from the New York Jets.

"At the end of the day, we value our players,'' Jones said. "At certain numbers, it's efficient for us to sign them. At other numbers, it's not.''

Jones doesn't believe the secondary is compromised by losing four of its top six players. In his mind, the addition of Carroll leaves the group with three good corners and the chance to add another quality player or two in the draft. He likes how rookie Kavon Frazier progressed in his rookie season and is high on Jeff Heath, who at the moment will take Church's spot in the starting lineup.

"I think if you turn on the tape and watch that (Green Bay game), there are a lot of people who wonder why isn't that guy starting, you know, in terms of making plays on the ball and that type of thing?'' Jones said.

"Obviously we feel good about what Jeff can do.''

Jones concedes that signing players to a third contract, no matter how solid they've been in the case of Church and Carr, gives him pause. He called those tough decisions.

But he doesn't want this team to form an unhealthy dependence on free agency. The draft is the best way to infuse a team with young talent and keep costs down.

The emphasis now is the draft.

"There's no question,'' Jones said. "We think some of the best depth in the draft is the defensive line and the secondary in our view.

"Now let me be real clear. If a great offensive player shows up that's of great value to us, that doesn't mean we aren't going to pick an offensive player.

"But our focus is on defense.''

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Just like I've thought for a while, Steve thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and will always hit on the draft so he doesn't need FA.

I'm not saying FA should be the basis of your team, but some well-placed, judicious signings can definitely help. Steve totally dismisses it.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Just like I've thought for a while, Steve thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and will always hit on the draft so he doesn't need FA.

I'm not saying FA should be the basis of your team, but some well-placed, judicious signings can definitely help. Steve totally dismisses it.

That's not what he said at all in that article. I didn't read anywhere that he said he dismisses FA. And since when is it bad to build your team through the draft?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm not going strictly off this article, and of course he doesn't expressly state it. But reading between the lines for a while now, it's clear that's what he thinks.

And sure, that's great if you can pull it off. I'm sure he envisions something like the Packers who rarely use FA. But not everyone can pull that off. Maybe we can because we've drafted well for a while now, but just because you've hit lately doesn't mean you always will, either.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm not going strictly off this article, and of course he doesn't expressly state it. But reading between the lines for a while now, it's clear that's what he thinks.

And sure, that's great if you can pull it off. I'm sure he envisions something like the Packers who rarely use FA. But not everyone can pull that off. Maybe we can because we've drafted well for a while now, but just because you've hit lately doesn't mean you always will, either.

I agree the draft is still a crap shoot but it should still be your main focus when it comes to building your team. When you start throwing big money to the best free agents on the market you end up with Brandon Carr.

Everyone can see that Stephen does not view FA the way his dad does but in reality it's the right way to view free agency. This defense is not 1 player away from being great so it makes no sense to go out and start throwing money around. Plus there was no one that hit the open market this year that would have been a good fit for this team. Last year may have been different with Vernon but we all would be mad as hell if they paid him all that money and he only got 8 sacks.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
People like cmd and I have talked about this for a while, but this isn't MLB where you lose draft picks when you sign free agents. So why does it have to be either/or? Call me crazy, but I'd take a guy like Alshon Jeffery over Terrence Williams. Why wouldn't he have been a good fit for this team?

Reaction score
To me, this reeks of Jerry type salesmanship.

We were restricted by our cap. No question. But we can't express panic. So let's put on our poker face and tell the fans this isn't a big deal and the draft will fix everything.

Oh and Jeff Heath. Because did you see that Green Bay game??

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
People like cmd and I have talked about this for a while, but this isn't MLB where you lose draft picks when you sign free agents. So why does it have to be either/or? Call me crazy, but I'd take a guy like Alshon Jeffery over Terrence Williams. Why wouldn't he have been a good fit for this team?

What was the problem everyone had with Claiborne? He was ALWAYS hurt. You get the same thing with Alston Jeffery.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Why would he fret, they let overpaid trash walk in FA. He is still spouting the delusional bull shit that they are expecting Jaylon Smith to play in 2017 though. Tells me he was one of the genius FO types that was all for blowing the 34th pick in the 2016 draft on him.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh and Jeff Heath. Because did you see that Green Bay game??

honestly, the pick looked like the result of a miscommunication between Rodgers and the receiver. Heath starting at SS fills me with dread. great special teamer, but we've seen his act before as a defender.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
What was the problem everyone had with Claiborne?
Getting torched on a regular basis, that's when he wasn't committing a very hurtful penalty (of which he was 2nd on the team after Doug Free). Can't tackle to save his worthless ass. He was a liability and a total 1st round draft BUST.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, Claiborne wasn't just hurt a lot. He also pretty much sucked even when his mentally weak non-tackling pussy ass would play with boo-boos. He wasn't any good until five years into his contract.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Gee I dunno, cost maybe?

If there was no cap, they'd spend the money.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I also don't have a problem with them letting all those guys go. They had a proven track record of not being anything more than average, so why overpay to keep them?

Stevie is right, with this draft being relatively deep at DE and DB, the timing was good for us to have a makeover. There really are probably guys available in the middle rounds as good or better than what we let go, and they wont cost as much.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I also don't have a problem with them letting all those guys go. They had a proven track record of not being anything more than average, so why overpay to keep them?

Stevie is right, with this draft being relatively deep at DE and DB, the timing was good for us to have a makeover. There really are probably guys available in the middle rounds as good or better than what we let go, and they wont cost as much.
There just comes a time when windows close, and you have to move on from certain people.

Iamtdg

Reaction score

Stevie?

Really?

Top Bottom