Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dez Bryant: The Survivor | Rolling Stone

So why, sitting across from me at a plush hotel in Dallas, is he cartwheeling between outrage and wracking sobs, vowing to "show those motherfuckers who did me dirty"? Why is he so wounded by the bargaining machinations of reptilian Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who had refused to make him a five-year offer at the going rate for franchise wide receivers? And why is he spitting fire at the man who gave him refuge after he'd been booted out of Oklahoma State football in 2009, calling David Wells, a black businessman in Dallas and a longtime trusted proxy of the Cowboys, a "thief and a liar" who Bryant says ripped him off?

The answer is, it's football, which is as brutal off the field as anything you've ever seen on Sunday. Betrayal, race politics and a purported Walmart tape that may or may not depict a lurid crime: This one's the Super Bowl of player/owner battles, a midnight game of chicken between two bent-for-leather drivers, with the Cowboys' season hanging on the brink.
The days ticked down to the contract deadline in July; both sides dug in and didn't budge. The Cowboys, who'd made Bryant a specious offer — nine years, $90 million, only $12 million guaranteed; by comparison, the Detroit Lions gave Calvin Johnson $113 million, the first $53 million guaranteed — and dared Bryant to cave, betting that he was broke or very near it. Meanwhile, Bryant vowed to hold out into the season and sell off what he owned, if need be. "I came from nothing and got no problem going back there," he says. "Mr. Jones thinks he knows me, but he don't know shit."
Much more at link. Dez's journey.

Reaction score
Kind of an unbelievable, twisted story.

Glad Jerry caved though.

Also, there was a line in there that I can't wrap my head around. The part about Dez being with his brother, who was also his uncle. How is that possible?

Reaction score
Also, there was a line in there that I can't wrap my head around. The part about Dez being with his brother, who was also his uncle. How is that possible?
Probably his mom or dad adopted their brother...

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Half-brother, I guess?

His dad was almost his step grandpa. Seriously messed up stuff.

I don't see why there was all the racial talk, though. Wonder if Dez regrets any of that stuff he said since he ended up getting the contract he wanted.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well he liked it enough to take it.

I assumed Mid meant Jerry caving on using the franchise tag all year. Dez did call that bluff.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I assumed Mid meant Jerry caving on using the franchise tag all year. Dez did call that bluff.
May not have been a bluff, might have been a tool to wind up with the less than Megatron deal but one Dez would still take - either this year or next.

I don't take any reporting in Rolling Stone with anything but a big grain of salt. They say "Jerry caved" but as we can see, they never bother asking Jerry. Story is totally one-sided.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Did Dez really have to do the whole left shoulder facing the camera, head looking away, with eyes closed pose?

What a faget.

I'm telling you guys; Dez is all about attention and money.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The article DID give us some insight into how Dez really feels about Jerruh, if the quotes are to be believed. Lots of seething anger there....

Reaction score
The article DID give us some insight into how Dez really feels about Jerruh, if the quotes are to be believed. Lots of seething anger there....
I heard he read on the DCU a lot... so that would make sense.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I heard he read on the DCU a lot... so that would make sense.
One can only hope. I'd be proud if the DCU was considered the bastion of Jerry Jones hatred. Rolling Stone described him as "reptilian," insulting reptiles everywhere.

Top Bottom