dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
May as well sticky this and just keep adding to it, other than our playoff run its going to be the biggest story with our team for the coming months, and especially once the season ends.

Tony Romo eyeing Broncos as offseason destination

By Ian Rapoport
NFL Media Insider
Published: Nov. 20, 2016 at 09:09 a.m.
Updated: Nov. 20, 2016 at 10:13 a.m.

When Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo stepped to the podium Tuesday and delivered his memorable soliloquy in handing control of the offense over to Dak Prescott, the team's brass wasn't sure exactly what he was going to say.

They were in constant conversations with him, so they knew it wouldn't be adversarial. But Romo didn't run it by the team's public relations staff. He didn't go over his speech with owner Jerry Jones. He simply wrote a letter, read it and solidified his legacy in the organization. As one member of the Cowboys' organization said, a lot of people preach being team-first, but when it was time to step up, "He walked the walk."

Now that Prescott is the Cowboys' starting quarterback for the foreseeable future, there are several factors and some fallout related to Romo assuming the role of backup via sources informed of the situation:

» The Cowboys view Prescott, who they picked at No. 135 in the draft, as their quarterback of the future. This should be obvious but worth mentioning. Every team with a franchise quarterback is faced with the challenge of following him up with another one. Dallas believes it has found a franchise quarterback. Every step along the way, Prescott has checked every box. With the caveat that it's still early, and that everyone must continue to compete, they feel like their future at quarterback is solid.

» Prescott's leash will be a long one. This is not a tryout or a game-by-game proposition for the Cowboys. Dak is the future, he's earned the job as Romo mentioned, and he's the starter. Based on my understanding, he'll be treated like any other starter. Moving forward it's his job, barring a meltdown that no one expects or, say, a miserable four-game losing streak. Romo is simply waiting.

» For Romo, to be able to read that letter to the public took months. He came a long way. As he alluded to publicly, Romo spent most of rehab in a "dark place." He was distant and not involved, even though he'd come to the facility regularly. That changed drastically as he got healthier. He's not only been involved in Prescott's development recently, but has come to accept the ascension. Romo did go to members of the Cowboys' brass to ask to compete for a job, but was told it's not in the team's best interests. As a source put it, "He's a fierce competitor, so of course it hurts. What red-blooded athlete wouldn't want to compete? But he understands."

» There will be a market for Romo this offseason, as the team will look to trade him. Though owner Jerry Jones said he's given no consideration to having Romo on another team, carrying him as the backup for another year doesn't seem realistic. Romo, I'm told, already has eyes on the Broncos as a possible destination if general manager John Elway decides Paxton Lynch needs another year and that Trevor Siemian isn't the guy. Other options, depending on a variety of factors, include the Bears, Jets, Cardinals, and Bills. When the Cowboys do trade him, they'll still have to deal with about a $20 million salary-cap hit. Romo will have significant say in the matter given that he will need to renegotiate his deal. He, essentially, could veto any move.

» Romo's friend and long-time confidant Jason Witten said he doesn't believe Romo will retire after this season. I'm told this actually is a consideration. Romo could retire a member of the Cowboys this year, it's one of the options depending on how the year plays out and how his body feels going forward. Romo does feel he's in better shape now than he's been in a while. If Romo retires, expect him to stay within the Cowboys' organization. He's very close to the Joneses, watching Jerry's grandson play football and he's traveled to at least one game on Jerry's private plane.

The rest will play out over the course of 2016, but don't be surprised if Romo is the most talked-about quarterback this offseason.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For the record, I do NOT hope Tony wins a Super Bowl with another team. He's not entitled to it, nor do I care what happens to players playing for a different team.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
For the record, I do NOT hope Tony wins a Super Bowl with another team. He's not entitled to it, nor do I care what happens to players playing for a different team.

Yeah I don't get that mentality either. Never have and never will.

Once they are gone from here, fuck them.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Tony Romo could stay in Dallas in 2017, will talk future with Jerry Jones

The long-time starter isn't a lock to play elsewhere after being supplanted by Dak Prescott
Jason La Canfora mugshot
by Jason La Canfora

Tony Romo's moving remarks about accepting a backup QB role and supporting Dak Prescott this season, but wanting to play again, sent NFL executives churning over where he might end up next season. It is hardly out of the question he remains with the Cowboys, according to sources close to the situation. Romo and owner Jerry Jones will sort out the situation in the offseason, and some sources believe it's possible the veteran stays in Dallas on a reworked contract.

The Cowboys can afford to keep Romo from a cap and cash standpoint -- especially given how little Prescott is making on his rookie contract -- and trading Romo before June 1 would trigger a $19.6 million dead cap hit. Romo, 36, has three years remaining on his deal beyond this year at an average of $18 million per season and has loved his time in Dallas, previously intending to retire as a lifelong Cowboy.

Romo's statement took the pressure off Jones, coach Jason Garrett and his teammates when it comes to addressing the quarterback dynamic. Team sources said it also took the "Prescott Watch" from a week-to-week proposition to a scenario where only a prolonged Prescott slump or injury would facilitate a quarterback change. Romo will wait to see how this season plays out and how strongly he feels about remaining in Dallas before addressing his future with management.

