Reaction score
Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice are the only two non kickers in NFL history to score over 1000 points. Smith scored 1052 points total in his career which is 2nd all time to Jerry Rice at 1256 points.

Terrell Owens is the only other player with significant playing time for Dallas that scored over 900 points in their career (942 points total).

Kickers are the players that by far score the most points over the long term for their teams. The record for kicker scoring is 2544 by Morten Anderson which is nearly twice as much as the top non kicker of all time. Smith and Rice are the only two non kickers ranked in the top 50 for lifetime points scored.

The highest point totals for the Cowboys in a single game is 59 which was accomplished twice.

1968 Cowboys 59 Lions 13
Detroit Lions at Dallas Cowboys - September 15th, 1968 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

1980 Cowboys 59 49ers 14
San Francisco 49ers at Dallas Cowboys - October 12th, 1980 | Pro-Football-Reference.com
- I have this game in my collection. Joe Montana was the back up QB in this game. He was also the special teams place holder. This game and the 1992-93 NFC Championship game were the only two losses of Montana's career against Dallas as a 49er, both as back up QB.

The Cowboys have twice broken 50 points in the post season.

Dallas Cowboys Playoff History | Pro-Football-Reference.com

1967 Cowboys 52 Browns 14
- The old timers will tell you this one was particularly sweet since the Cowboys had been dominated by Cleveland in the early years of the franchise.

Jan 1993 Cowboys 52 Bills 17
- Not much needs to be said that we all don't already know.

[video=youtube;knf1pwEReSw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knf1pwEReSw[/video]

The NFL record for scoring is 73 points by the 1940 Chicago Bears over the Washington Redskins in the NFL title game.
1940 NFL Championship Game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is an unofficial record of 127 points scored in an exhibition game in 1925, but this game is not counted by the NFL. The Providence Steam Roller defeated West Point Field Artillery 127-0 in an exhibition game 9/20/1925.
Pro Football: Most Points Scored in a Game / List of 60+ Point Games « SportsDelve.com

70 points or more has happened 2 other times in NFL history, both during the regular season.
Baltimore Colts at Los Angeles Rams - October 22nd, 1950 | Pro-Football-Reference.com
New York Giants at Washington Redskins - November 27th, 1966 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Note - where I don't give links to some of these stats just assume it was found via google, wikipedia, and nfl.com.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Don't think we played Montana when he was a Chief. So technically the Cowboys never beat Montana. Always hated that guy.

And Joe Montana's Sports Talk Football for the Genesis was shit.

Reaction score
Don't think we played Montana when he was a Chief. So technically the Cowboys never beat Montana. Always hated that guy.

I had the first two sports talk games for the Genesis. Fun times.

Reaction score

I'm gonna nerd rage quibble with you on this one. Montana did see some action in the 59-14 game. And also in my opinion if you suit up for the game then you get a share of the loss. However, you are correct in that we never beat Montana as the starter. We've never beaten Brady either. We might get one last shot at that if he plays for a few more years, but he could retire soon.

Top Bottom