Pro Bowler
Reaction score
1) Cowboys will make a move for another teams player

and

2) Cowboys will trade an existing player from their roster

:banana

True to both.

1. We trade for a pass rusher.

2. Escobar, McFadden, and/or Dunbar traded. Maybe Sanchez as well.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I can see McFadden being shipped out. and stop stealing my "true or false" shtick.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
1) Cowboys will make a move for another teams player

and

2) Cowboys will trade an existing player from their roster

:banana

I hope not for number one, a trader Jerry aint. I hope so for number two, getting a 7th is better than nothing for spare parts that are never gonna be used.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It’s time for the Cowboys to trade for a pass-rusher
By John Owning

It’s Time For The Cowboys To Trade For A Pass-Rusher

The Dallas Cowboys are 5-1 so far this season and exceeding everyone’s expectations. The offense has been explosive and suffocating at the same time while the defense is applying their bend-but-don’t-break defense to perfection. Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliot have been fantastic revelations, the offense line is playing out of its mind, and the secondary is executing at a high level without their best cornerback from a year ago, Orlando Scandrick.

The Cowboys have showcased a style and game plan that can beat any team on any given day. They can run the ball down an opponent’s throat, make timely throws and play opportunistic defense, but there is one area the Cowboys must improve. Their pass rush.

While the Cowboys dominated the Green Bay Packers, they failed to consistently apply pressure. DeMarcus Lawrence hurt his shoulder, but he wasn’t getting to Aaron Rodgers anyway. Benson Mayowa reverted to constant speed rushes with a power bull rush thrown in occasionally. Jack Crawford barely sniffs the quarterback all game, and the defensive tackles make a much bigger impact against the run. The one bright spot was David Irving who was able to sack Rodgers and force a fumble.

As the Cowboys face more elite quarterbacks, they can’t afford to give them as much time as they have thus far this season. No matter how good their secondary is playing, a great quarterback will carve them up if there is no pressure.

With that in mind, the Cowboys should try to see if they can pry a star pass-rusher from another team. Here are the players they should target.

Cameron Wake
Cameron Wake would be a temporary solution as he is entering the twilight of his career at 34 years old. Nevertheless, the Dolphins defensive end still has a lot of juice left.

He is an explosive pass-rusher who can bend and flatten to the quarterback as well as anyone in the league. His ability to create a steep angle with his ankles and hips while not losing speed is truly special.

If you don’t think Wake could contribute, watch this play:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Cam Jordan would be as close to a Charles Haley type addition as we could hope for.

I cant see them having much interest in Ray. We already have one pothead DE

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The Cowboys have only made two trades of their players for picks in the last 10 plus years (Lissamore to SD for a 7th round pick in 2013 and Fasano & Akin Ayodele to Miami for a 4th round pick in 2008, let me know if I've missed others).

The Cowboys don't have a good track record of getting much, if anything, for players they're willing to move on from, so I say the chances of trading anyone in exchange for picks is virtually nil.

Now that the team is winning, I can see jeri getting in uber optimistic "we're only one player away"-gambler mode where he believes he's the guy to find the last piece to win it all with visions of being able to pound his chest afterwards for his football brilliance dancing in his head. If that happens, expect Dallas to overpay for someone that likely does little to nothing to improve this years team and likely pisses away draft picks and cap room in the process.

I'd love to see them break from the past and pass on bringing anyone in exchange for valuable draft picks and instead trade a few guys and get some draft capital from their surplus vs letting them rot on the bench and be released in the off season.

Bottomline is, if history is any indication, any trades that happen probably won't be good for the Cowboys so its probably best they stand pat

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think we traded that one scrub TE to the Bears too, forget his name. Rosario?

I think there's a few other guys we may have moved. I'd have to do the research.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Now that the team is winning, I can see jeri getting in uber optimistic "we're only one player away"-gambler mode where he believes he's the guy to find the last piece to win it all with visions of being able to pound his chest afterwards for his football brilliance dancing in his head. If that happens, expect Dallas to overpay for someone that likely does little to nothing to improve this years team and likely pisses away draft picks and cap room in the process.

