Reaction score
It's the bye week. We're 5-1.

Dak has been exceptional.

Elliott has been as good as advertised.

Anthony Brown is right behind Dak as an out of nowhere suprising rookie, at a huge position of need.

Barry Church has actually played a key role in us winning games.

Morris Claiborn has been playing like a top 5 pick.

Jason Garrett hasn't Garretted this team with his idiotic decision making.

And the defense who many thought would be 2013 level bad is actually playing above their heads.

There's talk that we might be a top 5 team in the league.....

Are you on cloud nine? What are your biggest concerns the rest of the way? What are your expectations? Division title? Playoff win(s)?

Or does this some way, some how end poorly?

Is it all sunshine and butterflies are do you see red flags or areas of concern that have been getting masked for any number of reasons?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Or does this some way, some how end poorly?

like pavlov's dog, I've been conditioned to expect a nut punch at any moment

They sure are looking great now though and I'm trying to enjoy the ride.

I hate peaking early, so I expect some bumps in the road, hopefully they're minor and occur mid season because I'd really like to see a great December leading to some playoff game(s)

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
My biggest concern is Garrett screwing things up. If things continue to go well he can just stay out of the way and not mess it up. As long as we dont need the Head Coach to be a difference maker we should be fine. We lucked into Dak and Brown. And really we lucked into Zeke as well. Its only because of the pathetic job Garret did last year that allowed us to get Zeke. How often does a lousy coaching job net a guy like Zeke that can actually help a team overcome a coach? Garrett has to be the luckiest guy to ever coach in the NFL.

My next biggest concern is more long term and its Zeke. He looks to be a guy that could have a long career and be in the TD or Emmitt category when all is said and done. Garrett will run him into the ground and use him up by the time his rookie contract is up. But if Cowboys fans get a Super Bowl or two in the process it wont be a problem.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Fun year so far. Gonna enjoy a no stress bye week and hope for losses by Giants, Eagles and Redskins tomorrow

Reaction score
NMRJ nailed it.

Linehan and Marinelli are doing fine. They are inventing what they need to do during the games and manipulating the talent they have to outplay whatever the other team is bringing at any given moment.

All of that has been contrary to Garrett's coaching belief and tendencies...Dallas just doesn't need any part of Garrett in any part of the game.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
like pavlov's dog, I've been conditioned to expect a nut punch at any moment

They sure are looking great now though and I'm trying to enjoy the ride.

Same.
I can't help but think this will end poorly, but damn if I'm not going to enjoy it as long as it lasts.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Same.
I can't help but think this will end poorly, but damn if I'm not going to enjoy it as long as it lasts.

Sigh, thanks for saving me the keystrokes. I just dont expect in my lifetime to see Garrett carried of the field on champions shoulders, ala Landry from Tulane stadium.

Reaction score
I hate peaking early, so I expect some bumps in the road, hopefully they're minor and occur mid season because I'd really like to see a great December leading to some playoff game(s)

That is an excellent point about peaking too soon. I mean, a case can be made we're peaking now. I can't imagine this team playing better.

Barry Church has been a monstrous liability virtually his entire career - but that was him intercepting Kirk Cousins in the end zone late in the game where - had the Redskins gotten TD or even a FG, its highly unlikely we win. We've seen four years of Church's piss poor play, but he's out there picking off Aaron Rodgers and playing like a legit safety. That isn't going to sustain.

The Eagles came out looking like an elite team before their bye. Took a bye and look mediocre since.

I wonder if something similar will happen to us as well.

As for my biggest concern - of course its Garrett. I can't give him credit for any of this success because, like Church, we've seen years of his horrendous coaching. He is what he is. As the season wears on, odds are he makes his presence felt more and we start dropping games we should've won.

Another concern is how this team is going to handle the Romo/Dak situation, and how that'll go over in the locker room. If we stick with Dak, I don't anticipate an issue. But can you imagine if we pull the talented rookie, and Romo responds with a game like he had against Miami or Carolina last year?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yep, peaking too soon is probably the biggest obstacle. Every year teams start great and then peter out at the end of the year. You don't think about them after the year is over because you just remember the teams that did well in the playoffs, but it usually happens. Might be best for the team to level off for a while and then pick it back up, although it's impossible for a team to plan it that way. It just happens.

Then again, Dak seems immune to all these things. We'll see if that lasts, though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The starts by the rookies make you think this is already the best rookie class we've ever had here. But that's not a really high hurdle to clear given our draft history.

They're maybe playing the best football in the league.

But I still don't trust this defense once December-playoffs roll around. We're one Sean Lee injury away from scrambling at LB.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Is it all sunshine and butterflies are do you see red flags or areas of concern that have been getting masked for any number of reasons?

No. I see a red-headed clapping clueless and meddling-at-the-wrong time fuck.

Are you on cloud nine? What are your biggest concerns the rest of the way? What are your expectations? Division title? Playoff win(s)?

THIS:

Jason Garrett hasn't Garretted this team with his idiotic decision making.
It's not going to last.

Division title... I believe that the first team that gets to 8-9 wins will win the division. We're on track and things look favorable down the way. We could be at 9 wins come time we face the Redskins on T-Day, if we run the table from here on.

I just hate how this team draws me back in.

There's talk that we might be a top 5 team in the league.....

I believe that we are a top 3 team in the NFC, along with the Seahawks and Falcons. Followed by the Vikings, Cardinals, and Packers.

In the AFC, the only team I see better than us would obviously be the Patriots. So yeah, being top 5 is not far-fetched. But I qualify that with Dak remaining the starter.

Top Bottom