Reaction score
By Charean Williams
cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

IRVING —

Rolando McClain remains a no-show at the Cowboys’ organized team activities. Coach Jason Garrett said McClain continues to deal with a family situation in Alabama.

“We want all of our players here,” coach Jason Garrett said. “Sometimes situations come up where they have to deal with things. In each of those cases, it’s family situations. So we have to be respectful of that. We certainly want our players here. We believe in OTAs. We believe in the offseason program. It’s not a mandatory time, though. It’s a voluntary time. We try to be respectful of the situations they’re dealing with.”

Last week, Garrett had said he expected the starting middle linebacker back to Valley Ranch this week. On Wednesday, Garrett said the Cowboys are “hopeful” McClain returns next week.

McClain’s absence isn’t surprising considering his history.

He retired from football after three seasons in Oakland. After missing the 2013 season, McClain was traded from Baltimore to Dallas and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones talked McClain into returning. McClain missed most of the offseason program in 2015 after knee surgery, rehabbing in Alabama.

The former first-round pick missed the first four games of last season for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

The Cowboys are hoping McClain returns next week.

“Every day in this league is precious to get,” Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said Wednesday. “It’s precious. So much has been cut down, so every day is meaningful.”

McClain signed a one-year deal worth up to $5 million to return to the Cowboys. But the Cowboys drafted Jaylon Smith in the second round, with plans for him to take over the starting job next season.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
A family situation. Right.

Always something with this fucking guy

Yep. The Jaylon Smith era cant start soon enough. Really pulling for this kid. He's the exact opposite of this deadbeat McClain in just about every way.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
A family situation. Right.

Always something with this fucking guy

Wasn't it him in those pics a few weeks back where it looked like he weighed 280 lbs or so? Pretty sure Broaddus and a few others who cover the team said team officials were definitely concerned about his lousy conditioning.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Wasn't it him in those pics a few weeks back where it looked like he weighed 280 lbs or so? Pretty sure Broaddus and a few others who cover the team said team officials were definitely concerned about his lousy conditioning.

Yes, that was him. He's huge. I would not be surprised at all if this fool just retires and never shows up. So who's the starter if he never shows up? Hitchens?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yes, that was him. He's huge. I would not be surprised at all if this fool just retires and never shows up
Or gets popped for another drug positive and is out for the year.

Guy is an absolute bum and the complete opposite of the RKG crap we've heard for half a decade now.

Reaction score
Jason Garrett and Jerry Jones' different views on Rolando McClain

Jon Machota: [Let's talk about] a player who hasn't been here for all three weeks of OTAs and a guy I get the sense from social media that Cowboys fans probably aren't that happy that Rolando McClain hasn't been here. There's no telling if he's going to show up for minicamp. I personally think he will. It is mandatory. He has shown up to minicamp in the past. I definitely get the sense that Jason Garrett's not very happy about this as well. I don't think that Jerry Jones would really voice any anger about something like that, but Jerry definitely he was interesting with his comments on Wednesday. He went on the Ben & Skin Show on 105.3 The Fan. They had a lengthy interview with him. I was particularly interested about what he said about Rolando McClain. What stood out to you Brandon from listening to what Jerry had to say?

Brandon George: The facts are here that really Jason Garrett has said the last couple weeks as Rolando McClain hasn't been here for any of the OTA practices, Garrett has basically explained the situation as Rolando McClain is back in Alabama, which is his home state, and he's dealing with a family situation. Really no one has provided any kind of detailed explanation up until Wednesday when Jerry went on the radio here locally in Dallas-Ft. Worth and went into some details, which Jerry tends to do. He usually peels back the curtain on some of these things. What he jumped into was interesting because Rolando McClain has two sons and the sons are with different women. And these women are both located in Alabama. McClain lives here in Dallas right now. So he doesn't obviously get to see his sons a lot with football season and all the obligations there. So Jerry basically went on the air and said that the Cowboys have basically allowed Rolando McClain to be in Alabama and spend time with both his sons as most of the other players are at Valley Ranch practicing. One thing one was interesting. One quote he had, like Jon said with Ben & Skin on 105.3 The Fan on Wedensday, Jerry Jones said, "[McClain] gets slack, but you have to earn a special consideration and to some degree if you look at how his impact when he's there with us on the field, what he can do for our team. If you look at his background in the NFL, how he's evolved, I'm glad he's a Cowboy." The interesting thing with that quote Jon, he says that Rolando McClain gets slack, first off. Secondly he says you have to earn a special consideration. I don't know that Rolando McClain has earned that special consideration with the Cowboys and throughout his career. If you look at his history, he obviously had retired twice before the Cowboys gave him another chance in the NFL. He had several run-ins with the law off the field. You talk about earning special consideration, when you look at this, I'm a father. I have a son and a daughter. I have a large amount of respect for Rolando wanting to spend time with his sons. I see nothing wrong with that. At the same time I think there's a lot of other players here who would love to spend quality time with their kids. You don't think Jason Witten would want to spend more quality time with his family? I understand Witten's family is in Dallas, but the situation that the Cowboys are allowing Rolando McClain to spend this time with his sons away from the Cowboys it tells you one thing that Jerry is a big family man. We all know that. But it also tells you he also has a great deal of respect for Rolando and their kind of handling Rolando with these kind of kid gloves. They know his history. They don't want to push him too much. They want him involved this year. So they're not going to push him too much to get back.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Last week, Garrett had said he expected the starting middle linebacker back to Valley Ranch this week. On Wednesday, Garrett said the Cowboys are “hopeful” McClain returns next week.

:lol

Expectation turns to hope; hope will become pleading.
Are the young ones still taking note?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if he retires before the start of the season.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
OTA's for veterans are pretty much a joke. Unless there has been a system change or they are new to the team there really is not that much important for them. Especially player on D. Now for QBs working with WRs and such I can see a benefit. But other than that no.

If the guy is ready for camp then I am fine with him missing all the OTA's. Frankly for veterans they are really only a risk of injury- not much else.

Reaction score
Yeah onlyonenow. We talkin bout practice. Practice. Not a game. Not a game. We talkin bout practice.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Bryan Broaddus (@BryanBroaddus)
6/14/16, 8:04 AM
Been told that Rolando McClain has reported for the mandatory 3 Day Mini Camp which begins today at Valley

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Yeah onlyonenow. We talkin bout practice. Practice. Not a game. Not a game. We talkin bout practice.

no we are talking about OTA's

surprised you do not know the difference

But I guess I will have to educate you:

OTA's= in helmets and t shirts playing patty cake
PRACTICE= full pads at full speed

Reaction score
no we are talking about OTA's

surprised you do not know the difference

But I guess I will have to educate you:

OTA's= in helmets and t shirts playing patty cake
PRACTICE= full pads at full speed

So they don't practice during OTAs?