cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Bill Parcells' 4 rules for drafting a quarterback:

1 .The quarterback must be a senior. . .because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback
Goff - Junior
Lynch - redshirt Junior/academic Senior
Cook - redshirt Senior
Hackenberg - Junior
Wentz - redshirt Senior

2. He must be a graduate. . .because you want somebody that takes their responsibilities seriously.
Goff - early enrollee at Cal so possible.
Lynch - Has been at Memphis 4 years so I would think so.
Cook -I'd hope so. He was an early enrollee and redshirted.
Hackenberg - early enrollee at Penn State so possible.
Wentz - This is his 5th year and has been named to honor roll 4 times so far.

3. He must be a three-year starter. . .because you want to make sure his success wasn't a fluke and to know that he has been "the guy" for a significant period of time.
Goff - Yes
Lynch - Yes
Cook - Yes
Hackenberg - Yes

Wentz - No

4. He must have 23 wins. . .because big numbers don't mean a whole lot if you don't win.
Goff - 13 wins with bowl game pending.
Lynch - 21 wins (18 in last 2 years) with bowl game pending.
Cook - 33 wins with Big10 Championship and bowl game pending.
Hackenberg - 21 wins with bowl game pending.
Wentz - 22 wins. Injured this year. Won FCS National Championship in 2014.

there is also the 26-27-60 rule that some teams use. 26 minimum on Wonderlic, 27 career starts, and 60% or higher completion percentage:

26 Wonderlic
Goff - TBD
Lynch - TBD
Cook - TBD
Hackenberg - TBD
Wentz - TBD

27 career starts
Goff - 37
Lynch - 36
Cook - 38
Hackenberg - 37

Wentz - 22, would have surpassed 27 if healthy. Also played in 19 games as a back-up.

60% completion percentage
Goff - 62.1%
Lynch - 63.5%
Cook - 58%
Hackenberg - 56.1%
Wentz - 64.5%

Reaction score
Good info.

Anyone out of the top 5 meet most of these? Because odds are we take a QB in 3rd-5th IMO.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Doesn't look like a large pool of prospects this year.

It is no different than any other year.

The infestation of the spread offense from high school to the college game has made it very difficult to get a player that is even close to being able to contribute.

That is why if I started a football team, I would find the best QB coach I could.

We have Wade Wilson.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Anyone out of the top 5 meet most of these? Because odds are we take a QB in 3rd-5th IMO.

Nate Sudfeld QB 6-6/235 Indiana - currently projected as 4th-5th round prospect
nate-sudfeld-ncaa-football-north-texas-indiana-850x560.jpg

Senior? Yes.
Graduate? Should graduate this year.
3-year starter? Yes.
23 career wins? Nope, only 14.

26 or higher Wonderlic? TBD
27 or more career starts? Nope, 26 but possible bowl game.
60% or higher career completion percentage? Barely, 60.5%

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind doing what the Broncos did. Take a talented prospect (Osweiler for example) in the 2nd round and sit him for a number of year. Osweiler has been a backup for 4 years and despite getting few favors from his receivers, looks decent.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Same here. Although, I do understand the reasoning behind taking that QB in the top 5 if you're sitting there... I like the idea of a 2nd-3rd rounder sitting behind Romo and learning for a few years. Plus I reallllly like some of these defensive players who are projected at the top of this draft. Ramsey, Bosa, Jaylon Smith, Jack, the list goes on. I'd love for us to grab an impact player on defense.

Reaction score
If we end up in the top 5, we almost have to take Lynch or Goff, whoever falls to us. You know this front office isn't expecting to pick there for years to come given the "talented squad" they think we have that was just a few injuries away. They see Romo go out and they lose 12 games when he's out? Yeah, the QB is going to be front of mind. They can even let one of those guys sit while Romo plays out the next season and see if he can stay healthy... if so, then we can make a run and be ready for 2016 with a blue chip QB who had a year to learn.

I don't trust this team to take a less talented QB (2nd or 3rd rounder) and make him into something.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I dont know that they can count on "developing" a guy for 2-3 yrs.

Romo very well might not be the starter for 2-3 yrs. Honestly based on what we saw this yr, he might not even be our day one starter next year.

Top Bottom