cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I have a 4-pack to the Fiesta Bowl. I'm hoping like hell it's nothing but big-time, major programs in the playoffs..Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, etc..so that I can sell 2 tickets to cover the total price. Houston was scaring me for a minute.

Roll Tide!

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sold on Butch Jones. I mean, recruiting has improved, but idk that he actually is a good coach at all. Team plays down and has a lot of mental errors, mistakes.

Butch Jones is the epitome of a mediocre coach. He can recruit and is a good rah rah pep rally kind of guy but x's and o's is not his strong suit. We are better off than the past 9-10 years but humbling to know this team is 0-25 vs top 10 teams in the last 10 yrs or so. Good times.

Reaction score
Eh, no offense Vol fans, I'm rooting for you, but I didn't think you were that good. SEC has one really good team this year.

But all of CFB seems extremely top heavy to me. You have Bama, Ohio State, Washington, Michigan, Louisville, and Clemson and then a huge drop off. And I really don't think UL and Clemson can play with the top two, and probably not Michigan either. Looks like it's a two-team race this year unless UW is better than people even think.

Which I hate because it takes a lot of the fun out of the year.

Yeah well you know that special bond we had where you'd give a lot of props to my posts, and I would yours - even if I didn't read it? That's now over. You've no one to blame but yourself.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Oct 18, 2016
Chris Low
ESPN Senior Staff Writer

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee's 49-10 loss to Alabama on Saturday was another costly one on the injury front as running back Alvin Kamara suffered an injury to his left knee, leaving his status for the rest of the year uncertain.

The fear is that Kamara damaged his lateral collateral ligament (LCL) and possibly his meniscus, sources told ESPN.com. He's scheduled to be further evaluated.

At his weekly news conference Tuesday, head coach Butch Jones declined to get into specifics about Kamara's injury, saying, "Everything is wait and see."

The Vols have an open date this week and face South Carolina on Oct. 29.

Kamara, who set a school record with 312 all-purpose yards in a 45-38 double-overtime loss to Texas A&M on Oct. 8, appeared to be shaken up in the first quarter against Alabama on a punt return. He carried the ball eight times for 21 yards in the game.

Jones confirmed that sophomore defensive tackle Kahlil McKenzie is out for the remainder of the season after suffering a torn pectoral muscle against Alabama. Sophomore offensive lineman Jack Jones tore a tendon in his hand and underwent surgery, but is hopeful of returning in two weeks against South Carolina.

"We have a lot of guys that are injured and banged up," Jones said. "It's been a long, long season."

More than 10 players in the starting rotation have missed games, including some of the Vols' best players such as running back Jalen Hurd, cornerback Cam Sutton and linebackers Jalen Reeves-Maybin and Darrin Kirkland Jr.

Reeves-Maybin, one of four team captains, is out for the rest of the season, but Kirkland hopes to return for the South Carolina game.

"I've never been through a year like this in coaching, ever," Jones said.

The surgery for Reeves-Maybin, who had 206 total tackles over the past two seasons, likely ends his college career, though the senior from Clarksville, Tennessee, hasn't completely ruled out the possibility of seeking a medical redshirt. Reeves-Maybin already has earned his degree.

"My legacy probably could have been a little different if I would have played this whole year, but I still think I'm a leader of this team, a captain," Reeves-Maybin said. "I still think I can help us win games. I think I still have a lot of respect [from] all my teammates. I still feel like I have a job to do."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

.........................................................................................................................................................

The team bus could have ran over a road side bomb and not come away with as many injuries as they have endured so far this year.

Reaction score
Losing Kamara would be huge... but lets face it, we can likely finish 10-2 without him and even with him, its highly unlikely we beat Alabama in the SEC title game.

What if he sat out the rest of the year, Reeves-Maybin took a medical redshirt, and both came back for next season for a potential run?

Reaction score
Kongbo making 'strides,' still 'maturing'

Jonathan Kongbo has yet to live up to the hype that preceded his arrival at Tennessee earlier this year as the nation’s No. 1 junior-college prospect in the 2016 class.

But the Vols still seem to be encouraged by his progress.

Tennessee defensive line coach Steve Stripling said this week that Kongbo, the Vols’ redshirt sophomore defensive lineman, still is “maturing” seven games into his Tennessee career, but he had “really made some strides the last couple weeks” going into the Vols’ open date this week.

“He’s actually doing good,” Stripling said of Kongbo, who has come off the bench to record four total tackles in his first seven games at Tennessee. “Obviously, he was highly recruited — big name, all that — but it’s still a matter of maturing.

“We visited (Monday) — he and I, one-on-one — and we talked about how he’s really made some strides the last couple weeks, starting to see things happen faster on the field. The reaction time’s getting smaller, so I think if he continues to progress, we know he has the athletic ability to be outstanding.”

Stripling said Kongbo still was far from a finished product when he enrolled at Tennessee in June, “and I think he knew it, just because of his background.”

Kongbo, who was born in the Congo and moved to Canada when he was 5 years old, redshirted at Wyoming in 2014 and spent last year at Arizona Western College in Yuma, Ariz., before signing with the Vols this year.

“He had been at one school and then he went to a junior college, so he didn’t have the foundation that he knows he needs to get,” Stripling said. “And he’s very conscious about that.”

Top Bottom