dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Well for the 3rd straight game the QB play is the headliner, both for good and bad reasons.

1) I have no idea if Romo plays in week one, they say he will and I guess its a good sign that he was lobbying pretty hard to come back in the game last night. I rarely give credit to Garrett for anything anymore, but telling Romo basically "hell no you are not going back in" was the right thing to do. Unfortunately what we saw is further proof that at any time, with any hit it could be the end of his career. Now I guess the potential upside is if he truly is able to walk away from that pretty wicked tackle last night and be ok, maybe the back WILL hold up. Still, I'd say the odds of him playing all 16 games this year are slim and close to none.

2) On to Dak Prescott. Yeah he got a little fortunate that Witten made a sensational catch on that TD, but the LB did keep his back turned the whole time and a QB can see that. Maybe Prescott did know what he was doing there. Otherwise he was spot on again even when he was facing Seattle's excellent starters. Should have had a long gain or even a TD on that bomb to TW. Made good decisions and threw the ball extremely well. Its a common theme now every game. Its hard to say exactly what will happen when he faces others teams 1's exclusively, but last night he played a couple drives against Seattle's starters without Elliott, Dez and Witten on the field and still looked good. Nobody wants it to happen, but there's a chance Romo could get Wally Pipped if he gets hurt during the regular season and has to miss more than a game or two. Once he gets in there, Prescott may be there for 10+ yrs. I think that's maybe part of the reason Romo was lobbying so hard to get back in last night. Maybe he feels a little bit of that there already. Ideally, Prescott would get a whole yr or so to continue learning, refining and polishing his game, but I feel pretty strong that barring a rash of other injuries if Prescott has to play in real games this yr, we DO have good chances to win. Couldn't say that in recent seasons for sure.

3) Now onto the other headliner, Zeke Elliott. I was confident we got a great player on draft day. Many were growing anxious though from not seeing it on the field for real that MAYBE there was a slight chance he wouldn't be as good as hoped. No worries anymore. He's as good, maybe even better than hoped. He runs like a truck but has quick feet, change of direction skills and speed. He had a couple of textbook pass blocks. He runs inside and outside. He took some huge hits and didn't fumble. Was on a pace for nearly 200 yds against one of the leagues best defenses on the road with a rookie 4th rd pick at QB and no Dez Bryant to influence defensive alignments. Barring injury this kid is going to be an all pro for years to come.

4) The first half defense did some good things. I think the final number was only 22 rush yards allowed and Seattle is a really good run team. But there were still some plays with not enough pass rush. The Cowboys backups predictably got worked bad in the 3rd quarter by Seattle starters. I still don't like Barry Church at SS and the strong OLB spot is an issue but if they could somehow make one move before week one and get someone that can generate some sort of consistent outside pass rush, I think we could be set up pretty well for a good 2016. Its the one thing that's missing on what appears to be an otherwise pretty solid team.

5) I noticed Justin Durant started at MLB last night in place of Hitchens. I didnt really notice him doing anything good or bad but as mentioned above, starters did a good job vs run when they were in. Maliek Collins also started at 3T in place of Crawford and I noticed he did get into the backfield on a couple of plays. T McClain looked pretty good and Thornton was a solid addition this offseason. With Tyrone Crawford back this has the looks of a nice 4 man rotation at DT if they can all stay healthy. I think Benson Mayowa started at RDE, I only saw one play where he beat his guy vs pass but he did make a TFL vs the run. Needs more work, I know they don't like to play starters in the final preseason game but I'd have him out there next week along with Maliek Collins getting them plenty of reps.

6) I am still not ready to believe in Morris Claiborne but he is having a good preseason and had a good TC. He had one play where he had kinda soft coverage and gave up a completion and another where he missed a tackle. On the TD he gave up he had excellent coverage and made a play for the ball, but Wilson just made a perfect throw. He also nearly had another pick. He's better than Carr and maybe this yr he wont be the sieve he's been in previous seasons.

