dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What other coaches were on the market in 93/94?

It was just poorly thought out. Jerry and Jimmy both knew there was an issue before the 93 season ever ended. If Jerry had any fucking sense, he'd have sat down with Norv before he bolted to Washington and said "look, something may go down here and you may end up HC (which Troy would have loved, and so would the team itself) so hang around a bit longer, if it doesn't work out I'll give yuou a huge raise and we can talk again next yr" While Norv has proven he was never an upper echelon HC, had he inherited that Dallas team his entire coaching career may have been looed at differently.

But like everything Jerry did from 94-2002, he did it on a whim and without thinking, so it didn't work.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Him too

Troy flat out refused to throw to him because he was a lousy route runner. another Jerry draft special.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
And he's really no better today. He just got lucky that 1) he's getting so old that his son had to take over more of the day-to-day duties and 2) he hit the powerball with Dak.

He still does idiotic and petty things, though. In that Lacewell interview I recorded last year, LL pretty much admitted a reason for going back to the 43 defense was to erase Parcells' fingerprints.

Do you have a link to that interview? The irrational, petty "logic" used by this asshole enrages me.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't notice that

I did enjoy the subtle digs at jeri and not seeing much of jeri in the show at all. Except when he makes his dumbass, dismissive toward Aikman, reiteration of Barry Switzers comments:

"Troy, I'll never forget one time, said we need some harder, more physical practices. Now Barry winked and said, you know, the only one I've ever heard say that is the quarterback"

Yeah. Fucking stupid. Your franchise, SB winning QB is telling you what the issues are and you blow it off with a wink.

I was surprised just how candid Troy was and listening to him explain why he left. He wasn't going to hang around with a bunch of scrubs and an ineffective front office and watch his career deteriorate any further. Troy is telling you everything you need to know about how this franchise was run for anyone that will listen.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't think Jones has 100% free reign anymore like he did from 94-02, and that's a good thing.

He still has it, for whatever reason he's decided not to use it and thank gawd for that and whomever has convinced him not to follow his innate urges.

All it will take is someone provoking his pride to motivate his dumbass to make some stupid move to remind everyone who is in charge

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Another thing that rarely gets brought up is that regardless of Jerry's ego and stupidity, Jimmy was gone anyways. He's said that himself. He had already gotten to the top of the mountain in Dallas and wanted a new challenge and wanted to get back to Florida. Even if Jerry kissed his ass he was ready to leave Dallas.

No doubt he wasnt going to be a lifer like Landry but it appears he had every intention of coming back in 94'. Case in point, you can see him recruiting Deon at his last Super Bowl:

Jimmy Johnson recruiting Deion - YouTube

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Troy flat out refused to throw to him because he was a lousy route runner. another Jerry draft special.

Kevin Williams was a terrible route runner too. I still vividly recall Aikman and Irvin just ripping Williams' ass in that GB playoff game his rookie yr (1993) for running the wrong route. And it was something he did his entire stay here.

Then they had no talent slobs like Billy Davis and Jeff Ogden out there running around, in addition to the ultimate publicity stunt Deion playing WR almost FT that one yr.

Aikman was a legit HOFer but his career could have been even more amazing with a better GM.

Reaction score
Any time you want to praise Jerry for being better, just remember he wanted desperately to draft Johnny Manziel.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Kevin Williams was a terrible route runner too. I still vividly recall Aikman and Irvin just ripping Williams' ass in that GB playoff game his rookie yr (1993) for running the wrong route. And it was something he did his entire stay here.

he was a good punt returner, though. hard to believe a shrimp like him was our #2 receiver in '95. good thing Irvin had a huge year that season.

Then they had no talent slobs like Billy Davis and Jeff Ogden out there running around, in addition to the ultimate publicity stunt Deion playing WR almost FT that one yr.

no love for Chris Brazzell or Cornell Burbage?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Kevin Williams was a terrible route runner too.

perhaps so, I don't know but he did make a crucial catch** against the Giants in the 95 season that allowed them to come back and win, then when the Niners lost the next week and opened the door for Dallas to get home field advantage, it paved the road for their 3rd SB win.

No way that tired team wins the super bowl without the bye and Williams catch** was crucial in achieving this.

** Giants lead 20-18 with around 2 minutes to go in the game. Dallas has the ball at the Giants 38 yard line and its 3rd and 10. Aikman throws a sideline pass to Kevin Williams who makes a great diving catch for 11 yards and the first down. If he doesn't make that catch, Dallas has to attempt a 55 yard field goal or try to convert a 4th and 10.

Huge play imo.

