yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I envy this kind of innovation and creativity:

I think when you listen to Bruce Arians talk, as I did this week on my podcast, I find it stunning that it took him so long to get a head coaching job. Imagine this: There were eight coaching openings in 2013 … he’s the first interim coach to ever win coach of the year … the first seven openings get filled without Arians getting a shot … the eighth team, piloted by Arizona president Michael Bidwill, took the plunge. Listen to this idea about teaching players, and you see why it’s a wonder Arians couldn’t get a job till age 60: “We have one of the largest staffs in the league, because I want small classrooms. Michael Bidwill was very gracious. Let’s say I have $450,000 to hire one coach. Could I have three for $150,000? So I have smaller classrooms, and more eyes. I had a different idea how I wanted to get rookies ready. We have two tight end coaches. We have three offensive line coaches. When we come to the spring, and we have 90 guys on our roster, we have two practices going on. I want to have enough quality people to go to that other field, and those rookies get those 48 snaps that day, and the veterans get 48 snaps, rather than the veterans getting all the snaps and the rookies get three. You’re not gonna find a diamond in the rough standing on the sideline. With the larger coaching staff, not only do we get the reps, we got ‘em coached. We’re bringing quality young coaches into the NFL. Our job is to make the game better, not just win games.” No wonder so many players have loved playing for Arians over the years.

source

Reaction score
Yeah but do they stack good days on top of good days? And what happened, did he just forget to use the word "process?"

I'm not even sure he's a real NFL coach anymore.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah but do they stack good days on top of good days? And what happened, did he just forget to use the word "process?"

I'm not even sure he's a real NFL coach anymore.

good point, mods please delete

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Watch the Football Life on him. He's so legit. He paid his dues and worked his way up, even coached for Bear Bryant. Not a phony bone in his body.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Watch the Football Life on him. He's so legit. He paid his dues and worked his way up, even coached for Bear Bryant. Not a phony bone in his body.

I saw that a while back, it was great and made me envious. It also pissed me off because it reminded me of the kind of coaches jeri brings in that are so inferior

I wonder if jeri had any clue about Arians history or even values that type of experience

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this yimy. Great read and great insight on what makes a good coach and a good leader. Some folks are just wired differently.

Top Bottom