6. Cameron Johnston, Ohio State (P)
7. Younghoe Koo, Georgia Southern (K)
8. Hayden Hunt, Colorado St. (P)
9. Harrison Butker, Georgia Tech (K)
10. Eric Keena, North Texas (P)

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Casting a wide net I realize, but one of the following players will be our 1st round pick.

Wide receivers
3. *John Ross, Washington

Tight ends
1. O.J. Howard, Alabama

Offensive tackles
1. *Garett Bolles, Utah

Defensive ends
4. Taco Charlton, Michigan
5. *Derek Barnett, Tennessee
1. Takkarist McKinley, UCLA

Inside linebackers
3. *Raekwon McMillan, Ohio State
4. *Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt

Cornerbacks
4. *Sidney Jones, Washington
5. *Quincy Wilson, Florida

Safeties
2. **Jabrill Peppers, Michigan
4. *Budda Baker, Washington
9. Justin Evans, Texas A&M

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Casting a wide net I realize, but one of the following players will be our 1st round pick.

OT Boiles in the first? You not a fan of Free? I just can't see any way they use a first rounder on the OL

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Taco Charlton or Sidney Jones would be my pick (but I don't think either will still be on the board at 28)

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Taco Charlton or Sidney Jones would be my pick (but I don't think either will still be on the board at 28)

I think Sydney Jones or CB will be there and worth taking. I dont think a pass rusher worth taking will be, unless you wanna take a chance on Tim Williams,or somebody like that.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I think Sydney Jones or CB will be there and worth taking. I dont think a pass rusher worth taking will be, unless you wanna take a chance on Tim Williams,or somebody like that.

Tim Williams would be another cross your fingers and hope you don't get another Randy Gregory (according to the internet rumors). Hoping Dallas has learned their lesson on that

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Tim Williams would be another cross your fingers and hope you don't get another Randy Gregory (according to the internet rumors). Hoping Dallas has learned their lesson on that

Reasonably sure if the rumors on him are true that he wont be on our draft board.

There are some Bama people I know who say the "rumors" are not only true about him, but there's a lot of stuff to still be uncovered.

Reaction score

Practically speaking I just don't understand the TE need. I was watching some highlight footage of passes of Romo to Escobar and he just seems like he was underused or just ignored especially in the red zone. Seemed like he could have. When used all the time. He's not fast but he is tall and has good hands. Maybe we kept him on the team waiting for him to eventually be built into a WR or so no other teams get him and use him the right way. Unless you Jason Witten who was grandfathered into Garrett's scheme with a role that probably won't be given to any other TE, what is the use. Think about the ridiculous use of bubble screens to Bennett or Geoff Swaim used on out patterns that are inches across the LOS or Hanna needing to stay in and block for blitzes so the WRs can get downfield into their timing patterns? It's all just talk and wastes. If we get Howard he is going to have to sit behind everyone else, then he will have to block and then there will be press conferences about him "picking up the nuances of the offenses" and "he's beginning to show some good things in how he is blocking and making adjustments" and "we have to be careful how we use him".

But 3rd down and short or 1st and goal will come and go with a constant empty set pass plays featuring Dez back shoulder and the ever present run back and forth in the endzone until someone is sacked or open.

With exception to the 2016 games up until the Viking game where the ball was intentionally spread around (kind of like the Patriots do), the Garrett pass offense has no direction for a nonWitten TE. It's all about the WRs and really it's just kind of one play over and over with different personnel groupings. Garrett must have his empty set.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
OT Boiles in the first? You not a fan of Free? I just can't see any way they use a first rounder on the OL

Free needs to be replaced. He'll be in the last year of his deal and they could create cap room by releasing him. At best he needs to take a paycut and compete for his job and maybe backup swing T.

Ideally Chaz Green would stay healthy and win the job in camp this year, but if they think he will never be healthy enough to depend on then finding another T capable of playing RT and LT in this draft is something we need.

