dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Along With Jerry Jones, Romo Gives Garrett Strong Vote Of Confidence

Monday, January 04, 2016 3:36 PM CST

By David Helman

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – During the course of his season-ending media session, Tony Romo uttered a soundbite that rings all too true with the Cowboys’ struggles this year.

“I know no one wants to hear anything positive, because when you’re 4-12 there’s not a lot -- because ultimately we’re defined by our record and how we played,” Romo said.

That much is painfully obvious. The Cowboys just finished their worst season since 1989, and they lost 12 of 14 games after Romo broke his collarbone for the first time back on Sept. 20. Positives are hard to come by, and few people will want to hear them.

Having said that, it didn’t stop Romo from giving quite the vote of confidence to Cowboys coach Jason Garrett following a difficult campaign.

“He was really incredible in getting our football team to play consistently at a very, very high level as far as effort, energy, just week to week,” Romo said. “He really has the pulse of the team and it was a great thing to watch.”

Again, that doesn’t amount to a lot when faced with 12 losses on the season. But amid a steady flow of criticisms of Garrett’s coaching job this season, the Cowboys’ competitiveness throughout the season can’t be discounted.

In 12 losses, the Cowboys were outscored by an average of just 11 points – a composite score of 26-15. Despite a stretch that included seven-straight losses at one point, the Cowboys had six losses by just one possession.

“As you lose that many games in a row, it can be very difficult to continue to get great effort by a lot of proud professionals,” Romo said. “I think that Coach Garett just did an incredible job of allowing us to have a chance as the weeks went on through his ability to just motivate, connect and really drive the team in that direction.”

Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones seems to agree with that assessment, as he emphatically ensured Garrett’s job security on Sunday evening following the loss to the Redskins. Jones has long maintained that the Cowboy’s competitiveness, coupled with the unavoidable issue of injuries – particularly to Romo – has helped Garrett’s cause.

“I’ve seen this staff work together in principle, most of them, and I’ve seen them do it and have a lot of success,” Jones said on Sunday night. “There’s no reason if you factor in any creditability at all that injuries hurt us this year, there’s no reason at all not to give this general staff the opportunity to do it again and repeat ’14.”

That statement, coming from the owner and general manager, is more than enough to secure Garrett heading into 2016. But for his part, such a strong vote of confidence coming from Romo speaks loudly in its own right – even if its muted by the disappointed of this past season.

“Like I said, we lost so ultimately nothing was good enough,” Romo said. “But at the same time I thought that it was inspiring just by the way he really held this team together and had the guys fight week in week out regardless of the environment and regardless of the record.”

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't wish injury on Romo, but I wish he'd retire this offseason. He deserves so much better.

No Middie. Not after this. Romo does not deserve better, because he DOESN'T WANT better. He's satisfied with the status quo.

I'm through with him. He will not speak up for himself or his teammates. He knows better than anyone, that this offense is shit, and that it's the reason why he's sustained injuries. What it's going to take Romo? For you to get crippled?

It's time to move on from Romo. I may take back in wishing that he gets hurt, but if he does... aw well. I don't care. He has power enough to change things with this team. If Murray after just ONE SEASON exhibited enough clout to get Kelly fired... what's the excuse for Romo not exercising the same?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Garrett and Romo are either way too buddy buddy, or I suppose its possible that Romo just has poor judgment and truly believes Garrett is a good coach

Reaction score
Yeah, fuck it. Romo will get what he deserves. He'll be Danny white instead of Staubach.

What a loser.

Reaction score
But honestly, you can pretty much flush what players say. Rarely do they speak ill of a coach.

And players loved Campo. Plenty loved Switzer even.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
worthless. Romo practically vacations with Red. they go on road trips, to basketball games, etc. if he wanted Red gone, he'd be gone.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This means nothing to me. Romo said amazing, loving things about Wade too. Romo is a team guy. He's a nice guy. He stops to helps elderly couples change their tires on the highway, and takes homeless people to movies and feeds them. He's not going to say anything but nice things about Garrett.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This means nothing to me. Romo said amazing, loving things about Wade too. Romo is a team guy. He's a nice guy. He stops to helps elderly couples change their tires on the highway, and takes homeless people to movies and feeds them. He's not going to say anything but nice things about Garrett.

