Reaction score
By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

The 2016 NFL Draft features plenty of talent at the quarterback position, but it's spread out between a dozen (or more) prospects.

That's unlike a year ago when it was obvious that the top two prospects -- Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota -- were relatively transcendent underclassmen (and then a steep drop-off in talent after them), the 2016 draft is loaded with projects.

The crop was significantly boosted Thursday with the expected announcements that the top two quarterbacks on NFLDraftScout.com's board -- Paxton Lynch (Memphis) and Jared Goff (California) - were forgoing their senior seasons and heading to the NFL.

Lynch (6 feet 6, 230 pounds) possesses all of the physical tools to excite scouts, including rare agility for a man of his size and a hose for an arm. However, rather than end his career with a bang, Lynch struggled mightily in a 31-10 loss to Auburn, raising all kinds of questions about the steep learning curve he'll face in the NFL.

Goff (6-4, 210), on the other hand, was brilliant in guiding Cal to its first bowl victory since 2008, tossing six touchdowns without an interception to win the Armed Forces Bowl. That victory, however, came against an overmatched Air Force defense and there are plenty of concerns as to whether Goff's thin frame and average arm strength will hold up in the NFL, making it potentially critical that he's drafted by a team that fits his strengths.

The top-rated seniors at the position also come with significant questions.

Michigan State's Connor Cook remains in the first round conversation as the 6-2, 220-pounder has the build, arm strength and track record in a pro-style offense to offer a relatively quick transition to the NFL.

Scouts, however, question how much of the Spartans' success is due to Cook. Michigan State beat Ohio State on Nov. 21 without Cook by sticking to Mark Dantonio's philosophy of running the ball and playing physical, assignment-sound defense. Despite starting the past three years for Sparty, Cook still has a tendency to spray the ball due to inconsistent footwork.

Further, scouts question whether Cook, who curiously was never voted a captain by teammates during his collegiate career, has the leadership traits necessary to ever be a franchise quarterback.

North Dakota State's Carson Wentz is the small-school wild card to keep an eye on. He was lightly recruited out of high school due in part to his size (5-8, 125 pounds as a high school freshman) but he sprouted and now possesses an ideal frame for the NFL (6-5, 231).

Not surprisingly, Wentz has starred against the lower competition, guiding the Bison to a berth in the FCS national championship Jan. 9 against Jacksonville State. While he possesses the frame, arm and surprisingly athleticism scouts are looking for, he comes with obvious level of competition questions with only one career appearance against an FBS team (Iowa State). Scouts are excited to see Wentz matched up against top talent at the Senior Bowl. A strong performance in Mobile could push Wentz into the first-round mix.

With an undefeated record at Ohio State that includes sparkling performances in playoff wins last year against Alabama and Oregon to guide the Buckeyes to a national championship, Cardale Jones doesn't come with the same level of competition questions as Wentz. Further, he boasts the most exciting skill-set of this year's quarterbacks with a Daunte Culpepper-like combination of size (6-5, 250 pounds), arm strength and athleticism.

While undeniably gifted, Jones is quite a gamble at the next level, having started only 11 games (and played in 23 overall) over his collegiate career. In terms of running the ball or chucking it downfield on vertical routes, Jones looks like a future star. It is virtually everywhere else, however, that Jones needs considerable polishing before he can be expected to guide an NFL franchise.

With no guarantees among quarterbacks at the top, NFL teams could elect to take advantage of this year's bumper crop of offensive and defensive linemen (who make up the majority of our current mock drafts) and instead wait until the middle rounds to find a passer.

There are some intriguing prospects amongst the second-tier quarterbacks, including Mississippi State's Dak Prescott, Stanford's Kevin Hogan, Arkansas' Brandon Allen and Louisiana Tech's Jeff Driskel, each of whom made strides in 2015.

None, however, boasts the complete skill-set to ease the concerns of QB-needy general managers throughout the NFL, which should make the buildup to this year's draft all the more fascinating to watch.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
North Dakota State's Carson Wentz is the small-school wild card to keep an eye on. He was lightly recruited out of high school due in part to his size (5-8, 125 pounds as a high school freshman) but he sprouted and now possesses an ideal frame for the NFL (6-5, 231).

WTF? He grew 9 inches taller after HS?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
5'8" as a high school freshman...never really seen someone post prospects size from when they were 14.

Scottie Pippen grew 6" after his freshman year of college.

Ervin Johnson (not Magic) grew 8" in college.

Reaction score
Take it for what it's worth:

@AlbertBreer 55m55 minutes ago
Now that guys are declaring, based on all I've heard over 4 months, I'd say Cal's Jared Goff is the leader to be the 1st QB taken in April.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry's not gonna pay the price to trade up for a guy who won't be starting right away, so put those #16 jerseys away.

Reaction score
5'8" as a high school freshman...never really seen someone post prospects size from when they were 14.
That's what I thought when I read that... Why did they list what he was as a freshman?

Wondering if a trade down to get Wentz might eventually look like the right move here... He's going to need more developing, and can sit behind Romo with little to no pressure for a couple of seasons a la Rodgers. If we take Goff or Lynch at 4, the cries for them to start will begin by Week 4 if Romo isn't tearing it up. Especially if it's Lynch, that could be a disaster... could ruin Lynch and fuck up 2016 real quick.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
would NOT use a first unless very late in the round for Wentz. Too few starts in college to really evaluate him all that well.

I see every year the same mistake made with QBs= everyone slobbering over size and arm strength instead of what is really important, what is between the ears.

Goff's arm is NOT weak; not as strong as Lynch's of course but it is not weak. He can make all the throws = I would say his arm strength is pretty close to Tony's but a little stronger.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Everyone commenting on Wentz talks about all his great intangibles, work ethic and smarts.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
If Goff's Wonderlic is low enough, Jerry might be persuaded.

love your avatar. Just depresses me to realize I am old enough to have watched him competing. He was one of those that really knew how to work the Soviet system.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Oh, right. I remember Bubka did the same in the pole vault -- broke WRs by as tiny an amount as possible so he could get a bonus each time he did it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
too few games as starter to use a first on. The guy is beyond RAW.

He didn't look like it the other day.

For a small school guy, he looks extremely polished. His footwork and throwing motion look almost textbook.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
One thing I've wondered: We all know how Jerry doesn't really stand for anything (i.e. Mid's sig) but loves to chase the latest trends. If Newton wins it all this year, which I think is very possible, I can see Jerry seeing Lynch as that same type of rare QB that you can run that zone read with because he's athletic but actually big enough to withstand the hits, unlike a Vick or RG3.

Just something to look for.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
One thing I've wondered: We all know how Jerry doesn't really stand for anything (i.e. Mid's sig) but loves to chase the latest trends. If Newton wins it all this year, which I think is very possible, I can see Jerry seeing Lynch as that same type of rare QB that you can run that zone read with because he's athletic but actually big enough to withstand the hits, unlike a Vick or RG3.

Just something to look for.

A comparison some others have already noted about him.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
A comparison some others have already noted about him.

Next question is would this bozo coach have the guts to implement such a system, or the knowledge to properly teach it.

Because it's radically different from what Garrett has always done, and we know how incredibly conservative he is.

Top Bottom