Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I came to America when I was 13 years old. A hospital in San Antonio was considered the best when it came to treating the type of cancer my mother had.

I was born in Edinburgh, Scotland. We didn't play football (American style), basketball or baseball. Needless to say, I had trouble fitting in.

Some kids l befriended advised me that the best way to learn football was to watch it on TV. They told me the best team was from Texas and they were the Dallas Cowboys. This was September in the year 1970.

So, the next time I went with my father to visit my mother in the hospital, I stayed in the waiting room and watched the Dallas Cowboys play for the first time. Their opponent was the Minnesota Vikings.

Minnesota 54 Dallas 13.

I was pissed. I figured they had a good laugh fooling me into believing this was a good team. However, they continued to be adamant, they said the game was a fluke, they really were good.

So a month later, on a Monday night, I'm at the hospital again, my dad is with my mom and I decide to watch the game, give them another chance.

Cardinals 38 Cowboys 0.

It was at this point that I decided the Cowboys were going to be my team. Yes, they were terrible, I felt, but I was going to root for another underdog....like my mom.

I watched every remaining game,and would you believe it? They went undefeated all the way up to the Super Bowl, which they lost in the last minute to a field goal.

Three months later my mother passed away.

The following season always the greatest in Cowboy history, that team, led by Roger Staubach features a defense that has never been bested, and a running game that involved three guys that carries almost an equal number of times. They ended the season with their first ever Super Bowl championship.

I have been a die hard Cowboy fan ever since, no matter where I have gone in this world I have been able to take them with me. I have watched games in Alaska, Denver, Miami, even places like Edinburgh and the island of Crete off the coast of Greece.

I saw games in basic training, remote radar sites, LOL, I even saw one sitting in the drunk tank over thirty years ago.

I can tell you which game was recently played during each important event of my life including marriage, births of my children, death of loved ones, etc.

I ended up back in San Antonio which I now call my home. I have been to many games but none in the past six years, perhaps this season.

I'm over the edge sometimes when I discuss my Cowboys, I know that. But I've had to put up with New Yorkers, Philadelphians, Californians, and irritating fans of almost every team in the NFL. I have to say, the most intelligent, knowledgeable, and dedicated fans in the NFL are Cowboy fans and it is always enjoyable to discuss/debate our team with you guys.

I come across as arrogant and patronizing at times, that's just my style to inspire debate, but I truly respect all Cowboy fans regardless of their individual opinions.

I happen to think that this team is on the verge of another era of greatness, I think Jason Garrett will go down as the Cowboys 3rd, perhaps even 2nd greatest coach. I know the majority of you disagree. We will see.

Reaction score
i have watched cowboys games at such exotic loctions as Boise, Idaho - Butte Montana - Albuquerque New Mexico

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You tell us all that just to pimp Garrett at the end? If it's a true story (and I have my doubts), then thanks for sharing it and I'm sorry to hear about your Mom passing when you were so young.

Having said that, fuck you and your Garrett man love.

Reaction score
I don’t really like reading “how i became a Cowboys fan” posts because i honestly don’t give a fuck and it’s boring to read, but I’ll give you a little credit. Your post was semi-interesting.

That said, i became a Cowboys fan because my dad watched the games and he would beat the shit out of us if they lost.

Go Cowboys!

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
sorry about your mom. sad that it took her illness to make you a Dallas fan.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
How I Became a Fan
Just born lucky I guess. Parents were Cowboys fans so osmosis works.
i became a Cowboys fan because my dad watched the games and he would beat the shit out of us if they lost.
The one and only time I ever saw my dad throw in the towel on the Boys was Thanksgiving Day 1974, when the Redskins did what they said they would, and knocked Roger out. Clint Longley comes in and starts hitting targets, throwing bb's. I kept trying to get my dad back in there, but he was pissed off and didn't want to come watch. Besides he was now winning at poker against some of my aunts and uncles. Finally my mom came in, some cousins wanted to watch some shit on another channel. "Let them get their own TV then, Dallas is WINNING" and she watched for a bit to verify (they didn't have the score up there all the time back then you had to wait for a commercial) and when she saw we were ahead she went and got Dad.

