Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm looking to move from Los Angeles to TX within the next 2-3 years or maybe less.

I've driven through TX a couple times but wasn't thinking about moving there at the time so I didn't pay attention to the neighborhoods.

I am hoping some of you that live in TX might be able to offer some ideas on cities to look at.

The wife and I are planning a trip later this year to scout a few neighborhoods so I'd like to start working on a game plan on which ones to check out while we are in TX

couple things I'm looking for, I can not be more than 30 minutes away from the ocean. I do a lot of salt water fishing. Some fresh as well so if there is also a freshwater lake near by as well that would be idea. I'd prefer not to have to tow the boat for an hour every time I want to go fishing like I have to living in L.A.

It needs to be somewhat near a major metropolitan area for work. Living out in the sticks where I have to drive a couple hours to get to work would be impractical

I know this limits my options to south/ southwest Texas. And I'm fine with that

I'm hoping to stay around $300k but would be willing to go up to $400k if it meets my needs. Even $500k of the place was a dream home/ranch. I would like to have hunting options available as well. But I would rather have to drive further to hunt than to fish because I fish a lot more often than I hunt.

The only stipulation that my wife has is she doesn't want to be so close to the ocean that she has to worry about hurricanes

I'm sure that may conflict with my wanting to be within 30 minutes of the gulf. If so then I'll just lie to her and tell her that the hurricanes don't come that far inland. Even if we can see the gulf from the patio window. lol

If the $300-$400 price range is way out of line for what I'm looking for please let me know. My plan is to pay cash for it and have a nice chunk of change leftover for a nice boat. But if that price range isn't even in the ballpark for what I want I need to know so I can plan accordingly

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
couple things I'm looking for, I can not be more than 30 minutes away from the ocean.
Then, it's really not Texas. The entire Gulf Coast is more like Cleveland than anything in Texas.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Let me put it this way, it's not California and that's what really matters.

I value my rights way too much to continue living in Kaliforniastan

With the wide sweeping anti 2A bills that were just signed into law by Gov Brown this state will never be the same again.

Plus I refuse to have to pass a background check every time I buy ammo and be put in a database every time I do

By the way, how many hours drive is it from the coast to the stadium?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Let me put it this way, it's not California and that's what really matters.

I value my rights way too much to continue living in Kaliforniastan

With the wide sweeping anti 2A bills that were just signed into law by Gov Brown this state will never be the same again.

Plus I refuse to have to pass a background check every time I buy ammo and be put in a database every time I do

By the way, how many hours drive is it from the coast to the stadium?

OTOH you'll probably be able to buy dope at 7-11 next year if thats your thing.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Then, it's really not Texas. The entire Gulf Coast is more like Cleveland than anything in Texas.

I don't know shit about Cleveland other than they have a perennial shitty football team

Can you explain that a little more?

Reaction score
Speaking as someone who's lived in SoCal and in Texas, you're going to be disappointed in Texas beaches. But if you have to be close to the gulf and in a metro area, then you're essentially limiting yourself to Houston. There are some nice areas there, but generally Houston is a pain in the ass.

If you could stand being a few hours away, I'd suggest Austin. Yeah, it's a liberal enclave in the state, but the area is gorgeous, and there's tons to do there... it's a real outdoorsy city. And it's only about a 3 hour drive from the Death Star. If you're looking at living on the coast, you better prepare for at least a 5-6 hour drive.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't know shit about Cleveland other than they have a perennial shitty football team

Can you explain that a little more?

I'll add my take.....the Texas coast is completely unappealing, the water is dirty and for some reason it has no allure whereas I love Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara and Malibu. Hell, the entire California Coast is awesome and there's not one place Id like to go to in Texas. I remember when I first went to South Padre Island (supposedly the great beach to go to in Texas), after driving around for a few minutes I was thinking "what the fuck is this shit?" and haven't been back since I was in high school

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I'll add my take.....the Texas coast is completely unappealing, the water is dirty and for some reason it has no allure whereas I love Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara and Malibu. Hell, the entire California Coast is awesome and there's not one place Id like to go to in Texas. I remember when I first went to South Padre Island (supposedly the great beach to go to in Texas), after driving around for a few minutes I was thinking "what the fuck is this shit?" and haven't been back since I was in high school

Yep TX beaches are awful. You described it to a TEE

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Speaking as someone who's lived in SoCal and in Texas, you're going to be disappointed in Texas beaches. But if you have to be close to the gulf and in a metro area, then you're essentially limiting yourself to Houston. There are some nice areas there, but generally Houston is a pain in the ass.

