Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
RE: The suckfish Vester Flanagan aka "Bryce Wiliams"

It may be hard nosed to say this, but how in the hell did this guy get hired? Terrible employment history, record of trouble and lawsuits going back 15 years - there is no way in my mind that due diligence could possibly have been followed in the hiring of this creep. Were I a family member of one of the unfortunate victims I would be suing whatever individual hired him and the station, for wrongful death. What happened? Was this some sort of "affirmative action" thing because of his skin tone and sexual preference? For the sake of "diversity?" Hard questions I realize, but the reporter in me begs to ask.

I haven't seen this asked anywhere, by anyone. And it does need addressed. Were these two young people just out in the morning trying to do their jobs, sacrificial lambs for the cause of "diversity?"

I suppose it might appear a bit insensitive for me to be bringing this up, but dammit this makes me angry. Yeah, the guy probably goes off on SOMEONE eventually but shit, we have HIRING STANDARDS to keep creeps like this out of the newsroom. They weren't followed, couldn't have been.

Thoughts?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You idiot reporters and politicians out there, so quick to ask about "how did he get a gun" and "do we need moar gun laws" why haven't you asked about this first? The suckfish did the killing, not the gun. How did he get that job?

Reaction score
There is no reason to blame anyone but him... It's impossible to know everything about a person before you hire them.

No reason to blame guns. No reason to blame the station for hiring him.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There is no reason to blame anyone but him... It's impossible to know everything about a person before you hire them.

No reason to blame guns. No reason to blame the station for hiring him.
I appreciate the reasonable reply. And I'm really not trying to politicize this or assign blame. BUT...

It's not unreasonable to question this. Dude was in his mid 40s, his looks are gone. He wasn't particularly good at his job and was far from charismatic - what was the reason for the hire? To satisfy a "diversity" quota? How can one look at his spotty employment history, his age and non telegenic looks, and not be asking to yourself, "why is this guy applying for a cub reporter job at age 43, a job mostly applied for by recent college grads, entry level shit, after being at this for 20 years? Why isn't he a Senior Anchor somewhere? Why hasn't he ever stuck anywhere, or moved up in this field at all?

There were red flags all over this hire even without the 10-15 minutes that should have been spent checking his references.

I would be calling my lawyer and seeing about a damn lawsuit, as I said.

Again not trying to assign blame, just asking to me what are quite logical questions.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'd say one, there are middle-aged and older reporters and anchors in local TV markets all across the country. As we know, not everyone is a star and just systematically climbs the ladder to a big gig in a Dallas or Houston or Chicago. As in any other business, people hit their ceiling and have to settle for lesser jobs, and there is a market for those people in smaller cities. It almost sounds like you're saying that if you aren't talented enough to make it big, you shouldn't be allowed to have a job in the business.

And two, you basically aren't allowed to even criticize ex-employees anymore. You have to give an answer so generic as to be meaningless, if you even say anything. Especially when this guy had a history of litigation against his employers. So I'm sure this station barely knew of his prior issues.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'd say one, there are middle-aged and older reporters and anchors in local TV markets all across the country. As we know, not everyone is a star and just systematically climbs the ladder to a big gig in a Dallas or Houston or Chicago. As in any other business, people hit their ceiling and have to settle for lesser jobs, and there is a market for those people in smaller cities. It almost sounds like you're saying that if you aren't talented enough to make it big, you shouldn't be allowed to have a job in the business.
No, I'm just saying his age and lost looks and the job applied for are red flags that might make a responsible person check those references. He never held a TV job for more than a year? Why?

And two, you basically aren't allowed to even criticize ex-employees anymore. You have to give an answer so generic as to be meaningless, if you even say anything. Especially when this guy had a history of litigation against his employers. So I'm sure this station barely knew of his prior issues.
Yep know all about this, however some calling around is still prudent. Checking dates for example? Guys like this lie on their resume all the time.

Right now it looks like it was a straight-up diversity hire. The GM of the station this morning even said the guy was a no talent, what he called a "microphone stand." You couldn't see that in his video portfolio?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
if you're a minority and your employer wants to keep the EEOC off their back, the leash will be a lot longer

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Warped TV reporter Vester Lee Flanagan exasperated bosses with his ‘stiff and nervous’ delivery, his inability to use a teleprompter :wtf – and by wearing a President Obama badge during an election report, Daily Mail Online can reveal.

lolbreitbartlol

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
headline you see all the time: white cop shoots unarmed black man

headline you won’t see: gay black racist Obama supporter shoots unarmed white news crew

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Pretty detailed report here:

Virginia TV shooter Bryce William's reprimand for wearing Barack Obama badge | Daily Mail Online

EXCLUSIVE: 'He was the human tape recorder': How TV murderer was criticized by bosses for appalling journalistic standards and reprimanded for wearing an Obama badge to report on elections

