Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
doom and gloom guys
REALITY guys. It's not "doom and gloom" to respond predictably, to 20-plus years of quite predictable mediocrity. People who aren't simply stupid, learn to temper their expectations and enthusiasm and stopped being mindless idiot cheerleaders around age 25 on average.

Trying to conflate quite natural intelligent objectivity based on the history of results, with just plain negativism is a old saw.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That can't happen until Jerry dies and then we can all look forward the camera panning to his eternal flame in the end zone at every home game!

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Just a question for you guys. Why the hell do you even watch?
I have loved the Cowboys since I was 4.

They have the worst owner/GM in the history of sports
Agreed.

have the worst future owner (because he's just as bad as his dad)
Don't agree. I'm actually hopeful once Jerry is "gone."

we will always have the worst coach in all of sports
Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson can spoil you. Jason Garrett just seems like a bit of a fraud. Great press conferences, media and players love him, but disappears in big moments. Tony Dungy, a Hall of Fame coach, was fired because he couldn't get the Bucs over the hump. Garrett may find himself in a similar circumstance if we don't advance with this talented offense.

If I was watching/following something I though was this horrible I would just stop watching and move on to something that actually brought me some joy.
A common misnomer among the overly optimistic crowd. We are clearly still hopeful, however small, or we would stop watching. When the Dodgers traded Mike Piazza, and after two MLB strikes, I was done with baseball. Years of watching my daughter play basketball from AAu to college, and a Lakers team that just surrounded Kobe with trash at the end of his career, almost killed my basketball interest.

Every year I hope this is the year that the Cowboys somehow succeeds despite Jerry. Something he has not done, at least to the level of success the Cowboys had the first 22 years of my life, without Jimmy Johnson's players. Tony Romo made this team competitive for the last several years and that gave me hope (suck it Dooms). Now, a rebuilt O Line, a horrible season that netted us Zeke, and a miracle late 4th round pick, gives me hope. I know I'm in for a probable kick in the nuts, but I still dare to hope.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Tony Romo made this team competitive
He made it entertaining. Gave it that special cardiac quality because you never knew if he was gonna pull a rabbit out of his hat, or shit the bed in grand fashion. The ultimate carrot/stick guy and we always fell for it. Hopefully Dak won't be nearly as entertaining, and just be a winner who protects the ball, has respect for it.
I know I'm in for a probable kick in the nuts, but I still dare to hope.
I do too, and I think we all do no matter how jaded we might be.

Further, I root for the players, the players who didn't ask to be saddled with this loserass coach and owner. Ones like Dak and Zeke, who if they don't know it yet probably should, but they really have no power, no choice. Can they succeed in spite of the entrenched, institutional mediocrity? Time will tell.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I have loved the Cowboys since I was 4.

Agreed.

Don't agree. I'm actually hopeful once Jerry is "gone."

Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson can spoil you. Jason Garrett just seems like a bit of a fraud. Great press conferences, media and players love him, but disappears in big moments. Tony Dungy, a Hall of Fame coach, was fired because he couldn't get the Bucs over the hump. Garrett may find himself in a similar circumstance if we don't advance with this talented offense.

A common misnomer among the overly optimistic crowd. We are clearly still hopeful, however small, or we would stop watching. When the Dodgers traded Mike Piazza, and after two MLB strikes, I was done with baseball. Years of watching my daughter play basketball from AAu to college, and a Lakers team that just surrounded Kobe with trash at the end of his career, almost killed my basketball interest.

Every year I hope this is the year that the Cowboys somehow succeeds despite Jerry. Something he has not done, at least to the level of success the Cowboys had the first 22 years of my life, without Jimmy Johnson's players. Tony Romo made this team competitive for the last several years and that gave me hope (suck it Dooms). Now, a rebuilt O Line, a horrible season that netted us Zeke, and a miracle late 4th round pick, gives me hope. I know I'm in for a probable kick in the nuts, but I still dare to hope.

That's pretty much how I feel. In spite of the years of mediocrity I still have hope that this blind squirrel of a team will find a nut. I'm also a huge Mavs fan and I stuck with them through the 90's. if I can do that then having some optimism for this Cowboys team isn't that hard.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't disagree with everything but I'm curious as to why do you doom and gloom guys continue to watch and post? If I was watching/following something I though was this horrible I would just stop watching and move on to something that actually brought me some joy.
I almost have done that. Unfortunately, Jason and the Jones boys have almost wrung the enthusiasm out of me. Jerry obviously was terrible post Jimmy but it wasn't really that many years after the competitive years that Parcells showed up and brought the franchise a clue, and then I thought the first three Phillips years were fun (and I love defense much more than offense). But years later when it became clear it was Jerry's long-term plan to put a family friend/stooge in place from the start, and that Jason was such an empty suit and cliche machine, I started to not care nearly as much.

