dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
All you sourced up guys need to post your tips here, and if you don't have any sources just make something up. It works at CZ.

Here's a couple blurbs on Dolphins DE Cameron Wake, who it seems is a name that some have attached to us. I don't know how motivated the Fish are going to be to deal him now though. They've won 2 in a row to get to 3-4 and the rest of their schedule is not overly difficult, they might believe their a wildcard contender. Wake has 3 sacks on the season in addition to the pressure info below.

8. Cameron Wake, DE, Dolphins

2016 PFF pass-rush grade: 84.3

Cameron Wake’s career looks destined to be bookended with roles as a situational player only—a role that he probably didn’t deserve at either end. Returning from injury this season, Wake found himself relegated to a situational rusher by the Dolphins, but he is still clearly their best pass-rusher, notching 26 total pressures in only 195 snaps. Wake has at least a pressure in every game this season—even the two in which he combined for just 31 snaps—and in the two games in which he has seen more of a starter’s role, he has nine combined pressures. The veteran still has plenty in the tank.

Dallas Cowboys
Trade for: Cameron Wake (Dolphins)

The Cowboys' pass-rushing issues are well-known, and they've been there for a while now. Getting DeMarcus Lawrence back, as they did two weeks ago, should help a bit, but they're still working at a deficit. Wake is getting up there in years, but he still has it. On only 137 snaps for the Dolphins this year, Wake has 20 pressures, making him one of the most productive pass-rushers on a per-snap basis. If the Dolphins aren't going to use him on an every-snap basis, maybe the Cowboys will.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is from Gil Brandt. The turnover info he has is wrong by the way, we're +4 in differential and have forced 9 turnovers. (still not enough, but not as bad as he noted)

Willie Young has 6 sacks on the season including 3 vs Indy and 2 vs Jax in recent weeks. He's also younger than Wake and isn't coming off a major injury.

4) Dallas Cowboys

The 5-1 Cowboys are currently in the driver's seat in the NFC East, but if they want to hold off the likes of the Eagles and Giants, they'd do well to increase their sack differential (currently plus-two) and ratchet up the takeaways (five, tied for 27th in the NFL). Dallas' schedule will be tough going forward, and it would help a great deal to have someone capable of collecting 10 sacks on the field. The wild success of rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott makes veteran holdover Darren McFadden -- who has been on the shelf since having offseason elbow surgery -- somewhat expendable and potentially available in a trade, though I'm not sure what kind of interest he'd attract.

Potential target: Willie Young, OLB, Chicago Bears.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Before the season started the Cowboys suffered several injuries to key players that were thought to have derailed Dallas' season before it even began. Since then a 5-1 start coupled with the play of Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott have at least minimized the losses of Tony Romo, Kellen Moore and Darren McFadden.

Could Dallas trade away some returning talent to help out areas of need? Or could they make separate trades altogether?

Below are some trade scenarios that national writers think should or might happen. Be sure to scroll to the bottom to vote on which trade you'd most like to see happen.

A surplus of RBs

Cowboys give up: Darren McFadden

Cowboys get: A 2017 conditional sixth-round pick from the Detroit Lions

CBS Sports' Joel Corry said that the Cowboys' surplus at running back could net them an additional pick in this year's draft.

"McFadden is a luxury for the Cowboys because Ezekiel Elliott , the No. 4 overall pick in the last draft, is leading the NFL in rushing," Corry said. "Alfred Morris has done a nice job relieving Elliott."

Note: CBS Sports' Jared Dubin also said the Cowboys can trade McFadden to either the Lions or the Green Bay Packers.

Cowboys give up: McFadden

Cowboys get: A fourth- or fifth-round pick from the Lions

From FOX Sports' Cameron DaSilva:

"The Lions could probably land McFadden for a fourth- or fifth-round pick, which isn't exactly the costliest price. It's a move that could elevate the offense and balance it out a bit, taking pressure off of Matthew Stafford."

Beef up the pass rush

Cowboys give up: A 2017 sixth-round pick from the Miami Dolphins

Cowboys get: Defensive end Mario Williams

Williams has played in seven games this year with the Dolphins and has racked up 10 tackles and a sack. The 31-year old is currently in his 11th season in the league and is in the first year of a two-year, $17 million deal with Miami.

"The Miami Dolphins have cornered the market on older passer rushers with Mario Williams and Cameron Wake," Corry said. "Wake is coming off an Achilles tear that cost him the final nine games last season. He is beginning to cut into Williams' playing time after starting the season as a situational pass rusher.

"Dallas looks like a team that could have a deep playoff run. Putting pressure on opposing quarterbacks is still an issue despite ranking 10th in total defense and eighth in scoring defense."

Cowboys give up: N/A

Cowboys get: Defensive end Cameron Wake from the Dolphins

Dubin went the opposite direction as his co-worker when picking a Dolphins defensive end to join the Cowboys. Here's why he chose Wake:

"Wake is getting up there in years, but he still has it," Dubin said. "On only 137 snaps for the Dolphins this year, Wake has 20 pressures, making him one of the most productive pass-rushers on a per-snap basis. If the Dolphins aren't going to use him on an every-snap basis, maybe the Cowboys will."

Wake just signed a one-year, $10 million extension with Miami that starts at the beginning of the 2017 season. His cap hit for the 2017 season is $7 million and then $7.875 million in 2018. He's also 34 years old.

Cowboys give up: A fifth-round pick

Cowboys get: Wake

From FOX Sports' Cameron DaSilva:

"For that price, the Cowboys could take their defense from being solid to downright formidable. The coverage has been great, but the pass rush could stand to be improved dramatically. Just last season, Wake had seven sacks in seven games before getting injured, including four in one game."

