bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Gosselin: Right now, I'd lean toward starting Alfred Morris over Ezekiel Elliott at RB for Cowboys

1471907906-NS_19game2.jpg

Question: Does watching Alfred Morris do what he's done this preseason make you question the Cowboys' selection of Ezekiel Elliott in the draft even more?

Gosselin: I really liked Morris when they signed him and was kind of surprised they felt that strongly about Elliott on the clock with Morris already on the roster. From what I've seen in the first two preseason games, I'd lean toward starting Morris. Make Elliott earn the position.

Question: Does it matter that Ezekiel Elliott is missing out on preseason touches?

Gosselin: Yes. It's a big step from college to the NFL. The players are bigger, the game is faster and the hits are harder. I'd want Elliott to get a feel for all that in August so he knows what's coming in September. There are three speeds in the NFL -- August speed, regular-season speed and playoff speed. He hasn't even seen the first speed yet. He also has to show his coaches he can stay healthy through the contact at this point.

Question: "Rookie Dak Prescott -- Dallas Cowboys backup quarterback." Are you buying in?

Gosselin: For now, yes. The goal is to keep Romo healthy, obviously, for 16 weeks and let Prescott learn by watching both on the field and in the film room. After watching the last two weeks, I'd rather go with Prescott than give up a mid-round pick for a veteran backup. I would like to see him against Seattle's first-team defense, however.

Reaction score
Too much hype for Elliott. Jerry has to sell those jerseys.

But I agree with Goose. Morris has looked damn good and EE has literally done nothing so far. Doesn't deserve to just be handed the starting spot.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I agree with making him earning it. It's not like it's going to take him a long time to show people he's the superior talent. I've said this before but when all is said and done I'd like to see Morris used as a closer. If they get into the 4th quarter with a sizable lead he's the perfect type of runner to use to eat up the clock. Zeke would obviously dominate 1st thru 3rd quarters.

Reaction score
This isn't complicated.

Do what you need to do to get Zeke up to speed and don't wear him down too early.

You've got some depth at RB. Use it.

Reaction score
Nate Newton was on ESPN Dallas last night with DJ whatever his name is on the Fitsimmons and Durrett show I think. He was going on and on about how electrifying Dunbar is, how he needs to be on the team. He said "Reverend Al" (Alfred Morris) and Elliot are the main two RBs and then Dunbar. He said that Jackson is very good and has great skills but should go on the practice squad unless he can make special teams plays. The host "DJ" said that a team like the Patriots or Washington would grab him off the PS. Newton didn't seem to get it, that Dunbar really hasn't done anything other than flash and get injured. Newton then gave all kinds of praise to "George" (Geoff) Swaim as Prescott's security blanket.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I have to say, I really hope Morris has some success this year. I've read a bit about him, and he seems like a great dude. Too bad I hated his ass when he was a Redskin. But yeah, I'm rooting for him to get the bulk of the load this year.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
his stats have been going down, but there's no reason why he can't be a viable complementary back for one or two years

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Nate Newton was on ESPN Dallas last night with DJ whatever his name is on the Fitsimmons and Durrett show I think. He was going on and on about how electrifying Dunbar is, how he needs to be on the team. He said "Reverend Al" (Alfred Morris) and Elliot are the main two RBs and then Dunbar. He said that Jackson is very good and has great skills but should go on the practice squad unless he can make special teams plays. The host "DJ" said that a team like the Patriots or Washington would grab him off the PS. Newton didn't seem to get it, that Dunbar really hasn't done anything other than flash and get injured. Newton then gave all kinds of praise to "George" (Geoff) Swaim as Prescott's security blanket.

Jackson will never make it to the PS

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Jackson will never make it to the PS

Nope, he sure won't. If they keep Dunbar it will be at the expense of a FB. I don't think this team should ever depend on Dunbar but if it came down to Dunbar or Rod Smith is be ok with going with Dunbar. And Rod Smith has a better chance of making the PS than Jackson does. Jackson will be the 3rd RB.

I also think they go with 4 TE's and only 2 QB's.

Reaction score
What's the point in keeping McFadden around now? Morris is a better version. Dunbar is great when healthy.

Reaction score
What's the point in keeping McFadden around now? Morris is a better version. Dunbar is great when healthy.

Agree with we shouldn't keep McFadden. Bolded part has me dumbfounded. Dunbar has never been great at anything.

For it its EE, Morris, Jackson. Cut/trade the rest.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
None, there's no reason to keep McFadden.

seems like a cheap back-up if they can afford the roster spot. You know they're going to lose someone, we just don't know who and at what positions yet

Reaction score
Alive. I just needed a break from Garrett.

Also, I seem to recall Dunbar getting me good fantasy points one week. That's the extent of proof I have for my "great" comment.

Good to be back to deliver the facts. :awkward

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Agree with we shouldn't keep McFadden. Bolded part has me dumbfounded. Dunbar has never been great at anything.

For it its EE, Morris, Jackson. Cut/trade the rest.

That's my line of thinking

Try and get some D for them

Reaction score
Yeah I retract my previous statement. EE deserves to start. He's THAT good.

But Morris should get a lot of touches.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah I retract my previous statement. EE deserves to start. He's THAT good.

But Morris should get a lot of touches.

I think he will and he deserves it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting both guys 200+ carries. I think the difference is though EE has the chance to be truly special and make a number of game changing plays. He's also a potential game changer as a receiver out of the backfield.

We'll get trade offers for Morris I bet, and I hope we turn them all down unless its something just ridiculous or its for a legit quality pass rusher.

Top Bottom