Reaction score
Kramer is called for the false start in the Ice Bowl?

Dave Manders was ruled to have recovered the fumble in Super Bowl 5?

Benny Barnes does not get called for pass interference in Super Bowl 10?

Jackie Smith catches that pass from Staubach in Super Bowl 13?

"The Catch" is overthrown out of bounds?

Deion Sanders is called for pass interference in the 1994-95 NFC Championship?

What could have been with just so few things going our way.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Or rather, "what if" Danny White doesn't choke, coughing up a fumble, two plays later? "What if" Drew Pearson shakes off that horse collar tackle, the play before that?
Or rather, "what if" Landry calls the exact same play again instead of kicking the field goal, since ALL of those Steelers to this day still say we could have run that play ten more times, and none of them yet know who's supposed to cover the TE there.
What could have been with just so few things going our way.
That's pretty much every season. Most things went our way last year and all we got out of it was a fluke 12-4 season.

IF the dog hadn't stopped to shit, he would have caught a rabbit!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
In regards to Jackie Smith's damn play, here's a HOF TE who dropped one of the easiest passes he ever got. I think he was only here because Jay Saldi got hurt. Saldi probably wouldn't have dropped that ball.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Benny Barnes does not get called for pass interference in Super Bowl 10?

SB 13

enjoy!

[video=youtube;VbO2wlxYeWw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbO2wlxYeWw[/video]

They still had 4th down to play with, so you never know.

Deion Sanders is called for pass interference in the 1994-95 NFC Championship?

In all likelihood we score on that drive and cut the deficit to three, but no guarantee of a victory.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
In regards to Jackie Smith's damn play, here's a HOF TE who dropped one of the easiest passes he ever got. I think he was only here because Jay Saldi got hurt. Saldi probably wouldn't have dropped that ball.

Actually that was a special play Jackie came up with and it was only ever intended for him. And HE was our injured TE that day. AND it wasn't one of Roger's better passes either.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The only What If I dream of is What if Hoffa would have loaned Jerry the money to buy the Chargers in the 60s.

Jerry would be buried in New Jersey somewhere.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Actually that was a special play Jackie came up with and it was only ever intended for him. And HE was our injured TE that day. AND it wasn't one of Roger's better passes either.

Kudos to him if he came up with the play or suggested to it, but to suggest it wasn't a good pass is pretty lame. I know Staubach the uber gentleman that he is says "I threw it a little low" but that ball was right in his hands with nobody near him. It wasn't like he had to dive and scoop it up off the grass blades.

Again, he never would have been on the roster if Saldi hadn't gotten hurt early in the season.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Kudos to him if he came up with the play or suggested to it, but to suggest it wasn't a good pass is pretty lame. I know Staubach the uber gentleman that he is says "I threw it a little low" but that ball was right in his hands with nobody near him. It wasn't like he had to dive and scoop it up off the grass blades.

Again, he never would have been on the roster if Saldi hadn't gotten hurt early in the season.

Look at the video. Ball was a duck and was well behind Smith and way low. This isn't even a point of debate, this is from Roger himself. It was a terrible pass that slipped out of Roger's hand.

Saldi's status had nothing to do with us signing Smith.

Reaction score
I'm not one to complain about these, because there's probably just as many "what ifs" for other teams.

What if Scott Norwood hit the FG in Super Bowl 25 against the Giants? Do the Bills end up losing 4 straight?

What if Seattle called a run play last year?

What if Minnesota's GM didn't get fleeced by Jerry?

The "what ifs" don't always lead to Cowboys wins if they go the other way.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And besides which, the Smith "drop" wasn't even the turning point of that game. That came with Randy White's fumble of the kick return after Pittsburgh's subsequent score. Dude had a cast on his arm and due to their kicker slipping, the ball came to him and he tried to return it instead of just falling on it. Pittsburgh took that gift and scored almost immediately, as the Doomsday defense then gave up a TD pass.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Look at the video. Ball was a duck and was well behind Smith and way low. This isn't even a point of debate, this is from Roger himself. It was a terrible pass that slipped out of Roger's hand.

Saldi's status had nothing to do with us signing Smith.

I did, they show two different angles of it. It certainly wasn't "well behind" Smith. It also wasn't a "duck" Only you can watch a video and come up with such arguments.

