Reaction score
By Rainer Sabin Follow @RainerSabinDMN rsabin@dallasnews.com

Staff Writer
Published: 06 October 2015 05:48 PM
Updated: 07 October 2015 12:03 PM
Related

IRVING -- The excitement about Christine Michael began to swell immediately after Seattle shipped him to Dallas for a conditional 2016 seventh-round pick last month. The fervor increased in the days leading up to last Sunday, when he was activated by the Cowboys for the first time.

Could the former second-round choice help solve the problems experienced by the Cowboys' running game? Could he make any kind of measurable impact?

But for 53 minutes and 23 seconds fans those questions went unanswered. He stood on the sideline of the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, waiting for an opportunity. Then he got one with 6:37 left in the fourth quarter. The Situation? Third-and-1 at the Dallas 39-yard line with the Cowboys trailing 20-13.

Michael took the handoff, leaned left and then cut right into the teeth of New Orleans' defense. Before Michael could even get back to the line of scrimmage, he was stopped by Bobby Richardson and Brandon Browner for a one-yard loss.

The play never looked as if it would succeed. The Saints had eight players stacked near the line of scrimmage, because they had to figure that Michael, a bruiser, would get the ball if the Cowboys were using him now for the first time with one yard separating Dallas from a first down. In fact, Browner was in the right spot to tackle Michael because he moved back towards the middle, following Cowboys receiver Devin Street when he was sent in motion to settle in behind tight end Jason Witten.

Chalk this up as a mistake by the Cowboys' coaches, who put Michael in a position to fail on his first carry since joining the team.

Why would they wait until a crucial, pressure-packed moment late in the game to unveil Michael when they go out of their way to make sure their quarterbacks establish a rhythm during the scripted portion of the game plans every week? Why would they tip their hand on the play-call by deploying Michael in that particular situation, hinting at their strategy with a personnel choice?

As Jason Garrett said, "we really had him as our short-yardage back."

That was obvious to everyone, including Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

Sure, players are supposed to execute at the NFL level. But coaches are expected to give them the best chance to succeed, too. Garrett and his assistants didn't do that for Michael, and everybody paid the price for it.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
waaaah! asking him to get a yard was totes unfair! waaaah!

so he should never get the ball in short yardage situations? who, then?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Our formidable Oline looking like the old days where they can't pick up blitzing players.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This is exactly what I predicted would happen, it happened exactly as I said it would, and Sabin has this exactly right.

It was NOT a failure of execution on Michael's part, it was the PREDICTABILITY of bringing him in ONLY when you needed a yard. The Saints bumrushed it, flooded the point of attack with upfield pressure, and stuffed it. BECAUSE THEY KNEW HE WOULD BE GETTING THE BALL and because of Street's motion, knew exactly where.

It was predictably dumb, and Jerry even said on pregame radio interview this was what they were going to do with him. They literally, set him up to fail!

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is exactly what I predicted would happen, it happened exactly as I said it would, and Sabin has this exactly right.

It was NOT a failure of execution on Michael's part, it was the PREDICTABILITY of bringing him in ONLY when you needed a yard. The Saints bumrushed it, flooded the point of attack with upfield pressure, and stuffed it. BECAUSE THEY KNEW HE WOULD BE GETTING THE BALL and because of Street's motion, knew exactly where.

It was predictably dumb, and Jerry even said on pregame radio interview this was what they were going to do with him. They literally, set him up to fail!

And Garret was one of Sabin's coaches back in Miami, and you would THINK he would know better.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
3b.gif

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's not a counter play because no guard is pulling with Michael. It seems like a power play and Michael saw no hole because Leary got rocked back by 95. Michael was too slow to get to the backside b gap that opened up.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's not a counter play because no guard is pulling with Michael. It seems like a power play and Michael saw no hole because Leary got rocked back by 95. Michael was too slow to get to the backside b gap that opened up.
Whereas had he just continued to his left and used his power, he probably gets his yard. But only just. I stand corrected now, from the angle bbgun provided it is obvious the back didn't play this right, tried to be Barry Sanders and Barry he ain't.

We only needed a yard, not 60.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Whereas had he just continued to his left and used his power, he probably gets his yard. But only just. I stand corrected now, from the angle bbgun provided it is obvious the back didn't play this right, tried to be Barry Sanders and Barry he ain't.

We only needed a yard, not 60.

He bailed because Leary got knocked back. Michael has to just hit it and try to grind out a yard.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Bob Sturm:

As you can see from the still below, this is a run to go behind Smith and Leary to the frontside, with the option of the cutback. It actually isn't an option if your guard - 65-Leary - is getting turned that badly. Alex Gibbs was teaching a zone blocking clinic where he demonstrated the RBs read off of helmet position. The linemen must keep their helmet to the outside (backfield side) of the defender. If they can't - as Leary clearly can't, then the RB can't go to the sideline. He must cutback.

1444309861-Pasted_Image_10_8_15__8_08_AM.jpg

So, Michael adjusts accordingly and heads to the backside which would be right off the back of Jason Witten. Trouble there is Witten has been matched up against a much bigger man and is maxing out his situation to the best of his ability. Also, the DB - 39-Browner is watching that gap and has absolutely nobody accounting for him.

1444310278-Pasted_Image_10_8_15__8_09_AM.jpg

Witten's man beats him - big Bobby Richardson - with a spin move right into Michael's path and the Cowboys are completely deflated as the punt team runs on. You would like to think Michael could muscle Browner to the sticks, but when 2 men are in his path, the play is dead.

As everyone says, you would like to think you can get a yard, but the Saints feel the run is telegraphed and they have everyone up tight. Either you hit the run right up the gut quick or you might be overwhelmed with numbers with any lateral runs. They were here. Running against 8 in the box is no picnic.

Reaction score
Leary let 95 initiate the contact there. It's almost like he thought it was a pass. His first step is back with his outside foot. If it's a power run to his side, shouldn't he blow off the ball and try to get to the outside of 95?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I wonder if Leary wasn't really recovered from the groin pull. With all the talk about Collins taking his job, he might have come back before he was ready.

But then a bunch of our OL are getting pushed around this year. Very strange. I think I've seen more of our OL standing around watching as the tackle is made in four games this year than I did all of last year.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He bailed because Leary got knocked back. Michael has to just hit it and try to grind out a yard.
Yep I agree and can see he bailed on it, but just one step to the right to counter that defender - put Leary between them then charge ahead - gets him his yard.
Leary let 95 initiate the contact there. It's almost like he thought it was a pass. His first step is back with his outside foot. If it's a power run to his side, shouldn't he blow off the ball and try to get to the outside of 95?
Yep. It's not clear in my mind why you would even call this particular running play. Single back, one TE....

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'd run the counter there. Bring the TE and pulling guard to hit the first two things moving. The D line reacts to the O line with 4 of them blocking down, they will usually try to beat the play and secure their gap, which means they are going the wrong way. Big, big counter fan. Pittsburgh runs it well. 49ers did when Harbaugh was there. Urban Meyer runs it out of the spread.
BellTDEndzoneStill.png

Featured-Photo2-520x245.jpg

Top Bottom