dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
How come when I try and post something saved on my computer it wont show the pic? Instead it shows it as "attachment" and you have to click on it to see it.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
How come when I try and post something saved on my computer it wont show the pic? Instead it shows it as "attachment" and you have to click on it to see it.

Because the only way you can embed a pic is to do it from a URL. Just upload your image to Imgur.com and then add it from that URL. Make sure you uncheck "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Because the only way you can embed a pic is to do it from a URL. Just upload your image to Imgur.com and then add it from that URL. Make sure you uncheck "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".

no, you can upload directly from your computer.

1) click "insert image" icon
2) from computer
3) browse
4) upload file

Iamtdg

Reaction score
no, you can upload directly from your computer. just remember to uncheck that "retrieve remote file" box you mentioned.

Hmm, it let me post a pic. Not sure why I deleted it. Was going to try it again, but it posted. But, there was no "retrieve remote file" checkbox under the "from computer" tab.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
no, you can upload directly from your computer.

1) click "insert image" icon
2) from computer
3) browse
4) upload file

That's how I did it but it just posted something that said "attachment 1234" and it was a link. The pic itself wasn't visible unless I clicked on the link.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
That's how I did it but it just posted something that said "attachment 1234" and it was a link. The pic itself wasn't visible unless I clicked on the link.

even when you hit post or preview? also, are you sure it was a jpeg and not a gif? gifs have to be hosted somewhere first.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That happens sometimes because of browser caching. If you upload a image as a attachment it should display inline, right where you posted it. For the record, I see all of your attachments as images and pretty sure everyone else does as well.

When this happens to you again, please report the post in question.
This is one of the two options. The default option is upload from your computer, and that becomes a attachment in the file system so I am not calling up images from the database. When you host remotely, that's not on my server, that's third party, and therefore in control of that third party as far as hotlinking and display, etc. It's not as reliable.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
even when you hit post or preview? also, are you sure it was a jpeg and not a gif? gifs have to be hosted somewhere first.

Yeah I could see it under preview but it didn't "post" that way

Iamtdg

Reaction score
This is one of the two options. The default option is upload from your computer, and that becomes a attachment in the file system so I am not calling up images from the database. When you host remotely, that's not on my server, that's third party, and therefore in control of that third party as far as hotlinking and display, etc. It's not as reliable.

I have posted tens of thousands of pics this way and never had an issue. It's way more reliable than uploading from your computer, IMO.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
It's fine until the 3rd party site you use either goes down, disallows hotlinking or deletes your uploads.

That's why I always host with imgur. No worries about any of those things happening.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That's why I always host with imgur. No worries about any of those things happening.
Actually upon re-reading your first post on the topic, you're right 100 percent about reliability and the 3rd party doesn't matter at all, because you're choosing the "reference locally" option. Means the system goes to the link you specify and downloads the image you want from there, and uploads it to our database.

Mea Culpa.

Top Bottom