yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The first thing I noticed about Garrett was how quickly he got players on board with his style and they played their asses off for him. All well and good when all there is to go is up (from Wade). But this year a whole bunch of things happened that changed the trajectory of the team and I told myself, I said, “self! as the losses pile on will the team give up on him??” They didn’t. They played hard all the way till the last game. That says a lot. So, if Garrett is learning things on the job, he learns fast and he knows how to get energy out of his players and they seem to love playing for him.... man. If they fired him, he’d go somewhere else and have success. I think Stephen knows that and is standing behind him come hell or high water. Circle the wagons...

~discuss~

Reaction score
I don't get the whole players giving up or not giving up on a coach as being some measuring stick for a coaches ability.

Players rarely... very rarely "give up" on a coach. People point to our loss to Green Bay at the end of Wades tenure, but was that worse than the Saints game in 2012 when they broke the record for first downs? Did the team give up on Garrett then?

Players don't give up in the NFL. Individuals do, perhaps. But not entire units.

So that idea is pure BS.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Ok, yim, where'd you lift this from...

But like Mid said, those Saints and Bears games of a couple of years ago were just as bad as Wade's two games. And that was with Romo.

Also, how hard was the team playing this year when Washington bent us over repeatedly until they started lifting starters?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Fuck that bullshit. That motherfucker couldn't coach his way out of a peewee football league championship. I get so god damn tired of people trying to make excuses for this cherry-faced moron. We went fucking 4-12 with essentially losing one player. 1-11 without that player. 1 and fucking 11!

~flips table and walks out~

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Fuck that bullshit. That motherfucker couldn't coach his way out of a peewee football league championship. I get so god damn tired of people trying to make excuses for this cherry-faced moron. We went fucking 4-12 with essentially losing one player. 1-11 without that player. 1 and fucking 11!

~flips table and walks out~
But he's built an incredible roster since he took over!

And they always play so hard for him!!

Wait, what?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
But he's built an incredible roster since he took over!

And they always play so hard for him!!

Wait, what?

One thing this last season taught us is that Romo has basically been carrying us to 8-8 every year. Without him we are looking at a repeat of Campo's back to back to back 5-11 stretch. That much is so obvious at this point that defending that Jerry-crowned idiot makes the person doing the defending look just as stupid.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I like his brains. He reminds me so much of Landry. And Landry took a lot of heat for a lot of the same reasons Garrett is. To cerebral, too patient, too stick to his guns with his approach... etc etc.

He had been a player with marginal success. He learned coaching from one of the best (Lombardi) and had success coaching with him with the Giants. He was young when he got a head coaching job and struggled his first 7 years in the league. Garrett played for Jimmy Johnson and with Aikman, Emmitt and Irvin and has 2 SB rings, he played his last game with the giants and then coached with Nick Saban at Miami. He was much sought after by teams as a head coach but chose to stay in Dallas. His offenses have always led the league in scoring... Sure, Landry may have had more experience, but they both share the fact that they learned under the VERY best in the game. I wound throw Garrett under the bus just yet.... every coach looks like shit (including Landry for many years) until, they don’t look like shit anymore...

I feel that he only has recently rebuilt the roster so I can’t put judgment yet on how he’s doing... last year just felt like an outlier. But it may be a blessing in disguise not only that the young players got to feel what that felt like (Like 1989) AND they get the 4th pick in the draft at a time when they are putting the final pieces in place on a team that can be pretty good or better...

Iamtdg

Reaction score
I like his brains. He reminds me so much of Landry. And Landry took a lot of heat for a lot of the same reasons Garrett is. To cerebral, too patient, too stick to his guns with his approach... etc etc.

He had been a player with marginal success. He learned coaching from one of the best (Lombardi) and had success coaching with him with the Giants. He was young when he got a head coaching job and struggled his first 7 years in the league. Garrett played for Jimmy Johnson and with Aikman, Emmitt and Irvin and has 2 SB rings, he played his last game with the giants and then coached with Nick Saban at Miami. He was much sought after by teams as a head coach but chose to stay in Dallas. His offenses have always led the league in scoring... Sure, Landry may have had more experience, but they both share the fact that they learned under the VERY best in the game. I wound throw Garrett under the bus just yet.... every coach looks like shit (including Landry for many years) until, they don’t look like shit anymore...

I feel that he only has recently rebuilt the roster so I can’t put judgment yet on how he’s doing... last year just felt like an outlier. But it may be a blessing in disguise not only that the young players got to feel what that felt like (Like 1989) AND they get the 4th pick in the draft at a time when they are putting the final pieces in place on a team that can be pretty good or better...

Anger... rising...

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He's a closet Garrett fan, but I don't think he'd be this bold.

Plus he doesn't write like this, so I think it's copied from somewhere.

Unless he's really drunk.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yim trolling hard...

Good catch TE

These are texts I receive from my buddy who goes through ridiculous mental gymnastics to tell me how all is well with the Cowboys. Love the guy like a brother but my head about explodes as he sends me these commentaries via text (talk about walls of texts).

I like to fuck with him by sending him word for word quotes from people to make him think its something I wrote (usually with a slant critical of the cowboys). Of course he responds with a dissertations explaining how "I've" got it wrong.

Here's this mornings text, this is a quote from Troy Aikman:

This team, for 20 years, really has been so inconsistent. And unless practices change, I don't see that changing any time soon. You look back at last year and 12-4 and get excited about that, but was 12-4 really what this team is or is 8-8? I don't think 4-12 is this year because of the injuries that occurred.