I was totally against using our pick this past draft on another T (I thought it was massive overkill and wasting an opportunity to really improve the team elsewhere) but at pick 28, if a guy who is a walk in 10 year starter at RT is there and is rated considerably higher than a player at another position, I wont go ape shit over it.

That said, I think OL is addressed later in the draft this year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Practically speaking I just don't understand the TE need. I was watching some highlight footage of passes of Romo to Escobar and he just seems like he was underused or just ignored especially in the red zone. Seemed like he could have. When used all the time. He's not fast but he is tall and has good hands. Maybe we kept him on the team waiting for him to eventually be built into a WR or so no other teams get him and use him the right way. Unless you Jason Witten who was grandfathered into Garrett's scheme with a role that probably won't be given to any other TE, what is the use. Think about the ridiculous use of bubble screens to Bennett or Geoff Swaim used on out patterns that are inches across the LOS or Hanna needing to stay in and block for blitzes so the WRs can get downfield into their timing patterns? It's all just talk and wastes. If we get Howard he is going to have to sit behind everyone else, then he will have to block and then there will be press conferences about him "picking up the nuances of the offenses" and "he's beginning to show some good things in how he is blocking and making adjustments" and "we have to be careful how we use him".

But 3rd down and short or 1st and goal will come and go with a constant empty set pass plays featuring Dez back shoulder and the ever present run back and forth in the endzone until someone is sacked or open.

With exception to the 2016 games up until the Viking game where the ball was intentionally spread around (kind of like the Patriots do), the Garrett pass offense has no direction for a nonWitten TE. It's all about the WRs and really it's just kind of one play over and over with different personnel groupings. Garrett must have his empty set.

Unlike the last 3 times the team used a high pick on a TE, Witten is no longer in his prime and is clearly close to retirement. It appears he is coming back for 2017, but I strongly suspect that's it for him. The draft is more about planning for the future than the immediate present. if OJ Howard were available at 28, I think he'd have to be a strong consideration here.

Reaction score
Chaz Green? Really? Still? Do you have game that you thought he played well in last year that shows his potential to take over that Tackle position?

Reaction score
Unlike the last 3 times the team used a high pick on a TE, Witten is no longer in his prime and is clearly close to retirement. It appears he is coming back for 2017, but I strongly suspect that's it for him. The draft is more about planning for the future than the immediate present. if OJ Howard were available at 28, I think he'd have to be a strong consideration here.

I see the talent with Howard no doubt but it's more like we won't see what he can do until Garrett is reduced or dispatched.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Chaz Green? Really? Still? Do you have game that you thought he played well in last year that shows his potential to take over that Tackle position?

Yeah, he played pretty good in every game he played, especially considering his rookie year was a washout.

He played 2 1/2 games or so in place of Tyron Smith and was not a problem on the field. He clearly has talent.

Problem is he has to figure out how to stay healthy, something he hasn't done here or in college.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Free needs to be replaced. He'll be in the last year of his deal and they could create cap room by releasing him. At best he needs to take a paycut and compete for his job and maybe backup swing T.

Ideally Chaz Green would stay healthy and win the job in camp this year, but if they think he will never be healthy enough to depend on then finding another T capable of playing RT and LT in this draft is something we need.

I was totally against using our pick this past draft on another T (I thought it was massive overkill and wasting an opportunity to really improve the team elsewhere) but at pick 28, if a guy who is a walk in 10 year starter at RT is there and is rated considerably higher than a player at another position, I wont go ape shit over it.

That said, I think OL is addressed later in the draft this year.

Fair enough, however, why not move Collins to RT and spend a 3rd rounder on a replacement G. We need defense so badly on this team it's not even funny

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Fair enough, however, why not move Collins to RT and spend a 3rd rounder on a replacement G. We need defense so badly on this team it's not even funny

It really sounds like they don't think he can play T on a week to week basis.

Top Bottom