Reaction score
Bob Sturm ‏@SportsSturm 6 hours ago
The Ryan Williams era ends with 0 regular season games and 0 carries. The problem with injury prone players….

Sounds like they were not interested in going through another PUP stint. Too many OTA’s missed. Showing up for work is 80% of success.

Adam McC @TwoBitWhackJob
@SportsSturm have you seen any of the usual suspects reporting or are you saying it? I've still not seen anything close to official.

Bob Sturm retweeted Adam McC
I am saying it. It is done.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Wow, I'm really impressed if this is true. First time in a long time I've seen them just cut ties quick, and not coddle endlessly.

Reaction score
I still think that Dallas is waiting for some other, maybe already identified, veteran RB to drop to them. Remember years ago when a second tier RB from the Ravens was signed by the Chiefs and became a deadly Priest Holmes for a few years? I'm thinking Dallas could find a player like that who is talented but squeezed out of use by the depth chart. My guess is Cedric Peerman from the Lions.

Reaction score
Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 15 minutes ago
Cowboys release RB Ryan Williams, LB Cam Lawrence, OL Ryan Miller. Sign RB Gus Johnson, OL Ronald Patrick, LB Justin Anderson

Reaction score
Gus Johnson? Fox Sports Daily reports that Johnson had a well documented disappointing 40 yard dash time that was improved with a 4.62/40 ???? Then there was this gem: "These numbers are not considered strong, but keep in kind that many analysts are coming to the notion that the 40-yard dash is an overrated measurement of running backs."

Except that DeMarco Murray was considered not a necessary home run threat with a 4.41/40.

And then there is this:
Breaking Down the ‘Boys: Why Cowboys Are in Big Trouble with Joseph Randle | | Dallas Morning News

One of the most noteworthy quote is this:
We can discuss the importance of lateral quickness all day, but you can’t overlook the fact that running backs who have clocked in around Randle’s time have recorded about one-sixth the NFL production of those who ran as fast as Murray (4.41). That doesn’t mean Randle can’t possible succeed in the NFL, but the odds are against him. If the job of NFL teams is to maximize their chances of hitting on any given pick, it’s hard to justify using a mid-round selection on a lean running back with sub-par speed.

Randle’s college production is nice, but the correlation between college and NFL stats at the running back position is just above zero, i.e. the relationship is nearly non-existent. When trying to project running back success, college stats matter very, very little. Instead, teams should be looking for big, strong backs with elite speed (if not both, then one).

But what you don’t want is an undersized back who can’t fly. The Cowboys have one back with size and speed, one with speed but not size, one with size but not speed, and one with neither. Unfortunately, Randle is the last player on that list.

Reaction score
Does not even matter if Gus Johnson is cut tomorrow. Randle is essentially Gus Johnson and for some reason Randle is considered a contender for all that Murray was.

Reaction score
Writing was on the wall for Cam Lawrence. Nice guy, decent on special teams, but not a viable NFL LB.

Was he on the roster long enough to earn an NFL pension?

Reaction score
I still think that Dallas is waiting for some other, maybe already identified, veteran RB to drop to them. Remember years ago when a second tier RB from the Ravens was signed by the Chiefs and became a deadly Priest Holmes for a few years? 'm thinking Dallas could find a player like that who is talented but squeezed out of use by the depth chart. My guess is Cedric Peerman from the Lions.

Agreed. Because teams cut players who have Priest Holmes like impact all the time.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Does not even matter if Gus Johnson is cut tomorrow. Randle is essentially Gus Johnson and for some reason Randle is considered a contender for all that Murray was.

Randle is far better than Gus Johnson dude

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
surprised he jaked it despite the fact he had a golden opportunity for more playing time with Murray gone. i am disappoint, son.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
surprised he jaked it despite the fact he had a golden opportunity for more playing time with Murray gone. i am disappoint, son.
I kind of like the "step up or step out" attitude this shows from Dallas.

Reaction score
I think he was having problems with his knees. Some players break down at a young age. He could have been a good one.

Reaction score
Williams did miss some OTAs due to knee swelling.

It'll really suck if McFadden gets hurt in training camp.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Injuries at certain positions could be particularly devastating this season. RB is definitely one of those.

Certain positions yeah. RB, no.

The OL and the rest of the skill players are so good that they can definitely get by with far less than great guys at RB.

I actually have little doubt that if Randle and/or McFadden struggle/screw up/get hurt etc etc that they'll make a move for another RB.

Reaction score
McFadden getting hurt wouldn’t be devastating, lol. I think it’s kind of expected. Chris Johnson or some almost washed up running back would be signed to replace him.

I’d like to see the Cowboys pickup a thumper. A lot of fast dudes on the team but not a lot of power.

Top Bottom