Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
After a grueling 8 hour and 46 minute selection meeting on Saturday evening, the Pro Football Hall of Fame has announced the members of their 2016 class. From a candidate pool of 15 modern-era finalists, two senior finalists, and one contributor finalist, the latest edition of the NFL's most elite has been named.

So get the busts ready and plane tickets purchased to Canton, Ohio. Here's who will be enshrined in late summer this year:

Modern-Era Inductees

Brett Favre, Quarterback
Tony Dungy, Coach
Kevin Greene, Linebacker
Marvin Harrison, Wide Receiver
Orlando Pace, Tackle

Senior Finalists Inductees:

Ken Stabler, Quarterback
Dick Stanfel, Guard

Contributor Inductees

Edward DeBartolo, Jr., Owner

Unfortunately, with any selection process, there has to be a few names who didn't make the cut. Here's who will be looking for another chance next year:

Kurt Warner, Quarterback
Morten Anderson, Kicker
Steve Atwater, Safety
Don Coryell, Coach
Terrell Davis, Running Back
Alan Faneca, Guard
Joe Jacoby, Tackle
Edgerrin James, Running Back
John Lynch, Free Safety
Terrell Owens, Wide Receiver

I'm happy to see Farve make it as a first ballot HOFer

I'm a little surprised that Warner and TD didn't make the cut. And I love that a couple Rams greats made it in. But that's probably the homer in me coming out

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I am happy to see Stabler finally get the nod

His stats weren't the best, but he found a way to win games for the Raiders and was fun to watch

Not so much after he left the raiders tho. lol

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I kinda just passed right over him. Why the hell is he getting inducted ?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Position:Linebacker

Career information
College:Auburn
NFL draft:1985 / Round: 5 / Pick: 113
Career history
As player:
Los Angeles Rams (1985–1992)
Pittsburgh Steelers (1993–1995)
Carolina Panthers (1996)
San Francisco 49ers (1997)
Carolina Panthers (1998–1999)
As coach:
Green Bay Packers (2009–2013) (OLB)
Career highlights and awards
As player

5× Pro Bowl (1989, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998)
3× First-Team All-Pro (1989, 1994, 1996)
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
1996 NEA NFL Defensive Player of the Year
1996 UPI NFC Defensive Player of the Year
1996 NFL Alumni NFL Linebacker of the Year
1998 NFLPA NFC Linebacker of the Year
1996 NFLPA NFC Linebacker of the Year
1994 NFLPA AFC Linebacker of the Year
AFC Champion (1995)
Third most career sacks in NFL history
Record 160 Sacks by a Linebacker
Oldest player to lead an NFL season in sacks (1996, age 34, 14.5 sacks)
Most double digit sack seasons 34 years old and beyond (4).
Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee (2016)
As coach

Super Bowl champion (XLV)
Career NFL statistics
Tackles:773
Sacks:160.0
Interceptions:5
Forced fumbles:23
Player stats at NFL.com

Not bad for a fifth round pick

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not sold on Dungy either.

Hank Stram and Bud Grant are in. Not sure that Dungy measures up to them.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man, I hate to say it but the first thing I thought when I saw Dungy was that the HoF committe wanted to induct a black HC. I went back and looked at his coaching record thinking I may have missed something and had it not been for Payton Manning, Dungy would be an afterthought. Those teams ranked better on offense than defense which is where Dungy's expertise was. In addition, he won one SB with one of the most prolific QB's in NFL history. This one is a head scratcher and unless I'm missing something, it just taints the system and the process.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Man, I hate to say it but the first thing I thought when I saw Dungy was that the HoF committe wanted to induct a black HC. I went back and looked at his coaching record thinking I may have missed something and had it not been for Payton Manning, Dungy would be an afterthought. Those teams ranked better on offense than defense which is where Dungy's expertise was. In addition, he won one SB with one of the most prolific QB's in NFL history. This one is a head scratcher and unless I'm missing something, it just taints the system and the process.

Gruden then took one of his teams to a super bowl win the yr after he left (Tampa)

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Just bored,feel free to chime in.

Modern-Era Inductees

Brett Favre, Quarterback-Not my favorite anything,and the last five years of his career I never got so tired of a guy being proclaimed the GOAT.But he's got the goods so ok then.

Tony Dungy, Coach-What.The.Fuck. Good coach?Yes.Great coach? Well that Tampa Bay squad didn't make it until he went north.HOF? not in my opinion

Kevin Greene, Linebacker-Not sure how he rates as a pure linebacker,but a terror rushing the passer.

Marvin Harrison, Wide Receiver-Meh

Orlando Pace, Tackle-Hard to judge OL but he's a beast no doubt,so why not.

Senior Finalists Inductees:

Ken Stabler, Quarterback-Pretty sure when Stabler played one of trainers was assigned Ken's flask,one hitter and amphetamines.But damn he was fun to watch and would literally try anything to win a game.

Dick Stanfel, Guard-???? so why not?

Contributor Inductees

Edward DeBartolo, Jr., Owner-Inevitable

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I agree 100%
But I'd say that the players that have not been voted in over the years taint the process even further. Simply because the player was an asshole and hated the media and treated the media like shit they (the HOF voters aka the media) refuse to vote a great player in. Look at how long it took them to vote in Charles Hailey. He is the only player in NFL History with FIVE rings and he had to wait many years to be voted in. Same with Tim Brown

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Harvey Martin, Drew Pearson, Cliff Harris, Charlie Waters, Darren Woodson

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Harvey Martin, Drew Pearson, Cliff Harris, Charlie Waters, Darren Woodson

Yep
The list goes on and on

I just used last years examples because they were long over due and finally got in

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Honestly its why I have no real desire to go see it, because its such a joke about the whole election process.

When average to above average players from three or four franchises consistently get in at the expense of more deserving guys from other teams, its a joke.

Top Bottom