Reaction score
CFB Playoffs is

1. Alabama vs 4. Washington

2. Clemson vs 3. Ohio State

I'm a little conflicted, because while I think Ohio State might be the only team in that mix that has a fighters chance of beating Alabama, I really don't think you should be able to compete for a National Championship if you don't even win your conference.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
, I really don't think you should be able to compete for a National Championship if you don't even win your conference.

Why? They only had 1 loss. Penn State had two. I hate the Buckeyes but they did go into Norman and absolutely bitch slap the Sooners, which was probably the best non conference road win any Big 10 team had this year (maybe any conference, I'd have to research it more)

Michigan has a little bit of a beef IMO because they destroyed Penn State and beat Wisconsin, and then got robbed at Ohio State. But even they limped across the finish line (ugly loss at Iowa, barely beat Indian, ugly game vs OSU)

Alabama is the only great team. The rest (all of college teams) are a bunch of flawed teams that are along for the ride this year.

Reaction score
Why? They only had 1 loss. Penn State had two. I hate the Buckeyes but they did go into Norman and absolutely bitch slap the Sooners, which was probably the best non conference road win any Big 10 team had this year (maybe any conference, I'd have to research it more)

Michigan has a little bit of a beef IMO because they destroyed Penn State and beat Wisconsin, and then got robbed at Ohio State. But even they limped across the finish line (ugly loss at Iowa, barely beat Indian, ugly game vs OSU)

Alabama is the only great team. The rest (all of college teams) are a bunch of flawed teams that are along for the ride this year.

IDK. Just seems off. But I guess it's like how in the NFL you can win you don't have to win your division to win the Super Bowl.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it. But I don't know I agree with it overall.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The full bowl schedule is absolutely awful.

They've ruined what used to be an awesome time of year.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember when there were no Bowl games after Jan 1st. :oldman

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

I understand why they're not in the playoff but damn I'd like to see Michigan in there, I think they would put up a much better fight than Washington, I bet Wash gets steam rolled

Reaction score
I understand why they're not in the playoff but damn I'd like to see Michigan in there, I think they would put up a much better fight than Washington, I bet Wash gets steam rolled
It's not gonna be surprising to see any of these teams get steamrolled by Bama. That said, I wouldn't underestimate U-Dub. They have a pretty damn good defense too. If they don't give the ball away, they could make it interesting.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Like Mid said, why even have conferences if winning them means nothing?

That said, if a maracle had happened and Florida had won the other day, they obviously wouldn't have made it either.

They just need more teams. At least go to six so you can have the conference winners plus one wild card.

But back to the point, the committee at times says winning the conference means a lot, but then other times ignores it. Let's be honest, they're just going to do what they want to do and that's going to change from year to year. Unfortunately big names and projected ratings are probably always going to mean more than they should.

Reaction score
Florida had a good defense too.

Alabama is just on another level.
Ya, but their offense is terrible.

What did Bama's defense score 21 points? Florida ran a stupid fake punt deep in their own end. You gotta be good on both ends and not make dumb mistakes to even have a chance.

Reaction score
But back to the point, the committee at times says winning the conference means a lot, but then other times ignores it. Let's be honest, they're just going to do what they want to do and that's going to change from year to year. Unfortunately big names and projected ratings are probably always going to mean more than they should.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It's not gonna be surprising to see any of these teams get steamrolled by Bama. That said, I wouldn't underestimate U-Dub. They have a pretty damn good defense too. If they don't give the ball away, they could make it interesting.

Ha, I'll admit I'm talking out of my ass and haven't followed U-Dub.

My entire premise is based on my distrust of the Pac 12 quality of competition

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score

I agree.
There's 40 some odd bowls, it's almost become the NCAA's version of a participation trophy.
This year not even a whole lot of mystery for the mythical national championship.
Washington, OSU, and Clemson are all pretty good teams, but I really don't think any of them will beat Bama.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Like Mid said, why even have conferences if winning them means nothing?

That said, if a maracle had happened and Florida had won the other day, they obviously wouldn't have made it either.

They just need more teams. At least go to six so you can have the conference winners plus one wild card.

I don't agree with the bolded statement at all. Some conferences clearly have their 2nd and 3rd best teams better than another conference's "winner"

If the conference championship was based on just the regular season results and teams played most everyone (if not everyone) in their conference, maybe what you said in bold would make more sense to me. But there are clearly going to be instances like this year where the teams "conference championship game" doesn't always produce the best team from that conference, or not always better than some other conference's runner up teams.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbair1967
I agree.
There's 40 some odd bowls, it's almost become the NCAA's version of a participation trophy.

Outside of the 2 teams playing for the national championship, the bowls have always felt like a participation trophy to me.

They have little meaning besides a tiered reward system for teams to get to travel someplace, live it up a bit and play in a game commensurate with their record & ability of their fans to travel.

What made bowl games more meaningful in the past than they are today?

At least now, I feel like we get 3 really meaningful games.

If I had any say, I'd expand the number of teams to 32+, with the bowls each getting a playoff game, which would give every game FAR more meaning than they currently have. 32 teams would create 31 bowl/playoff games (16+8+4+2+1).

Never gonna happen, but I dont understand why, college football has always struck me as the weirdest of any sport for determining a champion. I cant think of any other sport that does it this way.

Last edited:

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
They definitely do suck.

/cmdbatsignal

You shut your whore mouth.

No, off year for the Pac 12. Oregon was garbage, UCLA fell off. Stanford not the dominant, power team they usually are. USC with a rough start. Washington has some NFL talent but Alabama will run right over them.

I'll be at the Fiesta Bowl to see Ohio State v. Clemson. Was invited to the Rose Bowl just today but not sure I can pull off Saturday night Fiesta Bowl, Monday Rose Bowl, and then two weeks in Nashville and New York.

The playoffs should be 8 teams. No more, no less.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This has to be the worst bowl schedule in history. Was just perusing the schedule again:

There are like 18 teams with a 6-6 record playing in a bowl. (Several of them play each other, making for a truly pathetic matchup of mediocrity)

Three teams actually have LOSING records: Hawaii (6-7), Mississippi St (5-7), North Texas (5-7)

Top Bottom