I still follow the team because for as long as I can remember, they've been my favorite team in my favorite sport, and it's a habit. Plus I like talking to you losers. :) But I've about hit the wall.

And BTW, not all is bad. They've drafted well lately and they've gotten incredibly lucky on the QB front, so they should be a good team. You don't need good coaching or ownership who truly cares about winning over the dollars if you have enough talent. But I absolutely can't stand our "leadership", or the way the team is covered by the mostly fawning local media. Seems like now being decent and trying hard is perfectly acceptable for this once-great franchise, and I don't think that was the case even as recently as a few years ago.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I almost have done that. Unfortunately, Jason and the Jones boys have almost wrung the enthusiasm out of me. Jerry obviously was terrible post Jimmy but it wasn't really that many years after the competitive years that Parcells showed up and brought the franchise a clue, and then I thought the first three Phillips years were fun (and I love defense much more than offense). But years later when it became clear it was Jerry's long-term plan to put a family friend/stooge in place from the start, and that Jason was such an empty suit and cliche machine, I started to not care nearly as much.

I still follow the team because for as long as I can remember, they've been my favorite team in my favorite sport, and it's a habit. Plus I like talking to you losers. :) But I've about hit the wall.

And BTW, not all is bad. They've drafted well lately and they've gotten incredibly lucky on the QB front, so they should be a good team. You don't need good coaching or ownership who truly cares about winning over the dollars if you have enough talent. But I absolutely can't stand our "leadership", or the way the team is covered by the mostly fawning local media. Seems like now being decent and trying hard is perfectly acceptable for this once-great franchise, and I don't think that was the case even as recently as a few years ago.

That makes sense. Some of my earliest memories are of me as a little kid while my dad tries to explain the concept of football and why the Cowboys are such a great team. It's pretty much impossible for me to not follow the team.

Having Will McClay on board and the recent success he's had in the draft definitely gives me hope. If they can continue to add to the defense through the draft I really think this team has a chance to be really good. They will have to overcome their coaching though. With Dak though I feel they have a chance.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
this my first offseason at dcu. is this what happens every offseason?

it gets so boring you homos start talking about your feelings and shit?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Wanna make something of it?!?!?!?!?!

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

So how does that talk make you feel?

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So how does that talk make you feel?

makes me feel like i want the godamn season to get started lol

i want to see what happens with: charlton, tapper, jaylon, rico, the guard and tackle positions on the oline, the rookies in the secondary, heath's bigger role, our new returner(s), switzer in the offense... etc etc

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Should they?

Matt Thornton (@MattThorntonNFL)
6/2/17, 11:15 PM
KC Chiefs just released WR Jeremy Maclin @jmac___19 who is IMHO one of the most underrated WR's in the NFL. #Cowboys have almost $20M in cap

No

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He would be the deep threat they need. They need a LB though. I'm not sold on Jalen. Now if they could sign both a LB and Maclin I'd be all for that.

Where does anyone keep getting the idea that Maclin is a "deep threat??? Because once upon a time 7 or 8 years ago he had a good 40 time?

Dude is a shell of his former self. last two years he's had yds per catch in the 12's and for his career its 13.5.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Where does anyone keep getting the idea that Maclin is a "deep threat??? Because once upon a time 7 or 8 years ago he had a good 40 time?

Dude is a shell of his former self. last two years he's had yds per catch in the 12's and for his career its 13.5.

Because no one watches the Chief's and the last time we saw Maclin (in Philly) he was a deep threat. Honestly doesn't seem that hard to figure out why people think of him as a deep threat.

Reaction score
Jets Decker and Harris released.

I think Dallas needs to get Washington but Harris is a very good player if they could get a one year deal for him.

Dallas really disabled themselves (actually and figuratively) with the TWilly signing. Unless he is earmarked to be a special teams maven, a flanker or H-back who gets moved around to block and catch short area passes and then just dirty work, he is just a liability. No one in the press is challenging his claim that he turned down money from other teams. That's usually drawn out by the player or admitted by the teams. The bottom line is, unless they are going to use him on special teams (and it can't be for KR or PR bc he fumbles),Dallas signed a disabled WR who's catch radius stops at his shoulders and his vertical is meaningless if he can't catch over his head. He doesn't seem to understand nuances of the game and he is shut down in single coverage.

But Brian Brown and Noah Brown are drawing attention because they both catch very well with their hands and run with power through coverage. But the media is a saying well they are fighting for Brice Butlers and Whiteheads roles. Shouldn't be. TWilly should be in competition just as much as anyone else.

Top Bottom