dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This was from the MMQB site:

1. Texas A&M DE Myles Garrett (at Alabama, CBS, 3:30 p.m. ET): Garrett’s four sacks don’t illustrate the freak show he is, or the scary potential he has as a pro. If a quarterback doesn’t go first overall next April, Garrett is the overwhelming favorite to be taken atop the draft. He’s a pass-rusher with few holes in his game. Three comparisons I heard this week: A) Von Miller; B) a more explosive, athletic Joey Bosa; and C) a version of Jevon Kearse that’s 25 pounds heavier. Suffice it to say, expectations couldn’t be much further out of control. “Generational player,” is how one area scout described him. “Nothing he can’t do. Scheme wrecker. Complete player.” This week, Garrett gets perhaps his toughest test of the season, facing fellow Top 10 prospect Cam Robinson and the imposing Alabama line. I figured it might be a chance to see some of Garrett’s weaknesses, but those who’ve studied him swear there aren’t many. “You could nitpick stuff from snap to snap but it’s minor nonsense that people will say just to say something,” said the area scout. “He’s quick, explosive, plays long, strong, flexible, can change directions. He may take a play off from time to time but he's usually battling 2-3 blockers so it’s gonna happen. I'm more interested to see how Cam does against him, not vice versa.” Should be a fun matchup to watch, and one decision-makers will see tape of again in March and April.

2. Southern Methodist WR Courtland Sutton (vs. Houston, ESPN2, 7 p.m.): Want a guy from a mid-major program everyone will know a lot more about in a few months, when draft hype kicks into high gear? This guy is one. Sutton is 6-foot-4 and 215 pounds, a physical specimen with the capacity to become a bona fide No. 1 at the NFL level. Through six games for the struggling Mustangs, Sutton has 30 catches for 590 yards and four touchdowns. “He’s a big, explosive receiver with a great catch radius,” said one AFC personnel exec. “He’s been flying under the radar because the quarterback is bad, but we all know about him.” His backstory is interesting too. Sutton got hurt and medically redshirted his freshman year, then came back and played both football and basketball as a redshirt freshman during the 2015-16 school. So as you’d expect, he’s still a little raw, needs to improve his route-running, and may be seen as a bit of a project by some. Still, his physical ability should give him a solid shot at landing in the first round.

Reaction score
Interesting players, of course.

The bust/underwhelming potential of high picks in general makes me wonder if trading a boatload of picks for a top 7 or so pick makes sense for a non-QB.

Maybe a team is better off taking a few mid 1st round to mid 2nd round choices at the same position instead of putting all eggs in one basket - especially at DE.

Mario Williams and J. Clowney .... were they worth where they were taken? Each was probably described as a generational talent.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Interesting players, of course.

The bust/underwhelming potential of high picks in general makes me wonder if trading a boatload of picks for a top 7 or so pick makes sense for a non-QB.

Maybe a team is better off taking a few mid 1st round to mid 2nd round choices at the same position instead of putting all eggs in one basket - especially at DE.

Mario Williams and J. Clowney .... were they worth where they were taken? Each was probably described as a generational talent.

Myles Garrett looks like the real deal. He is exactly what this team needs. He is Dallas native and it would take a Ricky Williams type deal to get him but you know it will cross Jerry's mind.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
To me, Myles Garrett is that Julius Peppers/Mario Williams type freak athlete. No one that big, should be that fast and athletic.

As for Courtland Sutton, I've seen him mocked to us quite a few times. Need to sit down and watch an SMU game.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Watson at #3? He strikes me as a skinny, run first QB.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Ledyard said the two weakest positions in 2017 draft are QB and OL. Based on what I have seen Kizer is a big bust risk and Watson is not far behind him.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Marcus Spears; now some kind of analyst, is saying that the Dallas scouts are all over Alabama DT Jonathan Allen SIC.

Say he's a Suh clone.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Marcus Spears; now some kind of analyst, is saying that the Dallas scouts are all over Alabama DT Jonathan Allen SIC.

Say he's a Suh clone.

Suh is the only guy I ever saw put Martin on skates. Martin won the war however. As for Allen, he is another player who will go way before they pick.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Say he's a Suh clone.

Will be too costly for us to trade from 32 to the top-5

But he is a helluva player.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Will be too costly for us to trade from 32

eye-roll-gif.gif

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Ledyard said the two weakest positions in 2017 draft are QB and OL. Based on what I have seen Kizer is a big bust risk and Watson is not far behind him.

If OL is weak in the upcoming draft that means Leary is gonna get a fat offer and wont be back. There are some atrocious OLs out there and teams desperately in need.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
2. Washington CB Sidney Jones (at Utah, Fox Sports 1, 3:30 p.m.): Last week I had a talk with an AFC executive about the most impressive compilations of college talent he’d seen in his travels thus far this fall. What he said was the best group—Urban Meyer’s NFL assembly line at Ohio State—came as no surprise. The second best was, though. Chris Peterson has quietly built a loaded roster in Seattle that has pro evaluators salivating, and so it’s no mistake that the reborn Huskies are 7-0. Early in the year, in this space, we put the spotlight on one of those players, receiver John Ross. Jones is another who’ll have a shot to go on the first night of April’s draft. He and safety Budda Baker anchor a secondary that ranks up there with Ohio State and Alabama in NFL-ready talent, and Jones brings a nastiness to one of the most important positions in any defense. “He oozes confidence,” said the AFC exec. “He’s a little small, but he’s got good instincts and ball skills. Competitive kid.” And in a game with big conference-title implications, it’ll be good for scouts to see Jones go toe-to-toe with Utes super-sized star receiver Tim Patrick.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I dont know about you but I would not be happy if this happened.

CURTIS SAMUEL, RB/WR
OHIO STATE
Christian McCaffrey works for the purpose of this pick, too. The purpose, in this case, being to add a highly talented, versatile chip to a Cowboys offense centered (for now?) around Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott. Samuel could be a more explosive Cole Beasley-like option in the passing game, and he would be electrifying as a curveball in the run game paired with his former Ohio State teammate.

JUSTIN EVANS, S
TEXAS A&M
Because of Devin McCourty and Patrick Chung, the Patriots are in a strong position at safety. That hasn’t stopped them from addressing the position at the draft, nor should it given how often they like to shift into three-safety looks. Justin Evans is cut from the Keanu Neal mold as a big-hitting safety with improving coverage skills.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/10/28/nf...zer-deshaun-watson?xid=socialflow_facebook_si

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that.

We already have Ezekiel Elliott and Cole Beasley so drafting Samuel seems foolish, especially with my guy Justin Evans still available.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that.

We already have Ezekiel Elliott and Cole Beasley so drafting Samuel seems foolish, especially with my guy Justin Evans still available.

Add the fact that this team is not good using gadget players. Its one thing when you get a Lucky Whitehead as a FA. Its another when you burn a first on one.

Top Bottom