icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How so? Got any good stories (links)?

just from reading the stories from this thread, i can only conclude that switzer was trolling jimmy before trolling became a thing.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
FYI

I just listened to Aikman on The Ticket and he said he was initially going to go play for San Diego (with Norv Turner) instead of retiring but then SD acquired Doug Flutie so Troy retired because he didn't want to play anywhere else.

He also reiterated that several years after he retired, Andy Reid called him mid season, after McNabb got hurt, to see if he would come play for the Eagles. Then Dave Wannstedt pursued him to come to Miami but then the GM at Miami got cold feet and it never happened.

He also said jeri asked Troy before Jimmy had even been fired what Troy thought about Switzer and Troy told jeri he wasn't comfortable talking about this and he and the rest of the team want Jimmy to stay but if Switzer was hired, he thinks he will be a good coach. Then Troy says but the Switzer that showed up in Dallas was a totally different guy, nothing like he was at OU.

He also reiterated why he left and said he didn't trust the way "the organization" (aka jeri) was making decisions and felt they were made based on comfort, not on whats best for winning.

I wish I could find the interview, it was really good. It bums me out when they talk to Troy because they always rush him off the air to get to a commercial and it aways sounds like Troy would be happy to keep talking and this would have been a great subject to extend the segment.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It certainly appears jeri's "comfort" is the #1 criteria for any coach hoping to get a job with the Cowboys."

Aikman just confirmed this on an interview on The Ticket using that exact word

I'm pissed off all over again

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Heard that this morning, and yeah, it was a great interview. I also wish it could have gone longer. Half the time Troy seems ready to be ready to get the interview over with, but today he was kind of rolling.

Funny how he said the statute of limitations had sort of run out on talking about these things he used to keep secret to protect people. But like he said, it probably worked out not going to Miami because that team was farther away than they thought at the time.

The Unticket can't put up full shows anymore, but I bet that one interview will be on there. If nothing else, it's sure to make the Top Ten tonight. (There isn't a stupid Stars game tonight, is there?)

But damn, Troy is awesome. Old school. Doesn't give one shit about calling out Jerry or his old coach Switzer. ("I think he just missed being called 'coach' and getting slapped on the back around town.")

Last edited:

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Half the time Troy seems ready to be ready to get the interview over with

Perceptions are a funny thing, I always feel like George is rushing Troy off the line when he seems ready to keep chewing the fat.

This reminds me of how some Dallas fans think Troy hates the Cowboys when he's calling the games whereas non cowboy fans think he's a homer

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Heard that this morning, and yeah, it was a great interview. I also wish it could have gone longer. Half the time Troy seems ready to be ready to get the interview over with, but today he was kind of rolling.

Funny how he said the statute of limitations had sort of run out on talking about these things he used to keep secret to protect people. But like he said, it probably worked out not going to Miami because that team was farther away than they thought at the time.

The Unticket can't put up full shows anymore, but I bet that one interview will be on there. If nothing else, it's sure to make the Top Ten tonight. (There isn't a stupid Stars game tonight, is there?)

But damn, Troy is awesome. Old school. Doesn't give one shit about calling out Jerry or his old coach Switzer. ("I think he just missed being called 'coach' and getting slapped on the back around town.")

I don't know if anyone on here was on AOL back when he was playing, but Troy used to do regular chat sessions with a huge group of us. It was really cool. He'd be on for about an hour and answer questions, chat about football in general or just any of the other topics of the day. This would have been during the Super Bowl years if anyone else remembers.

Reaction score
The clip in the football life where he went off on some schmuck assistant about "fucking lazy ass fucking losers, why am I the one who has to light a fucking fire under their ass, I'm fucking tired of this shit" was badass.

I think a couple of weeks back he said he had been approached about writing a book but wasn't interested at the time. Now that Joe Buck has his book out and he's read it, I think he said he was considering it. That would be must-read shit.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The clip in the football life where he went off on some schmuck assistant about "fucking lazy ass fucking losers, why am I the one who has to light a fucking fire under their ass, I'm fucking tired of this shit" was badass.

I think a couple of weeks back he said he had been approached about writing a book but wasn't interested at the time. Now that Joe Buck has his book out and he's read it, I think he said he was considering it. That would be must-read shit.

Gawd I'd love it if he did, especially if he came out and blatantly said what he repeatedly alluded to: that jeri was the cause of the downfall and is a clueless, dipshit concerned only about his personal comfort and sucking all the oxygen out of the room when it comes to credit

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That's me, yelling at the TV every Cowboys game up until this year. Now I only yell a little. The part where while he was going off, talking about the head coach who slaps butts and claps and crap? The whole tirade, it's almost verbatim. Kind of freaked me out to see it.

