Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This year it's like that in north Texas too. I don't remember weeks and weeks of 70+ dewpoints in August like this. I swear last night at 11 pm felt exactly like Houston.

Scot, you could look at a place like the Woodlands north of Houston if you're worried about hurricanes. Longer drive to the coast but pretty with pine trees everywhere. I spent some time in Sugar Land several years ago on the southwest side and we used to go to the coast sw of Galveston where you can avoid Houston proper traffic. Iirc it took about 40 minutes to get to the water. No the beach and the people won't be pretty like LA but like you say, who cares.

Thx TE

We took a look at Sugarland and found a place we absolutely love for about $425k

Wish I could move today because that house has everything we want, the neighborhood looked good, and it was close enough to what we need

I still can't believe the type of house you get for the money in TX. It just blows my mind. You can barely get a run down crackhouse for $425 here

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm quite happy in the open plains of the Llano Estacado where the nearest neighbor is about 10 miles away and I can see any approach at the horizon in any direction. But that's just me. It's a short drive for the amenities of a medium-sized city, and the weather is just stellar with all four seasons quite pronounced.

Sort of like the house in this clip - although this is in the Hill Country around Marfa, where there's no real winter to speak of, and no rain to speak of either. But, you might get some idea.

Reenactflix : No Country for Old Men : Scene 2: I feel overmatched. - YouTube

Speaking of open plains, do you or anyone for that matter know what the requirements are to be able to shoot on your own land?

My second option is moving a little further away from a major metro area "if" I can find a place where I can set up a rifle/pistol range on my own property. I understand this will require a large piece of land to allow for this which I really like.

Anyone know what all is required to be able to set up your own range?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Speaking of open plains, do you or anyone for that matter know what the requirements are to be able to shoot on your own land?
Inside city limits you cannot discharge a firearm. Out in the county, it's open range and shoot all you want.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Inside city limits you cannot discharge a firearm. Out in the county, it's open range and shoot all you want.

I suppose that would be a more accurate question

What constitutes outside the city limits in TX?

Iamtdg

Reaction score

It varies from county to county, but here in Lubbock county, you can shoot on your own land out in the country but you can't hunt unless you have 10 contiguous acres.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It varies from county to county, but here in Lubbock county, you can shoot on your own land out in the country but you can't hunt unless you have 10 contiguous acres.

Man, times have changed. I went to Tech from 84-88 and parked my pickup in the dorm parking lot with my shotgun on full display in my gun rack (when it wasn't leaning against the wall of my dorm room closet).

I suspect guns are no longer allowed on campus?

We used to just drive outside of town and go hunting around the dump as well as jumping fences and hunting unauthorized.

We might be considered terrorists had we done this today

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Man, times have changed. I went to Tech from 84-88 and parked my pickup in the dorm parking lot with my shotgun on full display in my gun rack (when it wasn't leaning against the wall of my dorm room closet).

I suspect guns are no longer allowed on campus?

We used to just drive outside of town and go hunting around the dump as well as jumping fences and hunting unauthorized.

We might be considered terrorists had we done this today

Actually, they just implemented concealed carry on campus.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Actually, they just implemented concealed carry on campus.

I'd love it if some idiot isis lover with bad intentions was someplace in Texas loaded with cameras and yelled allah akbar but before he can get his finger on the trigger of his gun/bomb, a dozen people with concealed handguns fill him with lead.

let that video become viral among those isis dipshits thinking they can come to the US and pull their shit. Those sorry, sucker punch, mother fuckers that they are.

<apologies for the thread derail and rant>

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Question

If I move in or around Houston and am wearing my Cowboys jerseys on game day are Houston fans going to be pussies about it?

Or have they learned to respect that there has always and will always only be one real football team in Texas, and that's the Dallas Cowboys!

Or will they be territorial? I would guess that there are still more Dallas fans in and around Houston then there are converted Houston fans. But I'm obviously biased

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised

The Texans have only existed since what 2002?

I just figured there would be more die hard lifelong cowboy fans all over the state that wouldn't convert to being a Texan fan

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
There are tons of Cowboys fans in Houston. Tons. When I was there ten years ago, I could go in any sports bar and the Cowboys would be on almost every TV. Now granted, that was before Houston went to the playoffs a few times, so I'm sure there are more Texans fans now. But a lot of old Oilers fans refused to convert and a lot of people love the Cowboys from their glory days.

Now are the local media and Texans fans salty about the Cowboys? Absolutely. But that's just pure jealousy.

You just have to embrace that hatred. :awkward

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
As a Cowboy fan in 49er/raider/Rams country I have embraced the hate for years! So I'm used to it

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

Come knock on my door, fuck face. I dare you.

I'm two houses down to your right.

Better yet. Doorbell ditch me, so I can try and see if I can catch you.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Speaking as someone who's lived in SoCal and in Texas, you're going to be disappointed in Texas beaches. But if you have to be close to the gulf and in a metro area, then you're essentially limiting yourself to Houston. There are some nice areas there, but generally Houston is a pain in the ass.

If you could stand being a few hours away, I'd suggest Austin. Yeah, it's a liberal enclave in the state, but the area is gorgeous, and there's tons to do there... it's a real outdoorsy city. And it's only about a 3 hour drive from the Death Star. If you're looking at living on the coast, you better prepare for at least a 5-6 hour drive.

I have a question for you Pep

What are the differences in taxes between CA and TX? Since you have lived in both I figured you would be the best person to ask.

I read that there is no State income tax and no state property tax. But it seems that there is a local property tax or something similar

Can you tell me the main tax differences between the states?

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
DO NOT MOVE TO HOUSTON. THAT CITY IS A GIANT PIECE OF SHIT. EVERYONE IN DALLAS, SAN ANTONIO, AND AUSTIN CALL IT THE STATE'S BUTTHOLE FOR A REASON. THERE ARE NO ZONING LAWS, SO THE CITY ITSELF IS UGLY AS FUCK. THE WEATHER IS SO HUMID IT'S LITERALLY LIKE A SAUNA. THE TRAFFIC IS THE WORST IN THE STATE, AND THERE'S NOTHING BUT A BUNCH OF FAT PEOPLE.

GALVESTON AND PORT Aransas SUCK ASS TOO. LIKE MUDDY BEACHES AND NASTY WATER? THAT'S THE PLACE FOR YOU THEN.

DALLAS AREA IS YOUR BEST BET. AUSTIN IS NICE, BUT MAD OVERCROWDED.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Thx Rynie

The more I think about it and look into it I'm leaning more towards a larger piece of land (10 plus acres) so I can shoot and hunt on it. I'm about an hour to an hour and a half away from the coast in traffic now so I'd be willing to move a little further inland.

What options does the extra 30 minute drive (1 hour total to the coast) open up for me?

So essentially I want a large piece of property that I can hunt and shoot on, or at the vary least just shoot on, with a decent house, and for it to be no more than an hour away from the coast.

Top Bottom