bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
cowboys.jpg

Tony Romo and Jason Garrett’s relationship status is just as complicated as the quarterback’s future in the NFL.

Romo, 36, remains on the Cowboys roster two weeks after delivering an emotional farewell to Dallas faithful. But his friendship with the head coach he reportedly fractured long before.

Romo approached Cowboys senior vice president of public relations, Rich Dalrymple, ahead of the Nov. 20 game against the Ravens to stage a press conference to publicly back Dak Prescott, who had emerged as a rookie phenom at quarterback in Romo’s absence for the first-place Cowboys. Garrett reportedly was left in the dark about Romo’s speech, which came while Romo still was nursing a back injury that forced him to miss most of the season.

“The Cowboys head coach was put in the position of praising a statement he had no idea his quarterback was going to give. The fact that Romo didn’t run his comments by Garrett or inform him as a courtesy was a slap to his authority,” reported the Dallas Morning News.​

The frost between Romo and Garrett carried over to the offseason. During last month’s scouting combine in Indianapolis, Garrett disclosed he hadn’t spoken with Romo since the season’s end.

On Tuesday, Garrett joined several members of the Cowboys offensive line and tight end Jason Witten for a team photo with Golden State’s Steph Curry as the Warriors battled the Dallas Mavericks. Romo, who likely will land with another team in the coming weeks, was nowhere to be seen.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good for you, Tony.

Just wonder if he's only now discovering what a self-serving fraud Garrett is, or if he knew all along but couldn't do anything about it. (No, not buying the argument that he easily could have had Red fired but didn't want to.)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Good for you, Tony.

Just wonder if he's only now discovering what a self-serving fraud Garrett is, or if he knew all along but couldn't do anything about it. (No, not buying the argument that he easily could have had Red fired but didn't want to.)
Poor ole picked on 100 millionaire Tony was never self serving, right?

The one time Garrett didn't kiss his ass and he gets ostracized. Ruck Fomo.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
the fact that he didn't even bother to clear it with his head coach, not to mention longtime friend, tells you how much the players respect Garrett

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I will be glad when the drama is over and this franchise can move forward without him.

He has easily been the most psychologically draining player I have ever witnessed in a Cowboy uniform.

You have always wanted to like the guy, but when it comes down to it, the years of eff ups, being "Romo Friendly" and the like have really been exhausting.

Reaction score
You wonder though. Jason will not change his system and anyone who challenges that the system is incomplete or weak or needs improvement appears to be someone who Garrett turns his back on. Despite Murray and Callahans success, Garrett was not interested. Romo made some statements prior to the 2014 season that he wanted more say or input into gameplanning and specifically Romo stated that he wanted more of an attacking offense.
"Taking what the defense gives" may have been a flaw in the offense that Romo saw. Then Romo being injured and the offense failing with three different QBs showed Garrett to be flawed as a coach without Romo. I think Garrett may have started pushing Romo away when Linehan and Dak started winning, removing himself from the syllogism of Garrett without Romo is a loser.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Meh, all this talk of bring glad he's gone is only bc the team tripped over a winning lottery ticket in Dak. If we were running Connor Cook out there like we wanted, people would be pining for Romo.

And Dooms, I don't feel sorry for Tony a bit. That's not the point at all. The point is that he's a hell of a lot better player than Garrett is a coach, and that Garrett is still a snake.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So I hear CBS is now making a hard push to sign Romo. Wonder how long it takes for Romo to start talking if he signs with FOX or CBS.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I will say this, I don't see Tony as a great TV commentator. For all the talk of how smart he is, he really doesn't come off that way to me in interviews. He seems like he'd be fun to drink a beer with because he's lighthearted and funny, but I don't think that means he'd be good in the Moose/Troy/Darren Woodson role.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Meh, all this talk of bring glad he's gone is only bc the team tripped over a winning lottery ticket in Dak. If we were running Connor Cook out there like we wanted, people would be pining for Romo.