Reaction score

So put him in the Garrett offense in the 8-8 years and I could see him screaming at the O-line that he was not given enough time and that no one was open. He would probably also complain that running plays were not being emphasized. Romo caused the winning 8 with his instinct and elusiveness. Aikman probably would not have fared as well and may have then forced Garrett to change or leave.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Was Troy on with the Musers? The Ticket has a podcast of all their shows. The Troy interview is on there.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Troy Aikman to the Eagles? The Cowboys great details how it almost happened

Joe Stefanchik/The Dallas Morning News

Three different times Troy Aikman considered playing again after he was released by the Cowboys. And one of those times, the potential landing spot was the hated Philadelphia Eagles.

In a Thursday interview with KTCK-AM (1310) The Ticket, Aikman detailed how he almost quit his broadcasting job at Fox to suit up for Philly after Donovan McNabb was lost for the 2002 season.

"So I retired, got into broadcasting. Then it was two years later when I got a call from Andy Reid in the middle of a game that I was broadcasting after Donovan McNabb had broken his leg," Aikman said. "He wanted me to sign with Philadelphia and come out of retirement right then and go to work for them.

"And I gave it some consideration - actually I told Andy I was going to sleep on it and call him in the morning.

"I called my producer at Fox and asked him what he thought my career was long-term in television. Then I called [former Cowboys offensive coordinator] Norv Turner and talked to him about it from the football perspective.

"And I woke up the next morning and I just thought, 'Man, is this something I really want to do?' And I decided against it. So I called Andy and said, 'Look. I appreciate the interest, but I'm going to stay put and best of luck.'

"And they ended up going on and having success with A.J. Feely. And ultimately they made it to the NFC championship game that year."

So what about the other two times he almost kept on playing? Aikman detailed those, too.

San Diego, in 2000

After being released by Dallas, "I didn't know if I wanted to retire or if I wanted to continue to play. I was having conversations with the San Diego Chargers because Norv was the offensive coordinator there.

"When I decided to get released by the Cowboys, I had already determined in my mind that I was going to the Chargers. So I had planned to play the very next season with the Chargers. And [general manager] John Butler, he had come to San Diego from Buffalo, and at that time Buffalo was either going to release Doug Flutie or Rob Johnson as their quarterback. They had both of those guys at Buffalo.

"So when I got released by Dallas, the next morning, I thought I was going to go to San Diego. I got a call from Norv and he said, 'Hey we just signed Doug Flutie.' So then they obviously had no interest in signing me. And I said, well I'm not interested in going anywhere else, so that makes the decision for me. I'm just going to go ahead and retire.

"And that was the year they drafted Drew Brees and LaDainian Tomlinson, so had I gone to San Diego I would have been kind of grooming Drew Brees as the quarterback."

Miami, in 2003

"And then after the [2002] season and the Super Bowl was about to happen in San Diego, I got a call from Dave Wannstedt, and he said, 'Hey do you have time to get together when we're at the Super Bowl to just have a conversation?' And I said sure.

"So I got together with him. He was the head coach at Miami. Norv Turner was the offensive coordinator. Norv has been the common thread in all of this. He asked me if I would have any consideration to coming out of retirement and playing. And initially he caught me off guard. And the more I thought about it that week, I called him after I got back from the Super Bowl and said, 'Dave, I've given this a lot of thought, and I'm interested. I want to do it. I think I want to come out and I want to play.' And he said, 'Well, we can't sign you right now because signing date isn't until March. We've got to hold off on this.'

"Long and short of it was Rick Spielman, who's now the GM for the Minnesota Vikings, he was the general manager for the Dolphins at the time. Everyone wanted to do it, but Rick just was nervous about the whole thing. He thought, how does the look if I came in and then couldn't finish the season or got hurt early or had a concussion? He just had some trepidation about it, and he couldn't pull the trigger.

"As it turned out, it was another blessing in disguise for me. The Dolphins thought they were just a quarterback away from going all the way, and they were actually were much further away. And that year they ended up going 6-10 or something. They had a terrible year. So I look back on both of those, whether it be the Chargers or the Dolphins and say I'm glad that I didn't do it and that I played my entire career with Dallas."

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
One thing that no one really talks about here is the Steve Walsh trade. The Cowboys gave up what became the #1 overall pick to get Steve Walsh. That 1990 draft was great but can you imagine if they kept that pick? I think if they had, they would have drafted Cortez Kennedy or Junior Seau. One of those guys and Emmitt in the 1st round!

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
One thing that no one really talks about here is the Steve Walsh trade. The Cowboys gave up what became the #1 overall pick to get Steve Walsh. That 1990 draft was great but can you imagine if they kept that pick? I think if they had, they would have drafted Cortez Kennedy or Junior Seau. One of those guys and Emmitt in the 1st round!

Umm, we traded Walsh for a 1st a 2nd and a 3rd round pick, which after a couple more trades added up to Erik Williams and Russell Maryland. Not bad at all. That's why no one really talks about it.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, but I think it's pretty disingenuous of Jimmy to talk like he only wanted Walsh to trade him. Tim Cowlishaw was saying the other day on his show (he was covering the team back then) that Jimmy told him point blank he had big doubts about Aikman and thought he had some serious limitations they'd just have to work around. Hard to believe he could be so wrong, but I guess he was just blinded by his experience with Walsh at Miami.

Top Bottom