Reaction score
I remember being sold on Quentin Jammer, and hating the idea of taking a safety at #6 overall (before the KC trade).

Then I saw this....

Was a huge RW38 fan from that moment on. Well, until he gave up two deep bombs to Santana Moss on MNF in the last five minutes of the game and both times just looked around, hands out palms up, like nothing was ever his fault.

Reaction score
Man he used to be good

Remember watching so many of these plays live when I was a die hard...

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
RW didn't give up those tds to Santana Moss.

And even if he had, you'd have to credit the idiot DC who decided to put RW out there on one of the fastest guys in football.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Roy was a badass. Probably the last guy we've had who actually strikes fear into players. (No, Nutcase McClain doesn't count.)

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Roy was fun to watch. I still love the McNabb INT with the LB blowing up McNabb on the return.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Video doesn't play.

But again, idiot DC decides to put 400 yr old CB on one of most explosive receivers in the game, instead of our top-5 pick CB who was playing great ball then.

Reaction score
Glenn had safety support.... Roy Williams.

Both players let Moss get by them. Twice.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Glenn had safety support.... Roy Williams.

Both players let Moss get by them. Twice.

Newman best CB on team. Newman fastest CB on team. Newman drafted top 5 to be a shutdown CB to take away other teams biggest threats.

Even somebody with your 2.8 IQ should be able to figure out what should have happened Mid.

It was a massive mistake the first time. To do the same fucking thing again shows incredible ignorance on the part of the people running the defense.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
towards the end, it was sad. Shockey and Cooley were running circles around him. I think his last big play was separating Emmitt's shoulder.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
RW clearly lost all desire for the game after that break up with the singer girl (cant remember her name)

He was just never the same after that. Damn shame, because he looked like one of those all world, game changing, once a decade type safeties. I think even Parcells said once he had Hall of Fame type ability (of course he also said he was one biscuit short of being a LB, although I always thought that was somewhat tongue in cheek needling on his part)

Reaction score
Newman best CB on team. Newman fastest CB on team. Newman drafted top 5 to be a shutdown CB to take away other teams biggest threats.

Even somebody with your 2.8 IQ should be able to figure out what should have happened Mid.

It was a massive mistake the first time. To do the same fucking thing again shows incredible ignorance on the part of the people running the defense.

Based on him being a multiple pro bowl player at the time, I can't really fault Zimmer for doubling Santana Moss with Glenn and Roy. He didn't know they'd both fuck up multiple times. And lets be real, it isn't as though Santana Moss is/was Jerry Rice. He wasn't all world by any means. Nor was Terrence Newman all world or even a shut down corner at the time.

It's common practice to put your best corner (Newman) on the #2 receiver and double the best guy.

Reaction score
RW clearly lost all desire for the game after that break up with the singer girl (cant remember her name)

He was just never the same after that. Damn shame, because he looked like one of those all world, game changing, once a decade type safeties. I think even Parcells said once he had Hall of Fame type ability (of course he also said he was one biscuit short of being a LB, although I always thought that was somewhat tongue in cheek needling on his part)

I think theres some truth to him losing desire to play, but I also think the rules changes fucked with his game. Horsetackle rule for example. As well as just his style of safety being phased out of the game due to the passing friendly/defenseless receiver etc. Even today you see teams seeking basically two free safeties for the secondary. In the box safeties aren't sought after anymore.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It's common practice to put your best corner (Newman) on the #2 receiver and double the best guy.

It is, but its more common for your best CB to cover the other teams biggest receiver threat. That's why you draft that guy in that position.

It'd be like us drafting Jalen Ramsey this yr, and him guarding the other teams 4th WR while leaving Brandon Carr on OBJ to get posterized a few more times.

Reaction score
Strategy notwithstanding.... RW still got victimized twice by Santana Moss in obvious situations.

Reaction score
Speaking of safeties getting smoked.... I was at the game where Terry Glenn humiliated Sean Taylor at Texas Stadium. Ran right at him, juked left, Taylor bit... Glenn cut right and caught a deep TD in the corner of the end zone. Was so sweet. Wish I could find the video of it.

Hated Taylor and the ridiculous amount of undeserved praise he got from Redskins fans. Hell even today while looking for the above clip, there's people posting about how Taylor is the GOAT!!!!! Give me a fucking break. RIP tho...

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
all game long they dicked around on offense and sat on the lead. after TD #2, the offense had more than two minutes to get into FG range and couldn't even accomplish that.

Macksfield

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Great video highlights. When RW would hit you, it would literally change the direction of the player. Haha, can you imagine the conversation of the opposing RB and Rec. as they pulled into the stadium on game night. Watching game film had to put fear into them. Unless the opposing coach suggests they just skip the game film for this one.

Top Bottom