7) Lawrence Okoye started slow but late in the 3rd and most of the 4th qtr he showed up. Got into the backfield quite a bit and got credit for a sack when he chased Boykin out of bounds on a 4th and 1 scramble, showing some real athletic ability/speed. Got credit for 5 tackles, the 1 sack and a TFL. He probably wont make the 53, but he'll be someone I will be hoping we can get on the PS.

8) Lucky Whitehead is proving to be a nice 5th WR and return guy, but this Dax Swanson is very interesting. I believe he had quite a few picks in college as a CB (I thought I read 8 last yr alone) and he definitely has explosive traits as a return guy and looks very natural at catching the ball back there. Had a TD called back for a penalty but had a couple other good returns and one or two in previous weeks too. He has speed and playmaking ability. I am reasonably sure wont make the 53 but like Okoye I really hope we find a way to keep this kid on the PS.

9) I know it was his first playing time all preseason, but Jeff Heath was atrocious vs the run and pass. He along with Wilcox have to be the worst pair of backup safeties in the NFL. I know he got a 4yr deal to stay and I don't know the cap implications, but I'd be thinking seriously of dumping Heath after what I saw last night. Wilcox is in the final yr of his deal and I think its gets more obvious every week that he isn't going to be here come opening day. Keep waiting for Ryan Russell to show something but other than one or two plays he looks pretty JAGGY. Its definitely too bad David Irving and Charles Tapper both got hurt.

10) Starting OL is definitely ready to go and for the 3rd straight game I thought the backup OL improved. Chaz Green got a lot of snaps vs the Seattle starters and while he had some struggles he also had some good moments. I would think if he has a solid game vs Houston next week he'll seal up the swing OT job. Looney is also a nice veteran backup to have around.

11) Dan Bailey is human after all. Missed a 52 yd FG after hooking it a bit.

12) Like I said above, there's still some areas where we arnt great at but other than the lack of a proven pass rusher I think we have the makings of a good team. I don't know the cost or even if someone of decent ability will be available, but this would be the one move that could move the team from just a playoff contender in the NFC East to potentially a team that could make a deep run. I think the price for Charles Haley in 1992 was two 2nd rd picks. If there was a player like that available I'd definitely pay that and not think twice right now with the team we have.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
He also nearly had another pick.

only because the receiver in front of him popped the ball into the air, not because he did anything remotely athletic. he's still a turd.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
only because the receiver in front of him popped the ball into the air, not because he did anything remotely athletic. he's still a turd.

Was that the one he was diving on or another play?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Saw Broaddus comments on Maliek Collins, he said he didn't see anything with him watching game live.

I could have sworn it was Collins who drew the holding call and also burst upfield pretty quick on both one run and one pass. Didn't get there but he did come off pretty quick.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We'll see how fast if at all, Zeke moderates his style. His agent I am sure is already in his ear saying "son you're gonna shorten your career plating all hard like that" and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the player's union isn't screaming it at him.

Then again, he might have already decided he's gonna be one of those who retires before age 26 anyway. That's happening more and more.

Hate, just HATE seeing that #21 on him.

Reaction score
Re: last paragraph, I disagree. I don't think we're close to anything this year.

2014 was a fluke.

This team is trying to get to 8-8, and that's what I expect.

Romo is going to go down this year, and as good as Dak has looked, this team goes as Romo goes.

For all the talk of how idiot Garrett had to spend the first few years building a roster, no. But this team is just now being built. With Jones, Collins, Tyron, Elliott, Martin, Dez, and Beasley - we finally have a talented core of young players to build around. Hopefully Dak keeps it up and proves to be the next guy. But let's keep our draft picks and continue to build the roster and hope Garrett gets shit canned and we get a competent coach to lead this talent while it's still young.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Nobody wants it to happen, but there's a chance Romo could get Wally Pipped if he gets hurt during the regular season and has to miss more than a game or two. Once he gets in there, Prescott may be there for 10+ yrs.

No knock on Romo when I say this because I would love for him to get a super bowl win as a Cowboy but if I can dream then the best thing for the team is if Romo did get Wally pipped but played enough this year to enable the Cowboys to trade him in the off season.