Numerous NFL execs said privately there will be a robust trade market for Romo if he is shopped -- which many believe he will be. Teams generating the most chatter in GM circles are the Cardinals and Broncos. Romo would not want to go to a rebuilding team at this stage of his career and Jones, who has a strong affinity for him, wouldn't send him somewhere like Cleveland or Jacksonville against his wishes.

"I think they could get at least a second-round pick for him," one NFL decision-maker said, "or a third that moves up to a second based on playing time. Without a doubt. Minnesota gave up a first and a four to rent [Sam] Bradford for a few years. Even with the recent injuries, Dallas will get value for Romo."

The veteran quarterback crafted his statement this week on his own, sources said, without the aid of team or personal PR people, with Romo taking his time writing about his complicated feelings about the way this season has transpired before addressing the media.

Romo will be active Sunday for the first time this season.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I wish he'd decide he doesn't want to leave Dallas where his new home and family reside and decides to restructure his contract and accept 5Mill per year + incentives as Daks backup and QB coach. If he did that, then jeri could be right about him playing another 5 years.

I think the odds are against this happening and but I'd put the chances at much greater than zero

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I wish he'd decide he doesn't want to leave Dallas where his new home and family reside and decides to restructure his contract and accept 5Mill per year + incentives as Daks backup and QB coach. If he did that, then jeri could be right about him playing another 5 years.

I think the odds are against this happening and but I'd put the chances at much greater than zero

I would love to have the extra pick/picks but Romo would be the ideal backup for this team. I think the chances are greater that he retires than he takes a $15 mil paycut to stay and be Dak's backup.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Know what I find really sad? During the telecast they pointed out that Mark Sanchez was sitting next to Dak after that concern over his shoulder, when Kellen Moore was also right there.

This was supposed to be Moore's year to show what he could do, then breaks his ankle, Dak takes his spot and the rest is history.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I really, seriously doubt there will be a market for Romo. He is stove up. He can't run, can't throw deep, he has no value anymore. Harsh to say, but reality usually is harsh.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Know what I find really sad? During the telecast they pointed out that Mark Sanchez was sitting next to Dak after that concern over his shoulder, when Kellen Moore was also right there.

This was supposed to be Moore's year to show what he could do, then breaks his ankle, Dak takes his spot and the rest is history.

Like I mentioned the other day, thank God that rookie free agent scrub ruined Moore's ankle in training camp

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I really, seriously doubt there will be a market for Romo. He is stove up. He can't run, can't throw deep, he has no value anymore. Harsh to say, but reality usually is harsh.

I guess we'll see.

Would be nice if we had division and homefield advantage wrapped up going into week 17 at Philly, and hold Prescott out in lieu of Romo. That does 3 things:

1) Most important, ensures nothing happens to Prescott
2) Cowboys get Romo some meaningful snaps in a real game prior to playoffs, just in case
3) Other teams get some film on Romo and see how he throws and how he reacts to being hit. Could be huge for trade value.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Not me, I want the picks

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not me, I want the picks

I'm inclined to agree but it depends on the pick(s) don't you think?

whats the breaking point for you (meaning what pick and how many before you opt to keep Romo under the assumption he would take a pay cut and accept the back up role)?

I'm thinking at least a 2nd but there's a lot of moving parts. They cant pay his full salary for next year as a back up so if he wants to leave, they'll obviously have to trade and accept whatever they can get.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I guess we'll see.

Would be nice if we had division and homefield advantage wrapped up going into week 17 at Philly, and hold Prescott out in lieu of Romo. That does 3 things:

1) Most important, ensures nothing happens to Prescott
2) Cowboys get Romo some meaningful snaps in a real game prior to playoffs, just in case
3) Other teams get some film on Romo and see how he throws and how he reacts to being hit. Could be huge for trade value.
Then again, he could get hit and broken again, for sure ruining any trade value that might have been there otherwise?

Reaction score

Sad? Moore really shouldn't even be playing in the NFL. When Stephen Jones says that Moore really doesn't have the arm or the size you want but really knows the offense, that's not a good starting point for hope when your starter falls. The only two justifications for Moore on the team are Moore knowing the offense and his losing game against the unmotivated Redskin 3rd string secondary where he threw 3 TDs and two interceptions and...still could not win. What is the upside for Spanky? That he knows Jason's system? Well so do I but I know my limits. Frankly, that system has done more damage than it has success and when that system is reduced by a strong running game, the team does better and the QBs are less likely to get hurt. Moore is a putz.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Romo had 10 years of his prime robbed by clown ass front office management. He is still a top 10 qb in this league and I hope he goes to Denver and wins 1-2 titles.

Dallas has likely the dumbest fanbase in the entire league (scroll this thread for proof) and so it makes sense that nobody really understood how great tony was for this team.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Romo had 10 years of his prime robbed by clown ass front office management. He is still a top 10 qb in this league and I hope he goes to Denver and wins 1-2 titles.

Dallas has likely the dumbest fanbase in the entire league (scroll this thread for proof) and so it makes sense that nobody really understood how great tony was for this team.

Time to give up your Romo blowup doll Wahoo. I know it hurts, but its time.

Top Bottom