Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
WTF
he says he will wait four weeks before he decides to have the surgery to insert a metal plate to strengthen his clavicle. So that puts him in The beginning of March. Then if he does go forward with the surgery it will take 6-8 weeks to heal. That means it will be early to mid May before he is healed up enough to work out, get in shape, practice and so on. That's assuming everything goes as planned and there are no set backs.

That is cutting it way to close for my liking. He may pull a Greg Hardy and come in out of shape for camp.

I would much rather have him move forward with the surgery ASAP to give him the maximum amount of healing time. That way he can start working out sooner and be sure to be in shape and 100% ready to go for OTA's

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I assume he doesn't want surgery unless he absolutely has to have it. Which makes sense.

What I find funny is how we refused to put him on IR the second time he broke it because he might be able to return to the playoffs. What a joke that turned out to be. Wonder if they were really that misguided about the medical prognosis or if it was all marketing BS to keep fans interested.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just see his decision to wait somehow coming back to haunt us next season

I understand not wanting surgery. I mean who does? But if it will strengthen the area and greatly lesson the chance of breaking it a third time then I think you have to do it. Had he of only broken it once then I'd be inclined to say no. But after breaking it a second time in one season I say he has no choice. And isn't this his third break in that area already? Or was the other one on the other side?

Each consecutive break makes that area more prone to breaking again

Iamtdg

Reaction score
This is dumb. What is the advantage of waiting? Get that shit over with so you can start healing.

Reaction score
I hope he doesn't get it and gets reinjured. Time to move on from the gutless loser.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
some gomers here fail to understand that they HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS.

Tony has to think about this and make the right decision and OH BY THE WAY IT IS HIS DECSISION.

Time frame is fine; total BS being worried since camp does not start until July.

Some here just have to whine and act like 6 year old spoiled brats.

Iamtdg

Reaction score

Tony has to think about this and make the right decision and OH BY THE WAY IT IS HIS DECSISION.

Time frame is fine; total BS being worried since camp does not start until July.

Exactly who the fuck are you?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

You are correct in that it's his decision and it has nothing to do with any of us.

But this is in fact a Dallas Cowboy discussion board and we are all here to discuss the Dallas Cowboys

Considering Romo's two broken clavicles last season is the main contributing factor to our worst season since Jerry took over as owner I would say his injury history, and possibility for future injury are a relevant topic.

For anyone to say different is plain ignorant

I for one do not want to sit thru another 4-12 season simply because Romo gets injured again

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I assume he doesn't want surgery unless he absolutely has to have it. Which makes sense.

What I find funny is how we refused to put him on IR the second time he broke it because he might be able to return to the playoffs. What a joke that turned out to be. Wonder if they were really that misguided about the medical prognosis or if it was all marketing BS to keep fans interested.

Could be some of both, although they could have been going by what he himself was saying. That he thought he could potentially recover and get out there.

After what we saw vs Miami and Carolina though, putting him back out there for the playoffs would have been amazingly stupid on our behalf. Have respect for the guy trying to gut it out and help the team, but in the end it wasnt helping the team. Good coaches with real leadership ability make those kinds of decisions. Instead we get what we saw earlier on this.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

its merely the byproduct of the owners wildcatting mentality that permeates the organization and makes the chances of consistent success tantamount to that of a professional lottery player

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is just further enhancing the idea that we HAVE to start preparing for life without Romo. Signing a clown like Manziel or a drama queen like RGIII is NOT a long term plan.

Drafting the eventual successor in April should be the plan.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
What concerns me and should well concern Tony is if that thing breaks again anyway after this bracing, you are now possibly dealing with screws ripped out of bone, you're greatly complicating such a break. And there's nothing to stop it from breaking again anyway, at a weaker point than where the brace is. I really don't think it's a good idea in any event.

Reaction score
This is just further enhancing the idea that we HAVE to start preparing for life without Romo. Signing a clown like Manziel or a drama queen like RGIII is NOT a long term plan.

Drafting the eventual successor in April should be the plan.

Leverage? Is it "I will wait and see if you draft my successor before I contemplate time frames and surgeries" or is he looking for something guaranteed that is "delaying" his decision?

Cowboysrock55

Spectator
Reaction score
What concerns me and should well concern Tony is if that thing breaks again anyway after this bracing, you are now possibly dealing with screws ripped out of bone, you're greatly complicating such a break. And there's nothing to stop it from breaking again anyway, at a weaker point than where the brace is. I really don't think it's a good idea in any event.

My understanding is that by putting the plate in there it basically makes it highly unlikely it breaks again. Considering he has already broken that clavicle 3 times in a very short period of time I'd say he needs to have something done otherwise he may just need to hang his boots up now.

I don't see what waiting 4 weeks to make a decision does. Either you're going to do the surgery or you aren't. If you are then get it done now. If you aren't then move on. What during those 4 weeks will shape his decision?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
My understanding is that by putting the plate in there it basically makes it highly unlikely it breaks again.
Might not break where the brace is, but sure will break at a weaker point, like where it attaches to the sternum or the shoulder. They can't plate those, or it will immobilize his arm. They are talking about drilling holes in the bone, and screwing a plate to it. If this bone breaks under the plate you're in a world of hurt. If it breaks at a weaker point, you're way more complicated of a injury there than any he's had.
What during those 4 weeks will shape his decision?
The draft maybe? As has already been suggested.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Leverage? Is it "I will wait and see if you draft my successor before I contemplate time frames and surgeries" or is he looking for something guaranteed that is "delaying" his decision?

No
The article stated it would be four weeks, then he makes his decision either way. He wants to have a few more scans to see how it's healing before making the final decision

But either way he said he would make the final determination in four weeks. So it has nothing to do with the draft

Top Bottom