Oldfestus408

Spectator
Reaction score
OK, I don't know about any of you but the Cowboys pickup of Mark Sanchez seems at best desperate.
Yes he is a veteran. Yes he was a top draft selection a few years back.
But, if Dak gets hurt and Sanchez is called upon to lead the team, the Boys are sunk.
I'd rather lose with a rookie (someone claimed off waivers) than lose with someone you know you are going to lose with!
Does anyone else see this as a bad move?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Denver handed him a job on a silver platter and he shit all over himself. Here is a little secret: They are probably better at talent evaluation than the Cowboys. If you love turn overs stay tuned. Morons at the zone tripping all over themselves endorsing this move.

Reaction score
Garrett and Wade know quarterbacks. I feel real good about this move. Pretty sure Sanchez parlays this signing into a huge free agent contract next year.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Meh, not much available and we didnt give up anything. What QB at this point would be a "good" signing anyway?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I was going to post a get ready to pick up Mark Sanchez thread as soon as I heard he was cut. But I had to take a dump first and Jerry beat me to it and already signed him. lol

I agree with the OP

I would rather go down with the sinking ship if Dak shits the bed than count on a vet who couldn't take the starting job from a rookie on another team, then couldn't even make the bottom of their depth chart.

Let's hope we never have to play Mr INT

Reaction score
Well, I guess Sanchez is better than Showers. So there's that.

Sanchez is a bus driver. Unfortunately, usually it is the short bus.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sanchez isn't a bad move and I like him better than Weeden, Cassel, Moore and Showers (not that that's saying much). He's no more than a stop gap player and an upgrade over what we have at the back-up position. Unfortunately, we had to make the move.

Reaction score
Sanchez isn't a bad move and I like him better than Weeden, Cassel, Moore and Showers (not that that's saying much). He's no more than a stop gap player and an upgrade over what we have at the back-up position. Unfortunately, we had to make the move.

Not sure about Moore, but yes to the others.

Reaction score
#Cowboys insist they haven't violated #NFL protocol, saying backup QB Mark Sanchez still has not signed. Discussing 1-year deal

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure about Moore, but yes to the others.

Moore is just not an NFL caliber QB. He's a smart guy but is too physically limited (arm strength). Moore gives us nothing on gameday.

Reaction score
Blurb from Peter King. Kind of common sense though. But hey you don't get 40k+ posts by posting gems.

8. The Sanchize won’t be playing in Dallas unless Dak Prescott’s a total fraud. Mark Sanchez got whacked in Denver when the Broncos could find no trade takers for him. He’s strictly an insurance policy for Dallas, and no threat to Prescott’s job unless the rookie stinks.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Like I said awhile ago, if (or when) Romo goes down the season is lost. Now granted that was before Dak took off like a rocket. But I still stand by my original statement.

I really hope Dak is "the answer" and our future. But even if he is he is going to struggle this year. It's going to take him time to adjust, and that's ok and to be expected.

So I'm optimistically writing this season off with the "hope" that Dak does the near impossible for a rookie and can carry this team on his back like Romo has had to do for years

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really hope Dak is "the answer" and our future. But even if he is he is going to struggle this year. It's going to take him time to adjust, and that's ok and to be expected.

This isn't the NFL of old. It's a QB driven and QB friendly league. It's why guys like Brady, Wilson and Kapernick can compete and take their teams to the SB almost immediately after assuming the starting QB job and no later than year 2. QB's show their worth almost immediately.

That doesn't mean that you can't develop guys like Romo or Warner but a young QB is not the ticket to mediocrity that it was years ago. Prescott has shown me enough to give me hope that he could be special. At the very least, we should have a good idea of what we have with Prescott. This day was coming sooner or later. I'm just glad we're not starting the season with Matt Moore or Weeden.

Reaction score
We're an 8 win team at best with Prescott.

To date he's been a one read QB who's i don't even think has taken every snap and done play action or a moving pocket.

Exotic blitzes and coverages are going to fuck him up this year.

Temper your enthusiasm, noobs.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

To date he's been a one read QB who's i don't even think has taken every snap and done play action or a moving pocket.

I'm about as jaded as you can get with this team, it's owner/GM and it's dolt coach. But it's not fair to say Prescott wasn't given a moving pocket or play action. He was and he handled it well which why I'm holding out that he could be a good QB. Those are things that I look for, as well as arm strength and accuracy.

We all know he's going to see things he's never seen before and the speed of the game if far different in the NFL than anything he's ever seen. But I've gotten to the point where I believe we've gone as far as we can go with Romo. He'll never last a whole season and, even if he does, the skill set will start to erode even further. I've seen enough to know that Dak is the best back-up we've had, not just because of his skill set and intelligence, but also because he's a step in the right direction for the future of the franchise. We are/were going nowhere with McGee, Weeden, Cassel, Showers or Moore. We need to get serious about finding the next "one." Prescott may or may not be it, but then we move on and draft the next guy.

My only reservation is I'm still not convinced the dolts running this team can find that guy so all hopes are on us hitting gold with Prescott. And for all those folks who think it was part of some master plan or the team knew Prescott had "it," let's not forget that we frantically tried to move up for Lynch and would have drafted Cook if he was available.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
And for all those folks who think it was part of some master plan or the team knew Prescott had "it," let's not forget that we frantically tried to move up for Lynch and would have drafted Cook if he was available.

This for sure.

But its the best we can hope for with Jerry.

Reaction score

Caution. Caution. Sure, we get that.

But you are being overly pessimistic. Prescott hasn't been limited to the first read on every play. He's thrown on the run and from the pocket. He's a rookie and he'll make mistakes, but to date he's clearly outplayed the other rookie QBs ... even the ones who cost far more in terms of draft choices.

Here's the schedule:

Giants
at Redskins
Bears
at 49ers
Bengals
at Packers
bye
Eagles
at Browns
at Steelers
Ravens
Redskins
at Vikings
at Giants
Buccaneers
Lions
at Eagles

It doesn't look like an especially tough schedule by NFL standards. The Cowboys could go 8-8, of course, but I could see them doing better if a few things go right ... such as getting their running game on track.

Top Bottom