theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Sounds like a possible cheap Dez replacement:

Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU

The 6’4", 215-pound Sutton was a key cog in SMU’s upset win over the Houston Cougars on Saturday. He hauled in seven of his 10 targets for 83 yards and a brilliant touchdown grab. Sutton is a master of high pointing the football, making him a dominant red zone threat. He’s had little help from the quarterback position, suggesting his best football might be ahead of him in the NFL

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Stock Down:

Dawuane Smoot, EDGE, Illinois

Michigan kept Smoot in check, gashing his Illinois defense for 270 rushing yards and nearly 600 total yards of offense. While Smoot is an impressive edge-rusher, he struggles against the run.

The senior has potential be a high-end situational edge-rusher at the next level, but his inability to be a consistent three-down end might push him to Day 2 of the draft.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Potential draftees and their pro comparisons:

Ryan Switzer, WR, UNC: Jamison Crowder, Washington Redskins

Crowder has been a breakout target for quarterback Kirk Cousins and the Redskins. Switzer's game is similar, as both wideouts know how to win over the middle of the field. Neither is a threat to get over the top of a defense, but they are both superb at 'paper cut'-style attacks. Not only do they have similar builds and tendencies at wide receiver, but they also feature great special teams ability.

Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama: Michael Bennett, Seattle Seahawks

Allen, a frequent sight on the draft radar due to his weekly dominance, is a complete defensive lineman—similar to Bennett. Both are disruptive as interior pass-rushers, and both have the versatility to attack from different alignments up front.

Tim Williams, EDGE, Alabama: Bruce Irvin, Oakland Raiders

Both are dynamite pass-rushers off the edge, but Williams will face the same questions Irvin did about becoming a three-down defender.

Jamaal Williams, RB, BYU: Matt Forte, New York Jets

Forte has lost a step, but Williams' ability to drive his legs is similar to what Forte showed in his prime. They are both taller running backs at 6'2", and Williams runs with power, superb vision and quick feet—like a younger Forte.

Reaction score
Fred Ross, WR, Mississippi State ... He'd be an inspired choice to takeover TWill's spot.

Part of Dak's success with the Cowboys has been attributed to similarities between the Mississippi State offense and Linehan's offense. So why not take a receiver who has the same thing going for him? Ross isn't a speed receiver, but he'd be a very quick study. He and Dak had some chemistry at MSU too.

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
2017 Draft

What should be our plan of attack early in the draft. Do we focus on DLines or DBs.

I say we should use at least on pic on a Olineman. Probably a 3rd rounder.

Hopefully the future Romo trade nets us a 1st or Early 2nd Rounder. I like Myles Garret but to move up would be too costly.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
What should be our plan of attack early in the draft. Do we focus on DLines or DBs.

I say we should use at least on pic on a Olineman. Probably a 3rd rounder.

Hopefully the future Romo trade nets us a 1st or Early 2nd Rounder. I like Myles Garret but to move up would be too costly.
Our plan of attack at the draft should be as follows;

Lock Jerry in a closet and let Steven and Will McClay (if he hasn't got a GM job elsewhere) get on with the job of selecting the best players available.

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Our plan of attack at the draft should be as follows;

Lock Jerry in a closet and let Steven and Will McClay (if he hasn't got a GM job elsewhere) get on with the job of selecting the best players available.

Haha. Hopefully we have learned our lesson regarding players with continuous mishaps with substance abuse. We have faired ok with college players that stock dropped due to injury issues. So I'm ok with doing this.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
After we trade Romo to Denver for their 1st rd pick, we'll have that pick (probably in the 20's) plus our own pick at 32.

Not bad.

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We have receive some LB with prior injury issues in college that have served us well. Lee, Bruce Carter, the other Linebacker from South Carolina whose career was cut short due to an injury to neck I believe.

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
After we trade Romo to Denver for their 1st rd pick, we'll have that pick (probably in the 20's) plus our own pick at 32.

Not bad.

That won't be a bad pickup. Who stands out defensively in the draft this year for us. I'm ok with us trading that possible first for additional an additional 2016 2nd rounds and 3rd rounder with a 2017 1st rounder.

Teams like New England and Seattle have made amazing deals doing this over the years.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

Not bad.

you deserve another one of these

eye-roll-gif.gif

much more likely that other teams wait for us to cut Romo as opposed to trading for him. if a trade comes to pass, expect a conditional 3rd at best.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
many teams are TOTALLY DESPERATE for a decent qb, Jets, Broncos, Browns to name a few.

More teams means potential bidding war among them, especially Denver who feels that they have the talent to make a Super Bowl soon. First round pick is not out of the question

Reaction score
I know we need a speed guy but wr #15 for Houston is a big bodied, strong receiver. Wouldn't mind him in our offense.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ohio State has a bunch of players I would love to see on the Cowboys defense next year....

Mailk Hooker. FS, 6-2/205 - As a redshirt sophomore, he is already the Buckeyes all-time leader in pick-six's.
7-2.jpg

Raekwon McMillan, MLB, 6-2/243 - A true middle linebacker, would fill a big hole on our defense.
6_3094177.jpg

Sam Hubbard, DE, 6-5/266 - Another redshirt sophomore, if he came out, he probably goes higher than we will be drafting.
hi-res-736f31ca4f4226629e90ee67cbebb594_crop_north.jpg

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I know we need a speed guy but wr #15 for Houston is a big bodied, strong receiver. Wouldn't mind him in our offense.

Besides Devin Street, I think the Cowboys are more than capable of finding a decent receiver in the latter rounds or possible undrafted free agent.

Now this may seem crazy but if I'm the Cowboys. But if Denver sends us their 1st round pick, I would select OJ Howard from Bama. He has all the tools to be amazing in our offense.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
you deserve another one of these

eye-roll-gif.gif

LOL

much more likely that other teams wait for us to cut Romo as opposed to trading for him. if a trade comes to pass, expect a conditional 3rd at best.

Still not convinced of that. If they could get into position where the Philly game doesn't mean anything, they can get Romo on the field (I'd probably start him and let him play well into the 2nd half) and assuming he throws the ball well and doesn't get himself hurt again, his value could go up for a QB desperate team. No way in hell was Bradford worth what the Vikes paid, but there's an example of what "desperate" does to someone.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Ohio State has a bunch of players I would love to see on the Cowboys defense next year....

Mailk Hooker. FS, 6-2/205 - As a redshirt sophomore, he is already the Buckeyes all-time leader in pick-six's.
7-2.jpg

Raekwon McMillan, MLB, 6-2/243 - A true middle linebacker, would fill a big hole on our defense.
6_3094177.jpg

Sam Hubbard, DE, 6-5/266 - Another redshirt sophomore, if he came out, he probably goes higher than we will be drafting.
hi-res-736f31ca4f4226629e90ee67cbebb594_crop_north.jpg

I'm absolutely loving this season, but its hard not to at least somewhat think about what next year might be like after we have a draft where we can stockpile defensive talent and potentially add Jaylon Smith (and maybe Charles Tapper if he is not done) to what we have now offensively. And I do think we'll get an extra pick/s for Romo, so there's a golden opportunity here to build a real contender for the next 5-7 years or so.

Top Bottom