I think if Dallas had lost that game, there's a good chance they tank, that team was TIRED (and if you watch the Americas Team on that season, you'll hear all the players mention this and how the super bowl win was more of a relief vs a celebration). Also, Dallas was 10-4 but had lost to SF, so they would lose any tie breaker for home field advantage to the Niners. IIRC, while on the plane to Arizona, the team learned that SF had lost to Atlanta and turned what otherwise would have been a meaningless game into playing for home field advantage. Imo, the Williams catch coupled with the SF loss to Atlanta gave life back into a team that appeared ready to fold after the fiasco loss in Philly (the one with the back to back failed 4th down conversions).

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's in his book so I'll take his word on it - Jimmy was perfectly fine with staying in Dallas until the drunken incident where Jerry said 100 people could coach that team. That brought to a head all the other minor grievances and made them into actual straws, the last of which was that drunken encounter.

All that said, after a 3rd SB win I bet Jimmy hangs it up anyway. He's on record many times saying he wasn't after any longevety records in coaching.

Reaction score
IIRC he (Kevin Williams) had either a big game or a big reception against the Cardinals too.

I remember watching that game and seeing Emmitt get the single season touchdown record (since broken multiple times) with 25. I also remember my first love calling me. We had broken up prior to this, and for a while I wanted her back, but by then I was over her and she had decided she wanted me back but I wasn't interested. I remember this specifically because she was pouring her heart out to me and I was annoyed and half listening and when Emmitt got the record I started cheering and she got pissed at me because she was confessing her love to me and I cared more about the game. Later, her family moved to a shit hold redneck town about an hour away and she in turn became a pill head junkie with three kids with three different men.

Kind of off topic, eh?

GO COWBOYS

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
he was a good punt returner, though. hard to believe a shrimp like him was our #2 receiver in '95. good thing Irvin had a huge year that season.

no love for Chris Brazzell or Cornell Burbage?

Brazzell was another of those preseason all pros wasn't he?

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Later, her family moved to a shit hold redneck town about an hour away and she in turn became a pill head junkie with three kids with three different men.

Who would have ever thought that Emmitt getting the record would drive her to that :bouncytatas

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It's in his book so I'll take his word on it - Jimmy was perfectly fine with staying in Dallas until the drunken incident where Jerry said 100 people could coach that team. That brought to a head all the other minor grievances and made them into actual straws, the last of which was that drunken encounter.

All that said, after a 3rd SB win I bet Jimmy hangs it up anyway. He's on record many times saying he wasn't after any longevety records in coaching.

Actually I think he said 500 coaches

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I think he talked about it a few times after, but wasn't he under a ten year deal or something? IIRC he was saying there's no way he was going to honor it.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
IIRC he (Kevin Williams) had either a big game or a big reception against the Cardinals too.

I remember watching that game and seeing Emmitt get the single season touchdown record (since broken multiple times) with 25. I also remember my first love calling me. We had broken up prior to this, and for a while I wanted her back, but by then I was over her and she had decided she wanted me back but I wasn't interested. I remember this specifically because she was pouring her heart out to me and I was annoyed and half listening and when Emmitt got the record I started cheering and she got pissed at me because she was confessing her love to me and I cared more about the game. Later, her family moved to a shit hold redneck town about an hour away and she in turn became a pill head junkie with three kids with three different men.

Kind of off topic, eh?

GO COWBOYS

Lol, young "love" where whomever "loves" the least, wins.

My dumb ass was kind of seeing a gal at that time that was stunning, intelligent, great family (despite being packer fans) and had a huge rack (my weakness) but I had just come out of a relationship and was so burned out, I couldn't bring myself to dive into another relationship regardless of how appealing she was. Ran into her about 10 years later and found out she was married, had two kids and looked even hotter than the last time I saw her.

FUCK!!

Only woman in my life I look back on and think: "I may have fucked up."

Anyway, yes K-Will had a HUGE game vs the Cards: 9 receptions for 203 yards and 2 TDs plus 3 rushes for 21 yards plus 4 punt returns for 83 yards for a total of 307 yards and 2 TDs. They crushed the Cardinals 37 -13 and it was "game on" for a Super Bowl run.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Anyway, yes K-Will had a HUGE game vs the Cards: 9 receptions for 203 yards and 2 TDs plus 3 rushes for 21 yards plus 4 punt returns for 83 yards for a total of 307 yards and 2 TDs. They crushed the Cardinals 37 -13 and it was "game on" for a Super Bowl run.

Yeah it was the only good game he had all year in 1995. The rest of the season (15 games) he had less than 30 catches for 400 yds and no TDS.

He was a great return guy but he was lousy at WR.

Reaction score
I think he talked about it a few times after, but wasn't he under a ten year deal or something? IIRC he was saying there's no way he was going to honor it.
That was always what he said after the fact. Maybe he really did think that. But I think he probably would have won the SB in 1994. Then he's won three in a row and set the NFL record. Maybe he comes back for a fourth. Then who knows. Things may have been different.

Top Bottom