I just wish the Cowboys had an organization and staff I felt I could trust enough to make the correct decision in this regard like Seattle did when Flynn was slated to be the starting QB but then they let Wilson take over as a rookie and ended up releasing Flynn.

Does anyone think the Cowboys' organization and staff would ever make this call? They'd let Flynn crash and burn before they ever gave it any serious consideration and that's what I think will happen with Romo even if its clear at some point that Dak should takeover.

Now I dont think Dak is ready and he's surely going to come back to earth but then again, Wilson hasn't and as far as I can tell, he's only gotten better and even managed to get a super bowl win in his second year. The Cowboys dont have the D Seattle does but they do have a very QB friendly line, RB & Receiver so if Dak is the real deal, they may be better off saving Romos cap hit (if thats even possible) by trading him and picking up some draft picks and key defensive players in the process.

It sure would be nice to get Dak playing at a high level for a couple of years while he's still on his rookie contract so they can spread the cap $$ to other key players.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Witten's a big guy and a HOFamer. I see nothing wrong with that pass to him. That's how you're supposed to throw to bigger receivers so that they use their big bodies to shield the defender from the ball. Granted it was thrown a little more towards the defender, but still.

Rather have a QB who takes some shots as opposed to a checkdown Steven McGee.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Swaim is a good looking player. Could be a Cameron Jordan type. Burst out of nowhere for a season or two.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
No knock on Romo when I say this because I would love for him to get a super bowl win as a Cowboy but if I can dream then the best thing for the team is if Romo did get Wally pipped but played enough this year to enable the Cowboys to trade him in the off season.

I just wish the Cowboys had an organization and staff I felt I could trust enough to make the correct decision in this regard like Seattle did when Flynn was slated to be the starting QB but then they let Wilson take over as a rookie and ended up releasing Flynn.

Does anyone think the Cowboys' organization and staff would ever make this call? They'd let Flynn crash and burn before they ever gave it any serious consideration and that's what I think will happen with Romo even if its clear at some point that Dak should takeover.

Now I dont think Dak is ready and he's surely going to come back to earth but then again, Wilson hasn't and as far as I can tell, he's only gotten better and even managed to get a super bowl win in his second year. The Cowboys dont have the D Seattle does but they do have a very QB friendly line, RB & Receiver so if Dak is the real deal, they may be better off saving Romos cap hit (if thats even possible) by trading him and picking up some draft picks and key defensive players in the process.

It sure would be nice to get Dak playing at a high level for a couple of years while he's still on his rookie contract so they can spread the cap $$ to other key players.

From my understanding they can't cut or trade Romo this year or next year. The cap hit would be too big. The earliest they can do it is 2018.

I don't see anyway Garrett benches Romo this year. Where it will get interesting is if Romo goes down for several games (especially late in the season) and Dak comes in and lights it up. Then Romo comes back just before the start of the playoffs. Would Garrett keep a healthy Romo on the bench? I'm not certain that he would regardless of how well Dak is playing.

The biggest differences between Romo's situation and Matt Flynn's is Romo has already been on this team for over a decade. They're emotionally invested in Romo, Seattle wasn't in Flynn. Also Romo's cap hit is much more than what Flynn's was. I do think though that Dak has every bit the potential to be as good as Wilson.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
From my understanding they can't cut or trade Romo this year or next year. The cap hit would be too big. The earliest they can do it is 2018.

I don't see anyway Garrett benches Romo this year. Where it will get interesting is if Romo goes down for several games (especially late in the season) and Dak comes in and lights it up. Then Romo comes back just before the start of the playoffs. Would Garrett keep a healthy Romo on the bench? I'm not certain that he would regardless of how well Dak is playing.

The biggest differences between Romo's situation and Matt Flynn's is Romo has already been on this team for over a decade. They're emotionally invested in Romo, Seattle wasn't in Flynn. Also Romo's cap hit is much more than what Flynn's was. I do think though that Dak has every bit the potential to be as good as Wilson.

