dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't catch it all, but apparently he had a prepared statement he read from and did not take questions. Didn't seemed like anything else was said other than basically "Dak is the starting QB now, he earned it"

Did anyone catch the entire thing? He seemed almost despondent at the very end of it.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
it just ends the "when will Tony get his job back?" speculation

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I missed it, too. Ticket is talking about it right now and will replay it at 5:30 (CT) and comment on it piece by piece.

They were saying the whole time they expected him to say, "I'm retiring" at the end of it, but he didn't.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I just watched the whole thing, that was really odd. It almost seemed like it was a pseudo retirement speech.

Looked like it was really emotional for him. It had been announced that he'd be the backup this week but honestly after watching this, it sorta sounded almost like he was just going away or something.

Will be an interesting week for sure.

Reaction score
Everyone twittering how he's a classy guy and appreciates how he isn't going to be a distraction, perfect team guy etc.

I just read parts of the speech. I think he's taking the right approach. The writing is on the wall and outside of Theebs, I don't think there are any Cowboys fans out there who want to bench Dak and put Romo back in.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hearing parts of it now, I think he'll be playing for another team next year. He said if anything this might have made his competitive drive even stronger. Hope he wins big wherever he goes and makes Jerry and Garrett look like even bigger fools than they are.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Kind of a shame for his run here to end like this. He's not some broken down, gun-for-hire that Bledsoe was when he replaced him.

Reaction score
I think it's more about being healthy but not being the first option. I think that if Tony himself does not tell everyone that he is backing Dak and is not the starter then all the fans and media will erupt with constant debate over Tony's availability to lead the team. Could not come from Garrett or Jones or Chase or Antonio Sr, it could only be squashed by Romo himself.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Tony has carried this team for years and even carried the head coach. I bet he sticks around in some capacity with the team even when he's done playing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hearing parts of it now, I think he'll be playing for another team next year. He said if anything this might have made his competitive drive even stronger. Hope he wins big wherever he goes and makes Jerry and Garrett look like even bigger fools than they are.

I don't wish anything bad on the guy, but only a fool would bet on something like that at this stage of his career.

Is going elsewhere going to make him suddenly immune to back injuries or something?

Honestly what would be poetic justice somehow is if we trade him to some ultra desperate team, he stays healthy and the new team goes 8-8

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think it's more about being healthy but not being the first option. I think that if Tony himself does not tell everyone that he is backing Dak and is not the starter then all the fans and media will erupt with constant debate over Tony's availability to lead the team. Could not come from Garrett or Jones or Chase or Antonio Sr, it could only be squashed by Romo himself.

I don't see how this squashed anything if he is the #2 QB on gamedays.

As soon as Prescott makes a few bad throws or has a bad game, everyone is still going to clamor for Romo.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't wish anything bad on the guy, but only a fool would bet on something like that at this stage of his career.
Bet on what, that he plays somewhere else?

Honestly what would be poetic justice somehow is if we trade him to some ultra desperate team, he stays healthy and the new team goes 8-8
Right, because he was the cause of those 8-8 years. If you didn't already know that, last year should have proven it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Bet on what, that he plays somewhere else?

The going elsewhere and winning big part. I guess I should have asked what you meant by the Jones/Garrett fools thing. Everyone with half a brain already knows that, but are you suggesting somehow they are doing this wrong by sticking with Prescott? if so, that seems pretty silly at this point IMO.

Right, because he was the cause of those 8-8 years. If you didn't already know that, last year should have proven it.

He wasn't the sole cause, but he was a part of it.

Maybe winning means more to him now that it used to (which is great) but I don't think he thought it was all that important in 2007-2008-2009 when he did some of the things he did (and how he did them) and made some of the comments he made.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The going elsewhere and winning big part. I guess I should have asked what you meant by the Jones/Garrett fools thing. Everyone with half a brain already knows that, but are you suggesting somehow they are doing this wrong by sticking with Prescott? if so, that seems pretty silly at this point IMO.

No, not now. I'm talking about all those years, especially the 8-8 ones. They wasted his career.

He wasn't the sole cause, but he was a part of it.
Meh. I guess Jason Witten was, too.

Top Bottom