Reaction score
Gosselin: Why are the Cowboys even holding on to Rolando McClain? Easy; they're desperate on defense
By SportsDayDFW.com

Rick Gosselin recently joined SportsDay DFW's "Ballzy" podcast with Kevin Sherrington and Barry Horn to talk all things Dallas Cowboys. Here are some of the highlights.

Will Jason Garrett ever say enough is enough?

Kevin Sherrington: [Jason Garrett] talks about having the right guys. He should never have said that. Time after time, as you just mentioned going down the list of guys who are not the right guys.

Barry Horn: What does that tell you? It tells you he's not the decision-maker on the roster.

Kevin Sherrington: But I don't know how much of that is him too. At what point does Jason Garrett say, "I can't win with this team?"

Barry Horn: I'll tell you at what point. When the paychecks stop coming.

Kevin Sherrington: I guess. I would think at some point he has to say [something]. ... At what point does Jason Garret say, "Listen, we're going to have to do this my way or I'm going to go someplace else"?

Barry Horn: Here's the deal. Goose, [if] Jason Garrett left the Cowboys tomorrow, could he get another NFL head coaching job?

Rick Gosselin: No. He'd have to go back to being a coordinator somewhere. One of the things you guys haven't touched upon. Look at this defense. There's a desperation aspect to keeping Rolando McClain. They lack playmakers. The guy does make some plays. That's why you put up with DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory. This defense needs help. On paper heading into next season, they have 12 1/2 sacks. It's going to take you 43 to be a Super Bowl contender. Now where are they going to come up with 30 sacks in the next five months? ... The point is that McClain is one of the few guys, Gregory, Lawrence, they need these guys. This is a shell of an NFL defense without those three players with or without their baggage. They need those three guys on the field, which is why you put up with them.

Is it time to sever ties with McClain?
Barry Horn: Would you cut McClain right now, Goose?

Rick Gosselin: I'd cut McClain. I think they'd stick with the other two kids, but I'd say goodbye to McClain. It's two years in a row now. It's time to move on.

Kevin Sherrington: I don't know why they haven't already done that. Why wouldn't you already do that?

Rick Gosselin: They're desperate. Look at this defense. This is a subpar defense. They're going to have to be like the Barry Switzer Sooners [and] control the ball 45 minutes a game to win with this group.

Can't see the poll? Tap here to vote on a mobile device to vote on if you'd cut McClain or not.
Why the Cowboys' draft made no sense to Goose

Kevin Sherrington: They could use that second-round draft pick couldn't they?

Barry Horn: Oh, Jaylon Smith.

Rick Gosselin: Ouch.

Kevin Sherrington: Oh, that's right. He's not playing this year. Right. I forgot.

Rick Gosselin: That was puzzling.

Barry Horn: Doesn't that go back to gambler Jerry? You're theoretically getting a guy who might have been a top 10 in the second round? Let's take a chance on that?

Rick Gosselin: That's what it is. That's what he did with Sean Lee. Bottom line their draft made no sense to me because they came out of the season saying their primary offseason needs are backup quarteback and pass rush. They didn't address either.

Barry Horn: So you're not buying the Zeke Elliott on the field helps the defense?

Rick Gosselin: The best teams in football, the very best teams, control the ball for 33 minutes. The Bears with Walter Payton and the best defense in history controlled the ball for 33 minutes. That's 27 minutes that your defense has got to be on the field. This isn't Walter Payton and this isn't the '85 Bears. If Elliott is everything they hope they're going to control the ball for 32 minutes and their defense will be on the field for 28. At some point you've got to stop somebody.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Barry Horn: Here's the deal. Goose, [if] Jason Garrett left the Cowboys tomorrow, could he get another NFL head coaching job?

Rick Gosselin: No. He'd have to go back to being a coordinator somewhere.

Could he even get a coordinator job at this point?

Reaction score
Garrett could land a head coaching job at a halfway decent college program. Actually, that might be a good fit for him.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
so we have a GM and head coach who couldn't get similar jobs anywhere else. this team is in the very best of hands.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
College or high school where the kids would respond to his BS is about right. Just anywhere but Dallas.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
so we have a GM and head coach who couldn't get similar jobs anywhere else. this team is in the very best of hands.

We also have a QB coach that couldn't land another job in the NFL if he ever left.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Oh, and let's not forget the director of pro scouting is Jason's brother, and most likely couldn't find work again if he ever left.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
No way he even gets a coordinator position. His offenses have always had trouble scoring points in the redzone, and he was one of the worst play callers ever. We didn't get over the 8-8 hump until they took that away from him.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Garrett could land a head coaching job at a halfway decent college program. Actually, that might be a good fit for him.

I could see him being a head coach at an FCS school that would benefit from a "name".

North Dakota, Montana, Austin Peay, or his Alma mater Princeton.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I would take Lane Kiffin over him.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
hmmm. find a guy who can start all 16 games, or keep a bad apple who can only give you six, assuming he's still in shape in November. gee, that's a toughie.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If we don't have McClain, we don't get payback for all the miscues, losses, and criticism.

Right Jerry?

Reaction score
Could he even get a coordinator job at this point?

I honestly think he'd drop back down to a position coach. Better coaches have been fired and have had to do that.

Garrett has never proven anything.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Okay, let's not get silly now.

for the Cowboys? Both are awful.

for a college team? Kiffin is the better x and o's guy. Kiffin will be D1 head coach in 2017, his stint at Alabama has repaired his image enough.

Reaction score
I could see him being a head coach at an FCS school that would benefit from a "name".

North Dakota, Montana, Austin Peay, or his Alma mater Princeton.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I would take Lane Kiffin over him.

I also could see Garrett somewhere in the ACC.

Top Bottom