But you've got to do it more than once every seven or eight years before you can say, 'Hey, the things that we're doing are really paying off.' It's been a long history of frustration and up-and-down years, and, for the most part, disappointment.

And I think you've got to be able to look back on something and say, 'OK, we're building something here and these things that we do pay off,' but I haven't seen that, so I don't anticipate any time soon anything being any different from what we've seen the last 20 years.

Here's his response:

I hear ya but you sort of have to give some credit to the fact that it seems things are being done differently the past 4 years. Garrett took a team that was getting old and in decline and losing. He sold ownership on the concept of taking the long view and slowly rebuilding the team with young talent through the draft. Starting with the OL, etc. I have enjoyed the methodical way they have gone about it. Love the OL, like what they are doing with the DL and I like that they are not firing people for a bad season... I think one of things I hate about the NFL is that they don’t give coaches the time to turn things around. It takes time sometimes. Seattle had some good, young talent when the new coach came in and they turned it around - but they also had the luck of drafting a great QB in that first draft. Look - this is what I’ll say.... last year didn’t look right and there were a ton of injuries at critical positions at critical times. They get a draft of high picks and possibly even a young QB... I like that Jerry is staying pat with the staff. They’re working hard. Maybe - juuuuust maybe when Romo went down, they knew it was for the season and did what they could knowing the season was probably lost. Developed some young guys and took their lump.

Here's my response:

After reading some his responses, I decided to fuck with you guys knowing y'all would blow a gasket. Everything in my above posts are cut and pasted directly from his texts.

He's a good dude, I don't know he can be so deliriously optimistic after all these years. He never wavered in 2014 while I was shitting all over them (like I always do, right?) and I think that season will keep him going for another decade or so.

By the way, I'm no closet Garrett fan, Ive been up front about Garrett from day one and haven't deviated from the underlying position that jerri is the ultimate albatross in the org and hoped that perhaps Garrett could work around him. I failed to consider how woefully inexperienced Garrett is not to mention his ridiculous conservatism.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
These positive fans that still jump up and down defending this team must be too damn young to remember that at one time , Super Bowls was the one and only goal in Dallas. Anything else was a failure. Standards have really declined since Jerry the wino and his half wit son became the " football guys" in the front office. I can only hope that the fuzzy headed , ****** grandson will be an improvement when he takes over.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
After reading some his responses, I decided to fuck with you guys knowing y'all would blow a gasket.
Ha! For once I didn't get got! I usually fall hard for this shit, in fact almost every time Mid does it.

Reaction score
Yeah Yim, you got me. I have been formulating a point by point excoriation of your OP. Except for morality, there is nothing similar about Landry and Garrett - even in morality, Landry never used common curse words. To the annual notion that Garrett will go somewhere else and succeed leaving Dallas wishing they never gave him up, there are two factors to consider: generally Coryell offenses do well in their first 2 years until the gametape and tendencies are established (which then shows how the defense actually defines the plays and options of the offense) but more compelling is that Jason does not have a strong operational knowledge of the defense or special teams or especially the most important part of his passing game which is the running game. Having MB3 and DeMarco with Sparano and Callhan, gave success. When he didn't have them he didn't have success. Most HC can coach offense, defense and special teams. They have to be able to call all plays of those below them fail. Jason is still a QB coach/sports Camp Director who is an HC. He prefers his skill position draft picks to be a certain temperament or have college stats that appear productive even though they might be like a Jason White or Eric Crouch or WR Mike Williams or RB Richardson who have good college output but no freaky upside for the pro game. It's like their ceiling is college. Jason wants his skill position free agents to have exposure or training to his system so he asks jerry for Weedens and Cassels who have Norvs training. DMC had Norvs training as well. Getting players from Seattle does not make a team become Seattle. There is no way Jason succeeds anywhere as HC. He could be an OC for a strong defensive team with a no nonsense HC to keep his tendencies for stupid from acting up. But dumb tends to remain dumb.

Last edited:

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah Yim, you got me. I have been formulating a point by point excoriation of your OP. Except for morality, there is nothing similar about Landry and Garrett - even in morality, Landry never used common curse words. To the annual notion that Garrett will go somewhere else and succeed leaving Dallas wishing they never gave him up, there are two factors to consider: generally Coryell offenses do well in their first 2 years until the gametape and tendencies are established (which then shows how the defense actually defines the plays and options of the offense) but more compelling is that Jason does not have a strong operational knowledge of the defense or special teams or especially the most important part of his passing game which is the running game. Having MB3 and DeMarco with Sparano and Callhan, gave success. When he didn't have them he didn't have success. Most HC can coach offense, defense and special teams. They have to be able to call all plays of those below them fail. Jason is still a QB coach/sports Camp Director who is an HC. He prefers his skill position draft picks to be a certain temperament or have college stats that appear productive even though they might be like a Jason White or Eric Crouch or WR Mike Williams or RB Richardson who have good college output but no freaky upside for the pro game. It's like their ceiling is college. Jason wants his skill position free agents to have exposure or training to his system so he asks jerry for Weedens and Cassels who have Norvs training. DMC had Norvs training as well. Getting players from Seattle does not make a team become Seattle. There is no way Jason succeeds anywhere as HC. He could be an OC for a strong defensive team with a no nonsense HC to keep his tendencies for stupid from acting up. But dumb tends to remain dumb.

depressing, I had hope for Garrett and that he could work around jerri but failed to consider how woefully inexperienced he is and if your assessment is correct then we can add scheme futility to the mix as well, sigh....

Last edited:
Top Bottom