dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Would love to have him, but unless the Browns are just wanting to give the Cowboys the greatest draft discount ever it aint happening.

#1 pick worth 3000 pts, #28 pick worth 660 pts. All our picks in this years draft don't even amount to half what that #1 pick is worth.

We'd be having to trade away multiple future HIGH picks and probably some other stuff to get anything even remotely close.

Reaction score
Would JuJu smith not being anything special really be surprising?

Who was the last USC receiver taken that was a star? Keyshawn?

Yeah, exactly. There is this larger than life hype to some of the USC WRs like they are men among boys but they rarely become anything remotely close to dominating at the NFL level. Just kind of pedestrian - they are the stuff of Jeff Fishers 7-9 warning.

Reaction score
What do you all think of WR Chris Godwin? He doesn't seem fast but he doesn't seem to make mistakes with the ball in the air. Aggressive hands in converge. Seems like Anquan Boldin with a little more speed.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What do you all think of WR Chris Godwin? He doesn't seem fast but he doesn't seem to make mistakes with the ball in the air. Aggressive hands in converge. Seems like Anquan Boldin with a little more speed.

I like him, very productive. Combine will be big for him. Probably difference between 3rd round and 6th.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
To me this is the most intriguing player in the draft:

When Adam Shaheen declared early for the 2017 NFL draft, I immediately had to do research on him. An underclassman tight end from Ashland declaring? Didn't see that one coming.

What I found is that Shaheen is a physical nightmare for defenders to cover. At 6'6" and 277 pounds, he's easily able to box out defenders on seam routes and can be a headache in the red zone because of his size and length. He's also a better mover than expected for his size and plays like the former high school basketball star that he is.

Shaheen is a work in progress, but his raw tools are exciting. He may need to lean out a little to gain pro-caliber flexibility and quickness, but there is no doubt he's an exciting prospect as a mid-round developmental player

NFL Draft 2017: All-Sleeper Team by Position | Bleacher Report

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
He was awesome in the Rose Bowl against USC.

Reaction score
NFL rescinds Chad Kelly's Combine invitation

If Chad Kelly is going to convince teams his off-the-field issues are behind him, he'll have to do it somewhere other than the NFL Scouting Combine, Jay Skurski of the Buffalo News reports.

The league released its list of combine participants Wednesday, and Kelly is not one of the 15 quarterbacks scheduled to attend. In a peculiar circumstance, The Buffalo News has learned that Kelly at one time was invited, but that invitation was later rescinded by the NFL. Kelly's representatives, Duray Oubre and Vance McAllister of JPS Sports Management, appeared on Buffalo News sports reporter Tim Graham's radio show Wednesday night and confirmed that Kelly received an invitation Jan. 6, with the league going so far as booking his flight to Indianapolis.

Last Thursday, however, Kelly was informed that his invitation had been taken back by the NFL. The question now is simply, why?

"We have had no answer, no clarification," McAllister said, explaining that Troy Vincent, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations, has left them voicemails saying he will not discuss the details of the decision. "So with that being said, what we want to know is what has Chad done? He was obviously good enough for an invite. He was obviously good enough up to the point of two weeks ago, booking his flight and getting an assigned number for the combine, being ready to participate."

A St. Joe's graduate who finished his college career at Ole Miss, Kelly is recovering from surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee that was performed Nov. 14. He might not have been able to take part in on-field drills when the combine is held in a couple weeks.

Reaction score
Meh. Physical tools are there but he's a chucklehead and prone for dumbass throws. Also the knee injury. I doubt he pans out in the league at all.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Riser to watch: Every year we see small-school players emerge during the evaluation process. One name to remember in this class: Ashland TE Adam Shaheen. I've heard his name come up often while talking to different personnel executives and scouts over the last couple months. After finally studying his film, I see what the buzz is all about. He's listed at 6-foot-6, 277 pounds and he is a tremendous athlete. He shows burst, natural ball skills and toughness. Most teams have him slotted in the third-round area. I wouldn't be shocked if he went one round higher. I can't wait to see him next month at the NFL Scouting Combine (March 3-6 on NFL Network) in Indianapolis. -- Daniel Jeremia

Reaction score
I saw the same things about Shaheen. He is quite an athlete and can catch. Not really a blocker yet though. My issue is still: what is the point with the TE position. Is it just keep drafting players who magically become Witten or Gronk without actually developing an offense and plays for them? Truthfully, if we had Hunter Henry from last draft he would have been blocking or sitting and we would be looking at TEs again in this draft. Escobar was underused despite being someone far more necessary than TWilly in red zone. Hanna blocks. Swaim gets pulled out of a draft rectum for no reason than to waste a future draft pick. Gathers could be a more powerful Escobar except that this team waits for the TE to become valuable and worthwhile rather than developing them.

It's a wide receiver offense. Unless best friends with the QB, the TE is misunderstood as an OL or a catching fullback.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I saw the same things about Shaheen. He is quite an athlete and can catch. Not really a blocker yet though. My issue is still: what is the point with the TE position. Is it just keep drafting players who magically become Witten or Gronk without actually developing an offense and plays for them? Truthfully, if we had Hunter Henry from last draft he would have been blocking or sitting and we would be looking at TEs again in this draft. Escobar was underused despite being someone far more necessary than TWilly in red zone. Hanna blocks. Swaim gets pulled out of a draft rectum for no reason than to waste a future draft pick. Gathers could be a more powerful Escobar except that this team waits for the TE to become valuable and worthwhile rather than developing them.

It's a wide receiver offense. Unless best friends with the QB, the TE is misunderstood as an OL or a catching fullback.

Not disagreeing with anything you said but I still think they draft a TE again this year. Escobar is gone. Hanna on the verge of or had microfracture. Swaim is probably a number two JAG type. We have no idea what Gathers is, and this is probably Witten's last year. If they draft Jake Butt in the 3rd or preferably later, I'll be fine with it. However I am intrigued by Shaheen.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, McKinley may slide some in draft now. Was almost assuredly a lock for being drafted in 20's I think. Now might go somewhere in 2nd rd.

Reaction score
Yeah, McKinley may slide some in draft now. Was almost assuredly a lock for being drafted in 20's I think. Now might go somewhere in 2nd rd.

So, wait a second, you're saying there is an injury-concern, former top pick available in the second round? Now where have I heard of this happening before?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Final draft pick numbers, after comp picks were announced:

First round -- No. 28 overall

Second round -- No. 60 overall

Third round -- No. 92 overall

Fourth round -- No. 133 overall

Sixth round -- No. 211 overall

Seventh round -- No. 228 overall

Seventh round -- No. 246 overall

Top Bottom