Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
U.S. Court of Appeals reinstates Tom Brady's suspension
Oliver Thomas - 4 hours ago 9
Newsletter

As it stands, Tom Brady will not be joining his teammates when the 2016 regular season kicks off on Sept. 11.

According to Reuters, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit has reinstated the New England Patriots quarterback’s suspension stemming from Deflategate.

A two-thirds decision was the threshold for that to transpire.

Chief Judge Robert Katzmann dissented, while Judge Barrington Parker and Judge Denny Chin sided with the NFL.

The league’s initial discipline was handed down last May, before U.S. District Court Judge Richard Berman vacated Brady’s four-game ban in September prior to the start of the 2015 season.

But this March, both the NFL and the NFL Players Association returned to court, with the former arguing that it was within commissioner Roger Goodell’s right to uphold Brady’s suspension as arbitrator, and that Judge Berman overstepped Goodell’s legal power as detailed under Article 46 of the collective bargaining agreement for “conduct detrimental to the integrity of, or public confidence in, the game of professional football.”

“We hold that the Commissioner properly exercised his broad discretion under the collective bargaining agreement and that his procedural rulings were properly grounded in that agreement and did not deprive Brady of fundamental fairness," the U.S. appeals court stated Monday. “Accordingly, we REVERSE the judgment of the district court and REMAND with instructions to confirm the award.”

Brady is slated to miss the opener against the Arizona Cardinals, as well as matchups with the Miami Dolphins, Houston Texans and Buffalo Bills.

The soon-to-be 39-year-old can return for a 1 p.m. kickoff versus the Cleveland Browns on Oct. 9. But until then, 24-year-old Jimmy Garoppolo is penciled in as New England's starter under center.

Garoppolo, a 2014 second-round pick by way of Eastern Illinois, has appeared in 11 career games to go 20-of-31 passing for 188 yards and one touchdown.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Way to make the week one match up a lot less interesting.

Cardinals vs Patriots was a stout match up. I think the Patriots will still be tough without Brady, if their back up is at least competent. But this is a definite blow.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Belichik seems to be able to coach to a players strengths, I bet they go 2-2 or better

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That's the one thing I have to say about his team, that there is very little drop off in quality of play when a starter is out and the next man up has to step in

Sent from my two thumbs using Tapatalk

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Bradford trying to pout his way out of Philly. hopefully they don't get much for him.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Bradford trying to pout his way out of Philly. hopefully they don't get much for him.

Cowboys will send them the 4th pick and next year's #1.

And that would end me.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This just in.....

Sam Bradford has been placed on IR for the remainder of the season while injuring his hand during a call to his agent to make a statement

Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Bradford to Dallas would pretty much be the worst possible news I could receive

That would be worse than Romo broke his collarbone again masterbating and is out for the season

Top Bottom