• Vester Flanagan's appalling track record as a reporter brought to light in court papers relating to his bid to sue WDBJ for wrongful termination
  • Flanagan scored 1 out of 5 in series of categories in performance review and was told his reports were confusing and 'lean on facts'
  • One document called him 'the human tape recorder' for never challenging press releases or interviewees
  • Flanagan told the judge he wanted a jury made up solely of African American women, and FBI and Department of Justice investigations
  • Case was dismissed after CBS affiliate in Moneta, VA, issued detailed rebuttal
  • Also revealed: Flanagan threw cat feces at neighbors, had a large sex toy trove, drove like a maniac and covered his fridge with photos of himself

Warped TV reporter Vester Lee Flanagan exasperated bosses with his 'stiff and nervous' delivery, his inability to use a teleprompter - and by wearing a President Obama badge during an election report, Daily Mail Online can reveal.

Management at WDBJ dubbed the failed newsman the 'human tape recorder' because he frequently parroted what interviewees had told him rather than doing his own journalism.

Flanagan, 41, clashed repeatedly with photojournalists, belittling them in public and intimidating them with his violent temper, according to internal reports.

He was also censured for wearing an Obama sticker while recording a segment at a polling booth during the 2012 US Presidential Election - a clear breach of journalistic impartiality.

The complaints are outlined in court papers seen by Daily Mail Online that include a scathing performance review carried out prior to his termination in Feb 2013.

The station filed the documents to rebutt a wrongful termination claim which he had brought, claiming he was the victim of discrimination because he was black and gay. The station won the case.

Flanagan earned a dismal 1 out of 5 score in several categories for his poor communication skills and a failure to show respect to colleagues.

The veteran multimedia journalist was also criticized for missing deadlines and producing reports that were 'lean on facts' and left viewers confused.

Flanagan shot dead two of his ex-coworkers during a live TV segment Wednesday morning before committing suicide.

WATERMELON SCHEME

Those complaints echoed a May 2014 court filing in which Flanagan sued the station in Roanoke General District Court, seeking unpaid wages and damages for alleged discrimination.

In a sometimes-rambling account of his time at WDBJ Flanagan accused co-workers of racially harassing him by placing a watermelon around the office.

'The watermelon would appear, then disappear, then appear and disappear, then appear and disappear again only to appear again,' he wrote in a May 2014 letter to presiding Judge Francis Burkart.

'This was not an innocent incident. The watermelon was placed in a strategic location.'

Flanagan also claimed he was assaulted by a photographer, subjected to a hostile working environment and wrongfully terminated.

He demanded a jury comprised entirely of African American women and independent investigations by the FBI and Justice Department.

'I realize this is the ultimate "David vs. Goliath" scenario ... however I am neither intimidated or fearful,' he added.

Burkart dismissed the case in July 2014 after a detailed rebuttal from WDBK bosses who argued there was not a 'single allegation of fact' to support Flanagan.

Furthermore they submitted pages and pages of complaints and internal emails detailing Flanagan's poor news judgment, flawed delivery and fiery temper.

'Your on air performance ... continues to be stiff and nervous,' News director Dan Dennison told Flanagan in a December 2012 email.

'You hold onto scripts with both hands; even when you have a teleprompter in the studio and never refer to them .

'This is an unnecessary crutch. Given your level of experience doing live television, our expectation is that your on-air performance should be better.'

Dennison also slammed Flanagan, who reported under the name Bryce Williams, for acting like a 'human tape recorder' and taking press releases and interviewees on face value.

'Your job as a news reporter is to dig for the truth and the facts,' he said. 'You have a tendency to repeat instead of report on many stories which leads to thinly sourced material and a lack of substance.'

Dennison also wrote to Flanagan in November 2012 to admonish him for wearing an Obama badge while reporting on voters hitting the poll booths for the US election.

'It has come to my attention that while standing in line on Tuesday, preparing to vote, you were wearing a President Obama sticker on your clothing.'

Much more reading, documents and photos at link.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
just imagine if they found Tea Party literature in his rat nest.

Reaction score
you mean like the lafayette shooter?

im not sure i can roll my eyes any harder at the dumb shit you people come up with

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
what's dumb about exposing/mocking media bias? leftist shitheads like yourself wasted no time exploiting this tragedy by trying to make this all about gun control, or how he was "driven" into doing this due to homophobia and racism. of course, it turns out he was a professional grievance collector who bounced from job to job and blamed others for his failures, but why let facts ruin a good narrative, right?

CNcczXWUkAACZsa.jpg large.jpg

Reaction score
i didnt turn this into anything. this thread is you nitwits somehow blaming this on affirmative action? its an insane person. so was the lafayette person, his tea party shit has nothing to do with it.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
i didnt turn this into anything. this thread is you nitwits somehow blaming this on affirmative action?
No, it's about asking the perfectly logical question: Were these three victims sacrificial lambs for diversity quotas. And it appears to have been answered in the affirmative.

You are TRYING to twist it, but no one's letting you.

Reaction score
Top Bottom