Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The baddest bitch on the planet has another title fight tomorrow night. I'm popping for it, another 60 bucks here we go.

I think she is going to have some trouble this time, her opponent Bethe Correia is a pure mixed martial arts fighter who is a nasty striker, will be in her home town with a friendly (meaning hostile to Rhonda) crowd and if she can keep off the mat she might mess Rhonda's face up. If it goes to the mat though, she actually has a chance to win that matchup too.

rousey.jpg

Look at the legs on that monster.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Visionary
Bethe messed her face up just a tad, but just couldn't deal with Rhonda's two really nasty liver blows from the knee, and her fist pummels.

If course this has happened every time, always thinking Rhonda's next opponent might give her some trouble. Only one who ever has is her next one, Miesha Tate.

And I still think Cat Zingano if she doesn't charge into Rousey like last time, has a chance to give her some problems.

But truly what we're witnessing is a once in a generation special athlete who just keeps doing what she does, time after time. Gives me a lot of the same feeling I got over the years watching Emmitt Smith - you just knew you would feel sorry years later, for anyone who never got to watch him. Feel sorry for what they missed.

Reaction score
Why do they stop the fights so quickly? I’m not into the UFC so i don’t know what they normally do. I see a bunch of dudes rolling around on the floor together. The chick went down, give her a standing 8 count and get it going again. Although even those 34 seconds were better than 12 rounds of watching Mayweather run around the ring. Blah.

Reaction score
Once in a generation, special athlete... who fought what 12 times, 4 of them have lasted longer than a minute, and only one got out of the first round?

I mean, she's head and shoulders above her competition. But if her competition can't get out of the first round, at what point do you question the legitimacy of the competition, instead of giving her these extreme superlatives?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Why do they stop the fights so quickly? I’m not into the UFC so i don’t know what they normally do. I see a bunch of dudes rolling around on the floor together. The chick went down, give her a standing 8 count and get it going again. Although even those 34 seconds were better than 12 rounds of watching Mayweather run around the ring. Blah.
It's not boxing. In MMA if you go down and are unable to defend yourself even for a short amount of time, they stop the fight. Normally this is demonstrated by the opponent pummeling you while you are down and helpless. This time the ref did not let Rhonda do that. Usually they do allow it. But a faceplant with no hands to break the fall means you are OUT. Bethe's head hitting the mat woke her up.

In boxing, the opponent must go to a neutral corner. Not in MMA.
Once in a generation, special athlete... who fought what 12 times, 4 of them have lasted longer than a minute, and only one got out of the first round?
Bronze medal Judo Olympian, who destroyed Strikeforce MMA first, then became the first female ever to sign with UFC after Dana White, the owner of it, swore women would never compete in the UFC. And now she is its biggest draw and biggest star.
But if her competition can't get out of the first round, at what point do you question the legitimacy of the competition, instead of giving her these extreme superlatives?
They are yet to find a close second to Rousey, this is true. Will it ever happen, is the question. We didn't question Emmitt's opponents when no matter what they did, they still couldn't stop him. And many of us knew early on he was special, had we said all this about HIM in his third year most people would have laughed - it took TIME for that to become widely known and accepted. He still had to DO it and so does Rousey.

You don't win your first 9 MMA fights like Bethe did, without being pretty darned good. Rhonda's Judo expertise carried her through her first several fights, her ability to apply the armbar from nearly every position can't be dealt with as yet. But she has also upped her game, winning with head strikes and knees to the liver if need be. It's three times now we've seen this.

Her next fight against Miesha Tate will be quite telling. Tate has upped her own game significantly too and is back as the #1 contender in the Bantamweight division. Should be a doozy and can't wait, Miesha is the only fighter to give Rousey much trouble..

By the way Michael Irvin was there in Rio Sunday night, cheering Rousy on.

The card overall was a great one too, with several fights involving Brazilian legends of the sport like Bigfoot, Big and Little Nog, Shogun, it was just a great card and a very entertaining MMA night and well worth the $60.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I mean, she's head and shoulders above her competition. But if her competition can't get out of the first round, at what point do you question the legitimacy of the competition, instead of giving her these extreme superlatives?

She is one of those once in a generation athletes. Her arm bar is the best there is. Male or female according to most. No one fighter has ever dominated like she has. Anderson Silva was dominant before his leg was snapped like a twig. But he was never as dominant as her. Yes he won all his fights till he finally lost his title , but not as quickly as she has or as dominantly

No fighter in the history of MMA has done what she has done

She is years ahead of the other women in her class. She has been training judo all her life. The other women in her class have only been training for a number of years. I think it's going to be a few years before someone comes up and is able to match her skill.

MMA is relatively new for women so there isn't a crop of fighters out there who have been training since they were kids like you have with the men's division. Rhonda however has been training in the fighting sports since she was a kid. That's why she is so far advanced in her skills compared to the rest of the women fighters

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Tonight it's Rousey/Holm and yep, they got my 60 bucks again.

This Holm is a pure striker, world boxing champ and world kickboxing champ. No telling how she is on the ground since no one's been able to take her there in her nine MMA fights so far.

If Rousey is able to get her down I think it's over, but if she does not I'm not sure she can hang with the stand-up power of Holm. Is this the night Rousey goes down?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
DETHRONED! Holm knocked out Rousey early 2nd round! The fight was literally, Balboa/Lang I and Holm just lit her up from the start to the drop! ROUSEY TASTES DEFEAT!

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Rousey tried to BOX with a professional, world champion boxer with 40 fights under her belt. There's just no way, you're not a boxer. Better go back to what you know honey, Judo.

Top Bottom