dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Good grief:

Jerry Jones is disappointed, but still proud of Rolando McClain

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 17, 2016, 6:43 AM EDT

Amid reports that the Cowboys’ coaches want to get rid of Rolando McClain, owner and G.M. Jerry Jones is standing by the troubled linebacker.

Jones acknowledged that he’s not happy that McClain got suspended for the first 10 games of the season for a violation of the league’s substance abuse policy, but that isn’t going to make Jones cut McClain.

“Disappointed is the word,” Jones told the Star-Telegram. “It is a recognition that these dependency issues are a difficult thing to address. We are proud of everything that we’ve gotten from Rolando. His aptitude as a football player is almost unsurpassed as one of the best that I’ve seen. We all say it’s such a waste, but with us, knowing him, we’ve got the best that he’s done in pro football.”

Jones gave McClain a $750,000 signing bonus on a new one-year contract in March, and Jones doesn’t want to cut McClain now.

“The main thing is strategically, [financially], it’s not good for us,” Jones said, “and he doesn’t take up an active spot on the roster [during the suspension].”

So even though the Cowboys’ coaches were reportedly furious that McClain skipped Organized Team Activities this offseason, Jones isn’t planning to cut McClain. And in Dallas, Jones has final say.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I'll be proud of the cirrhosis that finally kills Jerry.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So embarrassing, though not surprising.

I wish some psychologist (Omega?) would figure out why Jerry loves these reclamation projects so much.

Maybe it's just wanting to get a good player for a bargain price, but it seems to go way beyond that to me. If that's all it were, you'd cut guys when they screw up. Jerry almost clings tighter to them when they frick up.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score

I wish some psychologist (Omega?) would figure out why Jerry loves these reclamation projects so much.

Maybe it's just wanting to get a good player for a bargain price, but it seems to go way beyond that to me. If that's all it were, you'd cut guys when they screw up. Jerry almost clings tighter to them when they frick up.

Maybe Jerry realizes what a F U he himself really is and he feels at ease around them.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Its definitely bizarre, but thats the way he's run the franchise for 20+ yrs after Jimmy

Reaction score
Jerry can't die soon enough.

substance dependency? It's fucking weed FFS.

Fuck this teams ownership.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He's never been worth a shit for more than 6 games anyway, no great loss here.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He's never been worth a shit for more than 6 games anyway, no great loss here.

Just shouldn't even waste time with him. The odds he'll be in game shape come week 11 are slim and none anyway. Just get rid of him and use his camp spot on someone who can actually help for all 16 games.

Reaction score
Jerry Jones: Cowboys coaches lobbied to keep Rolando McClain on the team
By SportsDayDFW.com

Jerry Jones said that support for Cowboys linebacker Rolando McClain remained at the start of the offseason, even as he was missing early workouts.

In an interview with 105.3 The Fan on Tuesday, Jones said that the coaching staff lobbied to keep McClain around this offseason.

"Everybody lobbied to have McClain on the team. Every coach that's associated with the team lobbied for that," Jones said. "To be fair to everybody concerned, we didn't know that he was going to get suspended. But his issues were potentially recognized, maybe not to the extent that he would lose the games that he got in this suspension."

"But make no mistake about it: With all of his warts, he still considered a potential asset for the team by the coaches."
Jones was also asked about the effect McClain's 10-game suspension — coming just a year after another NFL drug policy violation netted him a four-game suspension — added to his missing workouts, affects the Cowboys' chemistry.

"Certainly he has very much respect as to what he can bring to the team. On the other hand, the way things worked this spring, his conditioning, the way it worked as far as letting his teammates down, all of that is frustrating for everybody involved," Jones told the station. "No one any moreso or any less than his teammates. All of that's in consideration, but as far as him being around and involved in any way impacting the team during the year, that won't be an issue."

At Monday's news conference for the Canelo Alvarez-Liam Smith fight at AT&T Stadium, Jones explained that keeping McClain on the roster makes financial sense.

"There's some paperwork issues that are involved that impact the team, like salary cap," Jerry Jones said. "We've made a final decision that we don't want to pay the price on the cap."

Reaction score

Jerry functions almost exclusively on the principle of intermittent reinforcement. If you put a 100 quarters in a slot machine and lose every try but on the 101st pull, the slot machine wins him 25 quarters, Jerrys interest in continuing to play the slot for 250 more losses undaunted is improved by just that tiny illogical win. Fishing, gambling, high stakes investing and existentialism is based on such cognitive scheme.

But such behavior is hard to thwart or reduce even with negative results more probable than not if the individual has the means not to be affected by the consequence or the belief system is so distorted that the results are rationalized.

As far as how he continues to steer and navigate a sinking ship...

Cognitive Dissonance reduction. The tension resulting from the combating of two prominent attitudes (1. paying for and justifying a player who might be imperative on a deficient defense vs 2. Allowing a rogue player to challenge the authority and respect for any hierarchy of subordination of an employer to employee.)
During such conflicts the tension is reduced by building up or pushing down. Jerry builds the player thus converging the hope for the output of the player will eventually draw up the players respect for the employer, coach and/or team.

Just my .02 quick Dx.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
again, the fish rots from the head down. if you have ability, we'll put up with almost anything, all the while sermonizing about "character." fuck off.

Reaction score
Midswat gives props to a few posts in this thread but that option isn't available on the mobile so you'll just have to guess which ones.

Top Bottom