It really pisses me off how they back themselves into a corner with certain players where they have no leverage or flexibility. Should the miracle happen and Dak comes in for an injured Romo this year and lights it up, it would be nice if they had the option of trading Romo and save some cap space. I realize thats a longshot but its nice to have it as an option.

Good point about the Flynn example, its not the same here at all but even if it was, my point is it feels like the Cowboys lock in to certain players, like they have tenure and nothing short of an injury will cause them to think of other options.

Dak is only starting this year if when Romo gets injured, so a Brady situation is a more apt comparison

burmafrd

Spectator
Reaction score
It really pisses me off how they back themselves into a corner with certain players where they have no leverage or flexibility. Should the miracle happen and Dak comes in for an injured Romo this year and lights it up, it would be nice if they had the option of trading Romo and save some cap space. I realize thats a longshot but its nice to have it as an option.

Good point about the Flynn example, its not the same here at all but even if it was, my point is it feels like the Cowboys lock in to certain players, like they have tenure and nothing short of an injury will cause them to think of other options.

Dak is only starting this year if when Romo gets injured, so a Brady situation is a more apt comparison

some gomers here have such short memories. The Boys had no choice when romo's contract came up. NONE AT ALL. anyone thinking otherwise is a moron. We actuallly have a decent deal as regards Romo now compared to some of the recent contracts.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
some gomers here have such short memories. The Boys had no choice when romo's contract came up. NONE AT ALL. anyone thinking otherwise is a moron. We actuallly have a decent deal as regards Romo now compared to some of the recent contracts.

I'm referring to the cap management, bonus restructuring that kills the ability to trade certain players. IIUC, the reason it would be difficult to trade Romo is the way the contract is structured and bonuses already paid would accelerate a huge cap hit.

If a team felt he was healthy enough to trade for, I don't think his actual salary would be a problem

burmafrd

Spectator
Reaction score
I'm referring to the cap management, bonus restructuring that kills the ability to trade certain players. IIUC, the reason it would be difficult to trade Romo is the way the contract is structured and bonuses already paid would accelerate a huge cap hit.

If a team felt he was healthy enough to trade for, I don't think his actual salary would be a problem

and as dandy don used to say, IF ifs and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a merry christmas, Get over it and stop whining.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Re: last paragraph, I disagree. I don't think we're close to anything this year.

2014 was a fluke.

This team is trying to get to 8-8, and that's what I expect.

Romo is going to go down this year, and as good as Dak has looked, this team goes as Romo goes.

For all the talk of how idiot Garrett had to spend the first few years building a roster, no. But this team is just now being built. With Jones, Collins, Tyron, Elliott, Martin, Dez, and Beasley - we finally have a talented core of young players to build around. Hopefully Dak keeps it up and proves to be the next guy. But let's keep our draft picks and continue to build the roster and hope Garrett gets shit canned and we get a competent coach to lead this talent while it's still young.

They're going to score points like crazy. We need a pass rusher. Get one and this team could be pretty good and a real contender.

There's definitely more talent on this team than the 2014 team.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
There's definitely more talent on this team than the 2014 team.

La'el Collins > Ron Leary
Ezekiel Elliott (rookie) maybe = 2014 DeMarco Murray, more realistically he's not as good, at least not yet

Reaction score
We are not going to score points like crazy.

We will be as good as that 2014 offense was, assuming Romo stays healthy.

Reaction score
Ezekiel Elliott (rookie) maybe = 2014 DeMarco Murray, more realistically he's not as good, at least not yet

That's an interesting take on Elliott vs. Murray.

I'm thinking that Alfred Morris maybe = 2014 Murray.

To me, Elliott is clearly superior to 2014 Murray in terms of raw talent. No way to rate durability at this point, though.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Tyron Smith, Fred and Z Martin have all gotten better.

Lawrence is a good player, he had a washout rookie yr. We didn't have Lee that yr. we didn't have Byron Jones. Nick Hayden isn't on this team and both guys replacing him are far better.

LOL about Murray to Zeke

Top Bottom