cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
No, I just don't have this irrational hatred of him. I think he was a pretty good quarterback who was stuck with a poor roster for a good part of his career, at least on defense, and even worse coaching. I think he still has some good years left on a team that isn't the Dallas Cowboys. Peyton Manning played all of last year with serious injury concerns and in reality, the last few years after experimental neck surgery he had to go outside of the US to get. Romo has been hurt but he also got a whole year off. Could he get hurt? Sure. Is it a foregone conclusion like you dream of? Not really.

You hate him. I like him. I respect and appreciate what he did here.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I just don't have this irrational hatred of him.
Me either. When you find anything like that, be sure to let me know.
I think he was a pretty good quarterback who was stuck with a poor roster for a good part of his career, at least on defense, and even worse coaching.
No doubt about any of that. But, he thinks he's had great coaching. How do you square that?
I respect and appreciate what he did here.
Yep that's what the millions he was paid, covered.

The difference seems to be, I am aware of and truly concerned about his future health and mobility, you just want to see him play.
the last few years after experimental neck surgery he had to go outside of the US to get.
You mean the stem cell treatment he got, that wasn't the actual surgery he finally got that enabled him to continue playing?

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Dallas really is in a catch 22 with the Romo situation. Trade him and you only save about 5 million which isn't much to make a splash in free agency but they could get a mid round pick.

Make him a June 1st cut and you are able to spread the salary hit over two seasons but most free agents will be sign before this date.

Either way Cowboys can't be major players in free agency. As someone mentioned before you can way until a team gets desperate for a quarterback due to some starter injury and get way more compensation in draft picks. I think this is the best scenario.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dallas really is in a catch 22 with the Romo situation. Trade him and you only save about 5 million which isn't much to make a splash in free agency but they could get a mid round pick.

Make him a June 1st cut and you are able to spread the salary hit over two seasons but most free agents will be sign before this date.

Either way Cowboys can't be major players in free agency. As someone mentioned before you can way until a team gets desperate for a quarterback due to some starter injury and get way more compensation in draft picks. I think this is the best scenario.
Earlier it was pointed out we could keep him one more year to have best financial advantage when then he leaves after that year. Additionally this does not prevent them from trading him before the deadline, to just such desperate team as you mention. Would really increase their leverage as well.

Best purely business strategy seems to be, to hold on to him as long as possible.

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Earlier it was pointed out we could keep him one more year to have best financial advantage when then he leaves after that year. Additionally this does not prevent them from trading him before the deadline, to just such desperate team as you mention. Would really increase their leverage as well.

Best purely business strategy seems to be, to hold on to him as long as possible.

I agree.

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The problem though is, Jerry won't make a purely business decision on it. He's going to be more interested in "what's best for Tony."

That's true as well. I wonder how much money Ty Crawford counts against us. I would love to throw him in the trade to get rid of his contract.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We have NO backup QB the minute Romo leaves. Buttfumble and Moore? The case for keeping Romo at least one more year is pretty strong IMO.

Top Bottom