If you could stand being a few hours away, I'd suggest Austin. Yeah, it's a liberal enclave in the state, but the area is gorgeous, and there's tons to do there... it's a real outdoorsy city. And it's only about a 3 hour drive from the Death Star. If you're looking at living on the coast, you better prepare for at least a 5-6 hour drive.

Thanks Pep
I don't really care what the beaches themselves are like. I don't go to the beach to layout or hang out at the beach. I wont even be on the beach for the most part unless it's to launch my kayak. Otherwise I will be launching the boat from a dock or from a slip in the marina. All of my fishing/spear fishing and diving will be offshore. That's why I only care about how long of a drive it is to get to the coast and not what the actual beach is like once I get there.

Where I'm at now I'm about 45 minutes to an hour and half away from the coast when I want to go fishing. But that's only because of the shitty LA traffic. I'd like to shorten that drive if at all possible.

Houston looks pretty close. Does Houston get hit with Hurricanes or is it far enough inland?

If Austin is a Liberal City and a few hours away from the coast that would rule it out. The distance is one, but I am leaving CA because of the liberal BS that is currently going on here. That is in and of itself a big reason why I'm leaving CA.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
whats this?
CA Gov. Brown just signed 7 wide sweeping gun bills. What is now known as Guncopolypse. Every single gun store in the state has petitions out for each of the 7 bills to get all seven placed onto the Ballot.

The new bills will basically make any person who lawfully purchased a large capacity magazine or an AR-15 type rifle who still has it in their possession within the state of CA after Jan 2017 a criminal. There is not even a grandfather clause to allow any person who currently (as I write this) legally owns either of the two mentioned above to be able to keep the firearm. (including a legally registered assault weapon purchased and registered with the DOJ prior to the 2001 AW Ban)

Any and all AR-15 style rifles are required to be moved out of state, destroyed, or turned over to law enforcement for destruction. As are all high capacity magazines above 10 rounds prior to Jan 1st, 2017. They can not be given away, transferred, or handed down to family.

I'll be dammed if I will allow the govt. to turn me into a criminal for owning something that I was legally allowed to purchase, own, and use nearly 20 years ago. Not to mention the financial loss of thousands of dollars of value to my collection.

Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Whats the temp difference between say Dallas and the Gulf Coast on a given day. For instance in Los Angeles it is usually at least 10-15 or more degrees warmer than it is near the coast. Is it the same way in TX? Or is it just hot as fuck no matter where you go?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The wife and I were just looking at houses in Houston and it made me hate CA even more. Home prices are so overly inflated here.

A nice house in Houston that ranges from $350-$400 would be worth $800-$1 million here in L.A.

It's ridiculous how much homes are here in Los Angeles.

A new construction home a few driveways down from mine just sold for $1.2 mil. That house in any other state (except maybe New York) would be in the mid $400's or maybe high $300's

Reaction score
Thanks Pep
I don't really care what the beaches themselves are like. I don't go to the beach to layout or hang out at the beach. I wont even be on the beach for the most part unless it's to launch my kayak. Otherwise I will be launching the boat from a dock or from a slip in the marina. All of my fishing/spear fishing and diving will be offshore. That's why I only care about how long of a drive it is to get to the coast and not what the actual beach is like once I get there.

Where I'm at now I'm about 45 minutes to an hour and half away from the coast when I want to go fishing. But that's only because of the shitty LA traffic. I'd like to shorten that drive if at all possible.

Houston looks pretty close. Does Houston get hit with Hurricanes or is it far enough inland?

If Austin is a Liberal City and a few hours away from the coast that would rule it out. The distance is one, but I am leaving CA because of the liberal BS that is currently going on here. That is in and of itself a big reason why I'm leaving CA.
Yeah, you're going to have to balance being close to the coast and the Hurricane threat. Seems once every 5 years or so a hurricane hits the Texas gulf coast... And when they hit, the whole coast gets something. Houston's far enough inland that they don't get the most powerful part of the hurricane, but there are definitely those who will evacuate from down there. Flooding there can get pretty bad.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Thx again Pep

Was Houston an area hit by the recent flooding?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Whats the temp difference between say Dallas and the Gulf Coast on a given day. For instance in Los Angeles it is usually at least 10-15 or more degrees warmer than it is near the coast. Is it the same way in TX? Or is it just hot as fuck no matter where you go?

Its hot everywhere but its even worse near the coast and in Houston because its humid as fuck on top of the heat

Top Bottom