Which is what you'd expect any QB to do publicly.

Behind the scenes is what matters, and apparently behind the scenes he isn't saying anything different because I do firmly believe if Romo thought Garrett was a loser or a big part of the problem, he'd say so and Jones would fire him the next day without hesitation.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But.... That doesn't mean he just blows smoke up everyone's ass, saying shit that completely flies in the face of reality. I hear what you're saying and you're right, but here he took it quite a bit further than just not saying anything bad. He's either a complete idiot or just a dishonest shill.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
“He was really incredible in getting our football team to play consistently at a very, very high level as far as effort, energy, just week to week,” Romo said. “He really has the pulse of the team and it was a great thing to watch.”
No, it really wasn't a great thing to watch, Tony.

I had to check the date on this and make sure it wasn't from early 2015, because this makes no sense.

I think it's like we talked about a while ago... He has total control of the offense and can obviously make it work, even if no one else can. So he'd rather things continue on than have someone new come in who might change things up.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess the other possibility is behind the scenes maybe he did go to Stevie and Jerruh, and was told "we owe him too much money, you're stuck with him, so help us out and take the high road"

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is how far things have sunk here.

Now "getting great effort and high energy" is sufficient enough to keep your seat. Winning isn't the primary concern apparently.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Tony runs this offense his way. Why would he want change? Outside of when Payton Manning was running things, no QB in the league probably has more power then Tony does as regards the way the offense runs.

Reaction score
This has to be an utter lie, particularly bc Romo started his career with a real coaching staff.

I agree with the post above though. Romo has the power to change shit if he doesn't want to be Danny White. Plenty of star players get their coaches canned.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I firmly believe that he doesn't want a new coach who would come in, change everything and implement a new offense.

Romo is comfy where he's at with this offense. At this point in his career and so close to retirement he doesn't want to change a thing. He's probably telling Jerry "don't worry about red, just get the right guys around me and I'll get us both a SB ring"

Reaction score
The problem is that he's gotta look at situations like San Francisco and see what a real coach can do for a team.

Harbaugh flushed years of singletary shit away in just one offseason.

Tomsula was a moron but he'd run circles around howdy doody. He was able to win with gabbert so that's not even sarcasm.

Gotta can this ginger fuck.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Garrett and Romo are either way too buddy buddy, or I suppose its possible that Romo just has poor judgment and truly believes Garrett is a good coach

Yeah. That's a problem. You see pics of those two together at Mavs games, at Duke Blue Devil's games. And that disturbed me. The HC is supposed to be an authoritative figure. Distinct boundaries drawn between players and coaches, but with Romo and Garrett they are blurred. You don't see Belicek hanging out with Brady, McCarthy with Rodgers, Brees with Payton, etc.

What if there is a time when Romo is playing so badly and needs to be benched? Do you trust Garrett to do it?

Garrett needs to be fired. And Romo needed to speak up, but all we get is this mealy-mouthed bullshit. Romo doesn't want to see his "friend" get fired.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
But honestly, you can pretty much flush what players say. Rarely do they speak ill of a coach.

And players loved Campo. Plenty loved Switzer even.

I get that. But Romo's and Garrett's relationship is unique among other HCs and player's. Garrett is probably Romo's second best BFF.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Tony runs this offense his way. Why would he want change? Outside of when Payton Manning was running things, no QB in the league probably has more power then Tony does as regards the way the offense runs.

He has to run the offense his way, because that's the only way this offense is going to work. This is what they mean by making the offense more "Romo-friendly", basically what it means is Romo, do whatever the fuck you want because we all know this offense on its own is unworkable. But now that offense is getting him hurt.

Top Bottom