Say goodbye to Tony Romo

Cowboys give up: Tony Romo to the Denver Broncos

Cowboys get: N/A

CBS Sports' Jared Dubin didn't say what Dallas would get in return, but did say that Denver could use the veteran quarterback.

"Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't make all that much sense for the Cowboys to deal Romo," Dubin said. "Doing so accelerates too much money onto their cap for a player that won't be on the team, and anyway, having two good quarterbacks is not actually that big of a problem. But if they got enough in the deal, maybe they would be motivated to do it...

"The one thing this Broncos team is missing right now is a dynamic quarterback to take its offense to the next level. Romo could conceivably push them back over the top."

Cowboys give up: Tony Romo

Cowboys get: A third-round pick from the Broncos and defensive end Shane Ray

From FOX Sports' Cameron DaSilva, who listed this as a possible blockbuster that is "highly unlikely" to happen:

"In exchange, the Cowboys would get a much-needed pass rusher in Shane Ray and a second-rounder (maybe) to help build on their young core of players. Ray would probably become Dallas' best pass rusher right away and would make a nice pairing with Demarcus Lawrence at defensive end. Contractual issues and the unlikelihood of Dallas trading Romo make this a pipe dream, but who says no to it in a parallel universe where money is no object?"

Getting defensive

Cowboys give up: N/A

Cowboys get: Outside linebacker Willie Young

From NFL.com's Gil Brandt:

"The 5-1 Cowboys are currently in the driver's seat in the NFC East, but if they want to hold off the likes of the Eagles and Giants, they'd do well to increase their sack differential (currently plus-two) and ratchet up the takeaways (five, tied for 27th in the NFL). Dallas' schedule will be tough going forward, and it would help a great deal to have someone capable of collecting 10 sacks on the field."

Willie Young's cap hit in 2017 will be $4.1 million and it'll jump up to $5.4 million for the 2018 season.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
we get wake for a 5th round pick???? i think this guy is more stoned than i am right now.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Those trades look like they were dreamed up at BTB. Wake for a 5th? Shane Ray + a third for Romo? Come on.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Atlanta Falcons: Buy Cameron Wake
Wesseling: The Falcons boast the league's most potent offense, ranking first in points per game (32.7) and yards per play (6.8). The defense, on the other hand, has allowed 26 or more points in six of seven games while surrendering a passer rating of 96.9 to opposing quarterbacks. The pass rush has shown signs of life with 11 sacks in the past three games, but much of that came courtesy of an injury-ravaged Broncos offensive line in Week 5. Dan Quinn's defense could use a stretch-run boost from an impact edge rusher such as the 34-year-old Wake, who is coming off of his best performance of the season in a win over Buffalo.

Potential cost: Fourth-round draft pick.

Dallas Cowboys: Buy Sen'Derrick Marks
Wesseling: The Cowboys' steamrolling, ball-control offense gets an extra boost this week with the return of Pro Bowl wide receiver Dez Bryant. If they want to hold off the competition in a strong NFC East field, though, they will have to upgrade a defense that ranks 23rd in both yards per play (5.9) and opposing passer rating (95.0). The return of Demarcus Lawrence should help a struggling pass rush, but the Cowboys still need a veteran to rotate with rookie Maliek Collins at defensive tackle. Marks is just two years removed from an 8.5-sack season on the interior of Jacksonville's line.

Potential cost: Fifth-round draft pick.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I would gladly take Mario Williams or Cameron Wake.

I think it sends a message to the team and to the league that team is ready to contend right now.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But there's NO way we're dumb enough to trade Romo anytime soon. Not unless it's some silly ridiculous deal involving a need veteran and a 1st round pick for him.

I have a feeling we are gonna NEED Romo this season when Dak gets a ding. Would be dumb to trade him during this season.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'd trade McFadden for a 5th for sure. Probably less. Who knows how badly his elbow is messed up.

One team I could see being interested in Morris in particular is Denver. They lost Anderson and now only your boy Booker (who has looked good) is available. I bet they'd love a proven zone RB like Morris. Elway is probably too smart to give up much, though.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If the Giants offered a 5th for McFadden or Morris, you make that trade?

Probably not, only because its helping a division rival and could ultimately have a direct impact on our playoff chances. I'd be focused on trading him outside the division.

Reaction score
I'm wondering if we should try to trade La'el Collins. Leary is balling, but I wonder if we could extend him for less than Collins is likely to want. Collins is probably going to want a monster deal. With his injury, we may not be able to do it now, but we're not going to be able to keep all these blue chip OL guys. You could probably get a pretty good haul for Collins.

Reaction score
I would gladly take Mario Williams or Cameron Wake.

I think it sends a message to the team and to the league that team is ready to contend right now.

The only thing about Mario is, Dallas needs speed on the sides. As great as Mario is, he would be an upgrade and not a solution. Wake would or that Derrick Morgan guy from the Titans.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm wondering if we should try to trade La'el Collins. Leary is balling, but I wonder if we could extend him for less than Collins is likely to want. Collins is probably going to want a monster deal. With his injury, we may not be able to do it now, but we're not going to be able to keep all these blue chip OL guys. You could probably get a pretty good haul for Collins.

I don't think you can trade injured players.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

I could have sworn Collins had a no trade clause in his contract but cant find anything to support that assertion

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The only thing about Mario is, Dallas needs speed on the sides. As great as Mario is, he would be an upgrade and not a solution. Wake would or that Derrick Morgan guy from the Titans.

The AFC South is wide open so I don't see Tennessee dumping anyone. The Dolphins should be willing to ship one of their DE's for a pick or two.

I think Williams would help us. If Marinelli can do stuff with JAGs like Jack Crawford and Ryan Davis, what can he get out of Williams? I think Wake would have a huge impact for us and on the playoff hunt.

Top Bottom