Also from this article about it from NY Daily News "The Sickest Man in America"

In the midst of all that glitz, the game turned on Smith’s drop. Dallas trailed, 21-14, late in the third quarter when Roger Staubach, on third-and-3 from the Steeler 10-yard line, found Smith, the longtime Cardinal whom the Cowboys had talked out of retirement, wide open in the middle of the end zone. Staubach’s pass was slightly low. The 38-year-old backup slid, and the ball hit him right in the chest, then bounced off him.

As for Saldi/Smith, either you have a bad memory or just don't know the details, but here you go:

Jay Saldi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was a member of Cowboys' Super Bowl XII championship team in 1977, although he was de-activated for the game with a bruised leg muscle. The next year he suffered a broken arm in the fourth game and the Cowboys signed future hall of famer Jackie Smith as his replacement.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And besides which, the Smith "drop" wasn't even the turning point of that game. That came with Randy White's fumble of the kick return after Pittsburgh's subsequent score. Dude had a cast on his arm and due to their kicker slipping, the ball came to him and he tried to return it instead of just falling on it. Pittsburgh took that gift and scored almost immediately, as the Doomsday defense then gave up a TD pass.

The drop still would have tied the game at 21. We ended up making it 21-17 with the FG. We lost by 4.

I'm sure even you can do the math there Dooms.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Correction, that clip actually shows three different angles.

The common denominator? The ball bounces off his chest every time.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I did, they show two different angles of it. It certainly wasn't "well behind" Smith. It also wasn't a "duck" Only you can watch a video and come up with such arguments.
The ball was wobbly, was a duck! You're arguing with Staubach here. However Smith, the man he is, said he should have made the play regardless.
As for Saldi/Smith, either you have a bad memory
Yes, memories are fallible. Thanks for the correction.
The drop still would have tied the game at 21. We ended up making it 21-17 with the FG. We lost by 4.

I'm sure even you can do the math there Dooms.
It wasn't the turning point of the game. That came later. It sucked but that was how the cookie crumbled. If White falls on that ball at our 24 we still have momentum. The immediate score killed us.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The biggest "what if" of them all:

What if egomaniac Jerry had just been satisfied to be the owner and pseudo GM of a Cowboys team coached/run by Jimmy Johnson for a decade+ ?

I think its safe to say we'd probably have never seen a run like the 2000-2002 Campo time, or the 8-8 string of mediocrity we see today if he had stayed. He was young enough that he could literally still be the coach here if Jerry wouldn't have been so short sighted and just out and out stupid. Jerry would be the owner of a NFL team that probably would have won at least 5 or 6 championships and maybe more. He'd be beloved by the fans and revered by the national media.

Reaction score
What if Garrett got locked out in the sun during a bachelor party in 2006 like they did to the dude on the first Hangover movie?

Well, he'd probably be dead or at least unable to coach...

Reaction score
The biggest "what if" of them all:

What if egomaniac Jerry had just been satisfied to be the owner and pseudo GM of a Cowboys team coached/run by Jimmy Johnson for a decade+ ?

I think its safe to say we'd probably have never seen a run like the 2000-2002 Campo time, or the 8-8 string of mediocrity we see today if he had stayed. He was young enough that he could literally still be the coach here if Jerry wouldn't have been so short sighted and just out and out stupid. Jerry would be the owner of a NFL team that probably would have won at least 5 or 6 championships and maybe more. He'd be beloved by the fans and revered by the national media.

That's a great question. It would have been interesting to see.

I'd guess that the team would have endured a salary cap hell period with or without Jimmy, but maybe not.

In any event, Jimmy would have been a massive improvement over the three castrados (Switzer, Gailey, Campo).

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I do think Jimmy would have left before long anyway, though. Yes, Jerry pissed him off, but he wasn't one to stay at one spot too long, and he wanted to get back to Florida. He's said that so many times I have to believe he's telling the truth.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I do think Jimmy would have left before long anyway, though. Yes, Jerry pissed him off, but he wasn't one to stay at one spot too long, and he wanted to get back to Florida. He's said that so many times I have to believe he's telling the truth.

Jimmy has said publicly he didnt want to be tied to the long term deal he had and that ultimately he always wanted to work where he lived (back in S Florida)

IIRC he was in a 10 year contract when the break up happened.

Top Bottom