Not long after HE started watching, Washington took the lead again. Our own Duane Thomas scored against us to make it 23-17. Dad Decided he was jinxing the Boys, wanted to leave but I kept telling him no, something's gonna happen we have magic here. Before long everyone, all cousins, aunts, uncles, siblings, everyone was watching when Longley uncorked the 50 yard bomb to Drew Pearson who scored with 23 seconds left.

Everyone jumping up and down, high fives, whooping and hollering, everyone in that room became Cowboys fans that day. Even my uncle Fred, the Air Force Lt. Col "spook" as my dad called him. (Uncle Fred worked in intelligence, and couldn't talk at all about any of it.)

Great day. Will never forget it. "The triumph of the uncluttered mind" - Blane Nye

Reaction score
Cowboys won the super bowl in 1992 and I jumped on the bandwagon which was really awesome for like three years but has been torturous and a semi hell ever since.

Insert cool feel good stories about relatives and specific games and their funny reactions and let's make s'mores together then circle jerk. Is that how this works?

Also I don't "respect all cowboys fans." Cowboys fans are some of the dumbest fans in the world.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
See, you have no soul. You don't respect the team history either, unless it's 92-97.

Reaction score
Why should Igas what a bunch of relics that I never saw play did before my time? I don't have any emotional attachment to them whatsoever.

Besides they mostly choked in big games anyways.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Why should Igas what a bunch of relics that I never saw play did before my time? I don't have any emotional attachment to them whatsoever.

Besides they mostly choked in big games anyways.
The bolded explains the ignorance of the last sentence.

Reaction score
Wait so they didn't lose a bunch of NFC title games and have a losing record is super bowls?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Wait so they didn't lose a bunch of NFC title games and have a losing record is super bowls?
The losing of the NFC title games was after Roger retired, there's a large group of people who think Danny White choked those. The SB losses weren't "chokes" or anything close to it. Just plain got beat. You didn't see any of it so you don't know. Hence the ignorance.

Unless, you call any loss a choke?

Reaction score
Danny white was the ice bowl QBs? They weren't referred to as "next years champions" because of always coming up short? They didn't have like 50 turnovers/gaffes against an inferior Baltimore squad and lose that SB? Jackie Smith didn't drop a wide fucking open td in the end zone? Danny white wasn't a Cowboy when you yourself agreed he "choked" those games?

Oh. My bad.

Hey come to think of it, I didn't SEE Kennedy get assassinated. How ignorant of me to say he was.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Danny white was the ice bowl QBs? They weren't referred to as "next years champions" because of always coming up short? They didn't have like 50 turnovers/gaffes against an inferior Baltimore squad and lose that SB? Jackie Smith didn't drop a wide fucking open td in the end zone?
None of that is what's commonly referred to as "choking."
Danny white wasn't a Cowboy when you yourself agreed he "choked" those games?
I didn't say he choked anything. You've moved the goal posts, you WERE talking about NFC title games, now it's Super Bowls. Danny never made it to the SB.
Hey come to think of it, I didn't SEE Kennedy get assassinated. How ignorant of me to say he was.
Right, come back with a example not at all related to your original crap. You didn't say Kennedy CHOKED.

You're outright saying Dallas "choked" in big games, meaning your definition of "choke" is losing a big game. When in reality, they just got beat by better teams. You don't know this because you never actually saw any of the games.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
My real point is that the Cowboys are like an old friend to me, always will be. They were always there no matter what my present circumstances were. Funny thing, they always seemed to be up when I was down. The early 90's were tough years for me.

This is a true story. It was over 40 years ago, that's how long I've been a fan. Not to say length measures anything as a fan, I've met 16 year olds that are as die hard as any.

My dad began watching the games with me, by brothers too. But sometimes my dad couldn't take the heat. In the 1972 playoff game where the 49ers were ahead by about 17 points or something, the one Staubach came in after being injured all season, my whole family bugged out. But I always believed that there was a chance with Roger in there and he won the game for me, to this day, the biggest thrill of my years as a fan.

Not trying to push Garrett, his results will speak for themselves when all is said and done....and I'll be on the right side so, very much appreciate the condolences but fuck you too.

Top Bottom