Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He was the best at his position when he played

He played both sides of the ball

And he was great at both

He may not have been there long but he made an impact while he was there
He was a salesman, a huckster, a flim-flam man. Irvin took him to fucking school every time we played the Falcons while Deon was there. And even when there, he wouldn't hit anyone or make many tackles.

Only "impact" he had was opponent's timid OC's who bought into the hype and were scared to throw at him.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Staubach and Lilly are at the top of the list, but Randy White is my favorite all-time player.
That's right, The Manster. One player who all the other players both in Dallas and the rest of the league, were legitimately afraid of.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I don't give even half a fuck about anyone that played before 1990.

I guess Irvin. Emmitt would be my pick if he wasn't such a moron. He literally sounds like he has a 4th grade education, yet he made it through college.

The best athletes at their position I've seen personally are DeMarcus Ware and Tony Romo.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm watching the Football Life on Tom Landry

Man what I wouldn't give to have him still coaching the Cowboys

20 straight winning seasons. A record that may never be broken. Just to give you an idea of how truly impressive that is.....

The most dominant team in the NFL right now is the Patriots with 12 straight winning seasons. Brady would have to play until he was 44 to tie that record and Belichick would be 69. I can see Belichick coaching into his 70's but not Brady playing to 45 into the year 2023

Once those two are gone the Patriots would be rebuilding and have a loosing season which would break the streak

Reaction score
We don't have "idea" we know, because many have said so. On film and on tape.

Just because a handful of players "feared" him, doesn't mean all did.

Besides, the ones who said it were probably speaking glowingly of the guy out of respect.

These are professional athletes. The idea that they "fear" opponents is adorable.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don't give even half a fuck about anyone that played before 1990.

I guess Irvin.
Irvin Played for Dallas before 1990. As did many of the starters on those 90s SB teams - like Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei, Jim Jeffcoat, Ken Norton Jr, Chad Hennings, and so on.

The truth is when you include Troy Aikman - who was all set to be drafted in '89 by the Tex Schramm regime anyway - and Moose Johnston, Tony Tolbert and Mark Stepnoski (who were also high on that draft board Jerry inherited and it's no coincidence they were all drafted in '89) it is clear Schramm was quietly building a core group that would be all set to compete and return Dallas to prominence. Trouble was, it probably would have taken way, way longer than what Jimmy did - because there's no way in Hell Tom Landry ever trades Hershel.

Tex had his eye on Jimmy Johnson way before '89, in fact Jimmy was a regular Schramm guest up in the owner's luxury booth at Dallas games, and was offered a Defensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach position back in '87 and turned it down. The job came with the understanding that Landry was going to gracefully retire after a couple of years, and Jimmy would be the HC. All of this according to Jimmy, in his book.

All Jerry did was what Tex really wanted to do but didn't have the heart to do - bring Jimmy in and turn him loose. There weren't any "genius personnel moves" by Jerry that weren't already in Schramm's pipeline.

You kids should study the old days and the Silver Stars and learn about them, embrace your Cowboys legacy.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
These are professional athletes. The idea that they "fear" opponents is adorable.
You don't understand because you weren't around. White scared the shit out of people. So did John Dutton. Opponents literally feared pissing them off. It was the same way with Lilly too. It was a different era, one you're not capable of comprehending. It wasn't this antiseptic, comparably weenie sport you grew up watching.

By the way, ones who were too stupid to be scared, got educated - like Thomas Henderson. He thought one day it would be a good idea to jump on The Manster in the locker room. Take one guess what happened.

"The key to beating Dallas is to do it in such a way that you don't make Randy White or John Dutton mad." - Cardinals quarterback Neil Lomax.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Irvin Played for Dallas before 1990. As did many of the starters on those 90s SB teams - like Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei, Jim Jeffcoat, Ken Norton Jr, Chad Hennings, and so on.

The truth is when you include Troy Aikman - who was all set to be drafted in '89 by the Tex Schramm regime anyway - and Moose Johnston, Tony Tolbert and Mark Stepnoski (who were also high on that draft board Jerry inherited and it's no coincidence they were all drafted in '89) it is clear Schramm was quietly building a core group that would be all set to compete and return Dallas to prominence. Trouble was, it probably would have taken way, way longer than what Jimmy did - because there's no way in Hell Tom Landry ever trades Hershel.

Tex had his eye on Jimmy Johnson way before '89, in fact Jimmy was a regular Schramm guest up in the owner's luxury booth at Dallas games, and was offered a Defensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach position back in '87 and turned it down. The job came with the understanding that Landry was going to gracefully retire after a couple of years, and Jimmy would be the HC. All of this according to Jimmy, in his book.

All Jerry did was what Tex really wanted to do but didn't have the heart to do - bring Jimmy in and turn him loose. There weren't any "genius personnel moves" by Jerry that weren't already in Schramm's pipeline.

You kids should study the old days and the Silver Stars and learn about them, embrace your Cowboys legacy.

Amen to that DD
know your history boys and girls
The Cowboys were great way before Jimmy, Aikman, E. smith, and Irving came along

There is only one Cowboy playing right now as it stands that will end up on the ring of honor and that's Witten

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Football Life episode on Landry just talked about how Tex didn't have it in him to Let Landry go after working together for 29 years! And that he took a lesser offer from Jerry for the Cowboys because he was the only one who said they planned to replace Landry (with Jimmy)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There is only one Cowboy playing right now as it stands that will end up on the ring of honor and that's Witten
You mean right now this minute, with Dez and Tony hurt? They're shoo-ins for the RoH.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And that he took a lesser offer from Jerry for the Cowboys because he was the only one who said they planned to replace Landry (with Jimmy)
That was Bum Bright, not Tex. Tex himself didn't have anything to do with those negotiations, because Jerry would deal ONLY one on one with Bright. No middlemen.

Tex had been trying to gently shove Tom out the door for years prior, though.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Right now with their current resume

I see Dez becoming one of the greatest and ending up there. Romo probably will too. But if all three of their careers ended today only Witten is for sure

If Romo wins a SB then it's automatic. Without one I don't know. Dez hasn't done enough "yet" but he will eventually if he stays a Cowboy. But Witten could retire tomorrow and Jerry would put him on the Ring in a season or two

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
By the way, Bright was forced to sell the team, as part of the settlement of the savings and loan scandal. The Securities and Exchange Commission forced the sale.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Right now with their current resume

I see Dez becoming one of the greatest and ending up there. Romo probably will too. But if all three of their careers ended today only Witten is for sure

If Romo wins a SB then it's automatic. Without one I don't know. Dez hasn't done enough "yet" but he will eventually if he stays a Cowboy. But Witten could retire tomorrow and Jerry would put him on the Ring in a season or two
No Man, Jerry will put all three up there in one fail swoop. Romo and Witten definitely deserve it.

Are you confusing Hall of Fame with Ring of Honor?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You are probably right. Jerry probably would

I myself still think Romo needs to win the big games before he is afforded that honor. Unfortunately he will have to win them in spite of his head coach as opposed to because of him

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I myself still think Romo needs to win the big games before he is afforded that honor. Unfortunately he will have to win them in spite of his head coach as opposed to because of him
I think both Witten and Romo get into the HoF, Supa Bow or no. First ballot, maybe not but I think they both definitely will.

Both definitely in the Ring, regardless.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If Romo had a great HC like Belichik he would have had a career similar to Brady

Being under Garrett has stifled his career and definitely his success

Not to mention our teams success

Top Bottom