Jerry is a clown, but in this instance I'd support him making that move because if they get the RIGHT player, it could definitely have a major impact. I don't want to trade away premium picks for jags or just above jag players, but getting a Cam Jordan type DE would be a huge addition. I do think getting a good DE could be the difference between just making the playoffs and being dangerous to making a serious postseason run.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Dolphins, going nowhere fast, actually have 3 pass-rushing ends we could consider in a trade:

Cameron Wake, 6'3", 258, age 34
2016 cap hit $7M
under contract thru 2017
Pros - Damn good pass rusher, he's also a prick
Cons - Age, big salary ($3M of his 2017 contract is guaranteed)

Mario Williams, 6'6", 292, age 31
2016 cap hit - $4.485M
under contract thru 2017
Pros - Can be a dominant player
Cons - Age, can be up and down, $8.485M cap hit next year

Dion Jordan, 6'6", 260, age 26
2016 cap hit - $600k
under contract thru 2017
Pros - Young, cheap
Cons - He's on like Strike 4 of the NFL drug program

All 3 have risks, but I'd pull the trigger on one of them (depending on Miami's trade demands). Cameron Wake would definitely have a Charles Haley type feel to him. Each of them would be a 2-year investment, but with Williams or Jordan, we could walk away after this year with no cap consequences, if they didn't work out.

Last edited:

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jerry is a clown, but in this instance I'd support him making that move because if they get the RIGHT player, it could definitely have a major impact. I don't want to trade away premium picks for jags or just above jag players, but getting a Cam Jordan type DE would be a huge addition. I do think getting a good DE could be the difference between just making the playoffs and being dangerous to making a serious postseason run.

I don't trust him to have anything to do with the process

Having said that, it appears there are some decently qualified, maybe even very good, football folks on staff giving good advice lately, so if they could find a player that was worth pursuing at a restrained price (& jeri wouldn't go in deal mode trying to win at all cost), then I'd be ok with it.

I don't like who has the leverage with in-season deals and thats just compounded if jeri isn't restrained which to be fair, he seems to have been in recent years.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
True to both.

1. We trade for a pass rusher.

2. Escobar, McFadden, and/or Dunbar traded. Maybe Sanchez as well.

I'm going to say False to both. I think they stand pat.

If a RB is traded though I wouldn't be surprised if it's Morris.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
we should be accumulating picks, not pissing them away on a lost cause. this team is not one decent pass rusher away from the promised land.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The Dolphins, going nowhere fast, actually have 3 pass-rushing ends we could consider in a trade:

Cameron Wake, 6'3", 258, age 34
2016 cap hit $7M
under contract thru 2017
Pros - Damn good pass rusher, he's also a prick
Cons - Age, big salary ($3M of his 2017 contract is guaranteed)

Mario Williams, 6'6", 292, age 31
2016 cap hit - $4.485M
under contract thru 2017
Pros - Can be a dominant player
Cons - Age, can be up and down, $8.485M cap hit next year

Dion Jordan, 6'6", 260, age 26
2016 cap hit - $600k
under contract thru 2017
Pros - Young, cheap
Cons - He's on like Strike 4 of the NFL drug program

All 3 have risks, but I'd pull the trigger on one of them (depending on Miami's trade demands). Cameron Wake would definitely have a Charles Haley type feel to him. Each of them would be a 2-year investment, but with Williams or Jordan, we could walk away after this year with no cap consequences, if they didn't work out.

Wake's coming off a major injury though. If he checked out ok and they were dealing middle or later round pick/s I might be down with it.

I don't have any interest in Williams or Jordan though (at least not this Jordan)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
we should be accumulating picks, not pissing them away on a lost cause. this team is not one decent pass rusher away from the promised land.

They very well could be, barring injuries.

Top Bottom