Reaction score
Jerry Jones must really be losing sleep now over failure to get Paxton Lynch
By David Moore

A collection of observations, random thoughts and opinions about the upcoming day at Cowboys training camp:
Jerry Jones found it difficult to sleep in the hours after the first round of the NFL draft.

It's safe to say he's spent a restless night or two here in Oxnard as well.

As the pursuit of a backup quarterback continues -- Nick Foles off the market, sights now set on Cleveland's Josh McCown -- does anyone doubt that the Cowboys owner is still kicking himself over what didn't happen three months ago?

Paxton Lynch was the target. The Cowboys offered their second and third round pick to move back into the first round to take the Memphis quarterback at No. 26. They lost that race to Denver.

Jones went to bed at 3 o'clock the next morning and awoke three hours later. He told the first six people he saw that he didn't do enough for Lynch. He was upset.

"I have overpaid for my big successes every time,'' Jones said a few hours later. "I probably should have overpaid here.''
Now, Jones must overpay to pry McCown away from the Browns. He's 37.

Lynch is 22. While he has yet to play in an NFL game, all agree he's more prepared to do so than rookie Dak Prescott, who, for the moment, is the Cowboys backup quarterback.

Another flashback to the draft: When the fourth round got underway the club was prepared to take Connor Cook at No. 101. The Cowboys had a higher grade on the Michigan State quarterback than Prescott because of his background in a pro-style offense.

So did Oakland and Chicago. Both clubs were talking to Cleveland to jump one spot ahead of Dallas to draft Cook. The Cowboys knew what was happening and also spoke to the Browns about a trade.

Oakland made the best offer. The Cowboys stayed put and took Oklahoma defensive end Charles Tapper with the next pick. Prescott was taken at No. 135, five picks before the end of the fourth round.

"We looked at Cook," executive vice president Stephen Jones admitted after the draft. "He was the higher-graded guy at the end of the day, but we actually think there may be a little more upside in Dak."

And one final thought: why would Cleveland be willing to part with McCown at the moment given Robert Griffin's (RG3) injury history and the Browns inexperience at the position behind McCown?

Yes, you can bet Jerry Jones would be sleeping much better now if he had landed Paxton Lynch in the draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah this failure to get Paxton Lynch may end up being one of those that we bang our heads over for a decade.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yeah this failure to get Paxton Lynch may end up being one of those that we bang our heads over for a decade.

No kidding. I think also will cause knee jerk Jerry to go hard after a QB in the 1st round next draft. He's going to be blinded by the desire to attempt to correct this mistake.

Reaction score
I'm sure Jerry is screaming in his pillow, and looking at the man in the mirror over this... err... no. He isn't, and probably doesn't give two shits. His job is safe.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
- Most valuable sports franchise

- Three of the top five jerseys sold

- Non-confrontational subservient HC in place

Jerry is sleeping like a baby.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jerry doesn't really love winning like he claims. If he did, he'd do whatever it took to win, especially after experiencing the ultimate success early on in his career as a owner. He is the biggest obstacle in the success of the Cowboys. Apple, Nike, and Ford are all successful corporations. An NFL team's success is measured by Super Bowl wins. Jerry only cares about money and people have to stop pretending otherwise.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score

You forgot:

- Plenty of Johnny Walker Blue in the hours before bed.

Nothing bothers this piece of shit, he sleeps like a baby.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

- Denzel Washington parades around training camp and addresses team

fify

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry doesn't really love winning like he claims. If he did, he'd do whatever it took to win, especially after experiencing the ultimate success early on in his career as a owner. He is the biggest obstacle in the success of the Cowboys. Apple, Nike, and Ford are all successful corporations. An NFL team's success is measured by Super Bowl wins. Jerry only cares about money and people have to stop pretending otherwise.

Like I said in another thread, I think he does care about winning but only if he is the one calling the shots when the winning happens. He wouldn't want it to be anyone else (like Jimmy) where the credit would be deflected from him.

Even if it took him 50 years, if he just somehow won 1 Superbowl with him being the GM and doing things his idiotic way he'd see that as "success"

Reaction score
I hope Paxton Lynch gets OROY and is a stud QB for years and Jerry has to live with that every day until his miserable life ends

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I hope Paxton Lynch gets OROY and is a stud QB for years and Jerry has to live with that every day until his miserable life ends

If that happens you can bank on jeri chasing this loss like a degenerate gambler flushing all his money down the toilet in an effort to get even. He'll end up punting draft picks til the day he dies

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If that happens you can bank on jeri chasing this loss like a degenerate gambler flushing all his money down the toilet in an effort to get even. He'll end up punting draft picks til the day he dies

That's exactly my thoughts too. If Lynch wins OROY Jerry might actually trade our entire draft to draft the QB he wants, just so he doesn't look bad for missing out on Lynch.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Thank God I didn't disgrace myself in this thread .. like some people.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I’ll be banging my head for the next decade for not drafting Paxton Lynch.

e5ba56c27c09322084ac9e00fb24044c.gif

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Some of the best trades are the ones that DONT get made. This was one of them.

Andre Wadsworth in 1998 was another. They were going to trade our 1st and 2nd that yr (ended up being Greg Ellis and Flozelle Adams) as well as 1999 1st rounder (ended up being Ekuban) to the Cardinals for their pick. The Cards turned it down and I cant remember if it was their owner or GM who said "did people think we were just going to hand Dallas the Super Bowl?" At the time of the draft, Wadsworth was considered almost a Reggie White type prospect. Of course he ended up being a huge bust, and Ellis and Adams were high quality long term starters here.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Some of the best trades are the ones that DONT get made. This was one of them.

Andre Wadsworth in 1998 was another. They were going to trade our 1st and 2nd that yr (ended up being Greg Ellis and Flozelle Adams) as well as 1999 1st rounder (ended up being Ekuban) to the Cardinals for their pick. The Cards turned it down and I cant remember if it was their owner or GM who said "did people think we were just going to hand Dallas the Super Bowl?" At the time of the draft, Wadsworth was considered almost a Reggie White type prospect. Of course he ended up being a huge bust, and Ellis and Adams were high quality long term starters here.

Jerry has a severe hard on for finding “the next Charles Haley”. He had the same hard on for “the next Novacek” too. That’s how we went up with Shante Carver, Kavika Pittman, and David LaFleur.

Top Bottom