Truer words were never spoken. Oakland was so impressed with Cook they just gave EJ Manuel a contract. Neither of those two could hit water from a boat.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I will say this, I don't see Tony as a great TV commentator. For all the talk of how smart he is, he really doesn't come off that way to me in interviews. He seems like he'd be fun to drink a beer with because he's lighthearted and funny, but I don't think that means he'd be good in the Moose/Troy/Darren Woodson role.

Even if Romo is mediocre as a color guy, he'll still be better than a lot of other ones. Not a whole lot of announcers and color guys that I turn the volume up for anymore . In fact I am usually underwhelmed.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
or if he knew all along but couldn't do anything about it. (No, not buying the argument that he easily could have had Red fired but didn't want to.)

Yeah, well let me sell you some ocean front property in Hos' neighborhood then.

So sick of the "poor Romo" garbage.

No more Cabo trips during playoff weeks. No more "well if this is the worst thing that ever happens to me"...no more "sulk face" on the sidelines when things arnt going well. and GOOD FUCKING RIDDANCE.

By the way, if Romo had pulled that mid season press conference shit with a coach like Jimmy or Belichick, his ass would have been in the street.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Why was that press conference so bad? He did it to remove any possibility of a QB controversy. He was doing the coach a favor. Why did he even need to tell Nutless Red? I'd love to hear why Jimmy or Belichick would have cut him for it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Why was that press conference so bad? He did it to remove any possibility of a QB controversy. He was doing the coach a favor. Why did he even need to tell Nutless Red? I'd love to hear why Jimmy or Belichick would have cut him for it.

I don't care if Garrett is nutless or not, he is still the HC.

I said it the day I watched it, the whole thing was bizarre. Almost like it was a pity-fest or some attention grab. It should have never been done. Maybe in Romo's mind he did it to help ensure he'd be released.

No way in hell would a coach like Jimmy or Belichick tolerated something like that happening on their watch.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Regardless of anyone's opinions on what things are like under the Red Regime that press conference was just another reminder of how pathetic and nutless Red is and what a sad situation it is with him as the head coach.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Regardless of anyone's opinions on what things are like under the Red Regime that press conference was just another reminder of how pathetic and nutless Red is and what a sad situation it is with him as the head coach.

Maybe, but if that's true and Romo did it because he had no respect for the HC then its even further proof of what I and some others have contended all along. That Romo should have given Jones ultimatums about getting rid of him or else.

Romo held ALL the cards for years here for a number of reasons, and other than Aikman there's probably been no player Jones gave more cred too. There's no way in fucking hell Jones would have kept Garrett if Romo threatened to walk, no resign a contract, not redo a contract etc etc.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
One, no football player does that. Name another QB who has done it.

Two, even if he did, there's no guarantee Jerry doesn't call his bluff. You underestimate how much Jerry loves his puppet.

Three, even if he did that, you'd blame him for rabblerousing, going outside his authority, being a drama queen, etc.

The weird thing is I'm not even the biggest Romo fan around. I know how lucky we were to have him, but I also know he's flawed. But to blame him for Jerry's choice of head coach is crazy.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
One, no football player does that. Name another QB who has done it.

Everybody knows Aikman wanted Switzer gone, and while Aikman didn't ask Jones to fire Gailey everyone knows Aikman demanded a new playcaller. Elway essentially got Dan Reeves run off in Denver. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

Two, even if he did, there's no guarantee Jerry doesn't call his bluff. You underestimate how much Jerry loves his puppet.

Garrett never made Jones 1 cent in money, Romo did. Further, Garrett has been one of many Jerry puppets, he could always find another one. Not like this is the first one he's ever had.

Three, even if he did that, you'd blame him for rabblerousing, going outside his authority, being a drama queen, etc.

I don't blame Aikman for what he did, he was obviously 100% right both times. Other that tooty fruity CZers, nobody believes Garrett should be here, everyone else int he world would think Romo was doing the right thing, including you.

The weird thing is I'm not even the biggest Romo fan around. I know how lucky we were to have him, but I also know he's flawed. But to blame him for Jerry's choice of head coach is crazy.

I have no idea what role (if any) Romo played in Garrett getting the job to begin with, but yeah he does deserve blame one way or another for Garrett STILL being here. Either he thinks he is a good coach or he just fucking doesn't care about winning.

Top Bottom