ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, the administrators and police in that case definitely overreacted -- putting handcuffs on the kid was absurd.

But all the people I've seen saying, "That's a clock, it looks nothing like a bomb." Um, really? That's what most clocks look like?

The really sickening part is all the political grandstanding and self-promotion going on about this.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Bothers me a bit that they didn't seem to have ONE science teacher or technology teacher in the school who could look at this thing and see it was harmless. But yes, the packaging of the device IS suspect.

And yes, because the boy is a Muslim, we have all of this grandstanding whereas if he were a white kid all you would have is "another lone wolf terrorist stopped."

Ridiculous to cuff the kid. Really stupid. No matter his origin, color or religion.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm not too sure about the school over-reacting, bit. It looks like a suitcase bomb and I'd call in people who know better as well.

Arresting him is another argument; I'd have to wonder and ask what his inspiration for that particular design was. That looks like no clock in the world, but sure does look like any suitcase bomb around, so no, no over-reaction on calling the authorities. Even if it's harmless, all un-finished IED's are.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Arresting him is another argument; I'd have to wonder and ask what his inspiration for that particular design was. That looks like no clock in the world, but sure does look like any suitcase bomb around, so no, no over-reaction on calling the authorities. Even if it's harmless, all un-finished IED's are.
Yep it wouldn't take much to make that a viable timer bomb. 14 year old kid fortunately, doesn't have ready access to C4. But with some google searching, can readily find out how to make it or a viable substitute.

But to cuff him was just toweringly stupid. Yes the school has that grave responsibility to protect the students and be vigilant, but to cuff the kid? For what?

Reaction score
I get a kick out of it when the Barney Fife authority types get cut down to size for over-reacting.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Well, you're going to get an even bigger kick when Ahmed's cousin brings the real thing and the Barney Fife's are hamstrung over worrying about appearances.

You're not seeing what you're seeing.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
If you see something, say something .. but not if they're Muslim

Reaction score
A young Steve Jobs was arrested for something similar.

Thank goodness one kid is doing something besides playing that fucking blob game.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It looks like a hollywood depiction of a bomb, but bombs don't really look like that. Real bombs look like pipes or postal packages. Maybe a guy wearing: a backpack with a pressure cooker inside; explosive sneakers; and matching underwear who's cruising around in a Ryder truck.

The only comparable item used to routinely blow people up in movies but never in real life is a bundle of dynamite tied together with some rope, sporting a 3-foot fuse that takes 90 seconds to burn.

Story is as dumb as the story about a kid who chewed his pop tart into the shape of a gun.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It looks like a hollywood depiction of a bomb, but bombs don't really look like that. Real bombs look like pipes or postal packages. Maybe a guy wearing: a backpack with a pressure cooker inside; explosive sneakers; and matching underwear who's cruising around in a Ryder truck.
Yeah of course, we have the hollywierd stereotype of the suitcase bomb. But this kid is fortunate that he decided to impress his teacher and not his local EOD veteran. Because if that kid, or any kid, shows up at my door and opens that suitcase, I am kicking him hard in the chest like he is Straight Outta Sparta. LED displays hardwired to suitcases look like bombs to most people and it might only be the EOD guy that could quickly tell otherwise. If a man dressed in a Dark Knight outfit dropped into an alleyway, most people would probably say, “what’s up batman?” And if a human being shows you a suitcase hardwired to a clock, most people are going to call it a bomb. I’m not trying to be a jerk my 14 year old Ahmed, but bro, it kind of looks like a bomb.

It kind of looks like a bomb. A lot more like a bomb, than a clock. To most people.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Show up for a guided tour through the White House with this kids “clock” and see what the security force would do.

Try to take your new “clock” on the plane with you to visit friends and family and see how TSA reacts.

Muslim or not, bomb or not, this is the world we live in.

And then again, the kid could have been mugging or copycatting, this idiocy:

Teen at Toronto Pearson Airport tries to take clock that looks like a BOMB on plane | Daily Mail Online

If Ahmed is smart enough to build a clock from scratch, there is no part of me that thinks this kid missed the association between a hardwired clock in a suitcase and his ethnicity.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
AND.... In a better world, where bullshit gets checked, I would ask these egghead school administrators why, if they really thought this was a bomb, didn't they evacuate the school? What about the safety of the children?

Additionally, Isn't it interesting how fast liberals went from zero tolerance for poptarts shaped like a gun, to wanting to tolerate suitcase clocks with wires sticking out of them?

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Yeah, dismantling a store bought clock an re-arranging it's pieces in a suitcase was pretty much a dead give away that Ahmed didn't invent shit. And little Ahmeds dad is an anti-Islamaphobia activist.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yeah, dismantling a store bought clock an re-arranging it's pieces in a suitcase was pretty much a dead give away that Ahmed didn't invent shit. And little Ahmeds dad is an anti-Islamaphobia activist.
"You didn't build that."

I was saying that on facebook as soon as I saw this "clock."

Thing is, he could just as easily have put the pre-assembled components into a cigar box.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Arabs all over the world are drooling over this kid; he's their new recruit.....

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Were you under the impression he personally fabricated all those parts in his bedroom? lol

Top Bottom