MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yeah, but I think it's pretty disingenuous of Jimmy to talk like he only wanted Walsh to trade him. Tim Cowlishaw was saying the other day on his show (he was covering the team back then) that Jimmy told him point blank he had big doubts about Aikman and thought he had some serious limitations they'd just have to work around. Hard to believe he could be so wrong, but I guess he was just blinded by his experience with Walsh at Miami.

Dak, Tom Brady, and Russell Wilson are perfect examples that even the best talent evaluators can be WAY off.

Reaction score
Also I believe it's Pearlmans book, Boys will be Boys where he talks about how Jimmy wasn't sold on Troy and preferred Walsh, and how he also almost traded away Irvin after his knee injury.

I think Jerry was a defensive coach, and he knew what he wanted on defense and what he saw in players. Offensively I don't think he was as good of a talent evaluator. Wasn't his wheelhouse.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Also I believe it's Pearlmans book, Boys will be Boys where he talks about how Jimmy wasn't sold on Troy and preferred Walsh, and how he also almost traded away Irvin after his knee injury.

I think Jerry was a defensive coach, and he knew what he wanted on defense and what he saw in players. Offensively I don't think he was as good of a talent evaluator. Wasn't his wheelhouse.

Wasn't Irvin's knee injury during his rookie year when Landry was still the coach?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, but I think it's pretty disingenuous of Jimmy to talk like he only wanted Walsh to trade him. Tim Cowlishaw was saying the other day on his show (he was covering the team back then) that Jimmy told him point blank he had big doubts about Aikman and thought he had some serious limitations they'd just have to work around. Hard to believe he could be so wrong, but I guess he was just blinded by his experience with Walsh at Miami.

I really don't think he had doubts about Aikman, but I do agree with what you said about he only drafted him to trade him.

I remember Jimmy commenting publicly when they made the move that after studying the NFL and talking to a number of really good coaches, that he learned then that you HAD to have a QB. He wanted to cover his bases and figured having two guys increased his odds of hitting on the position.

I don't think there was any doubt after training camp that first year who the real talent was at the position and who was clearly a guy who gravy trained off the backs of a great team at Miami.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I finally watched this last night. Really reminded me how great Troy was, both as a physical talent and as a leader. Not that I ever doubted it, but a reminder never hurts.

Also shows such a stark contrast between those Jimmy days and this shitshow Garrett and Jerry preside over. Makes me sick. Jerry's fucking little salesman wink when talking about Barry's soft practices made me rage.

We may finally win a Superbowl off sheer luck in finally drafting well enough to amass the talent that can overcome our shit management. Maybe that happens after 20 years of trying. But it won't be because this organization is run or head coached worth a damn.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Above all Jimmy loves winning. Hell, he even hired a tutor to teach him some basics in ice skating, after his wife arranged a skating party for the staff back in his Iowa State days. There all his co-workers were falling and busting their asses, and here was Jimmy Jumpup doing tricks, totally confident on the ice. The man wants to WIN and isn't afraid of doing the work that winning takes. And I believe he could have eaten more of Jerry's shit, to keep winning. If not only for the one, last, final drunken straw.

So yeah, I agree wicha.

LMAO! Damn, I wish they had a youtube video of that shit

Top Bottom