Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I just have one little thing I wish you would do.

Please, when it is 4th down use situational awareness and secure the catch and get the first down. I know aggressiveness is one of your hallmarks, but can you moderate it in certain situations? 4th down means there's not another play for that drive, if we don't get the required yards.

Like in Green Bay. Yeah, I know they ripped you off. I know you were down by contact before you reached for the goal line with the ball. Hell, the official right there not five feet away from you called it that way. I know. BUT....

Had you just curled up with that ball like it was a little teddy bear we would have had first and goal.

Discretion - the better part of valor. Would you please exercise it in these situations?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Hey Dez, I know I talked constant off season shit about how we don't need you. That you're Laurent Robinson 2.0. But now that you're signed long term, I'm gonna run my mouth about that ONE time a call got overturned against you. Never mind the countless game changing plays you've made in your career....I still need a soapbox to validate my asinine assertions.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Hey Dez, I know I talked constant off season shit about how we don't need you. That you're Laurent Robinson 2.0.
Nobody did that.
I'm gonna run my mouth about that ONE time a call got overturned against you. Never mind the countless game changing plays you've made in your career....I still need a soapbox to validate my asinine assertions.
Countless? They do count them. Each and every catch is counted. "Game changing" is pretty relative, quite subjective. Some might say the bad call against him was one of his "game changing" plays too.

And asserting that we should make damn sure we secure the ball on 4th down is far from asinine - it's Pop Warner stuff actually.

Myself, I never said we don't need him. I said I wasn't skerred of being without him. Big difference there. But yeah, it is blasphemous.

Reaction score
Dear Dez,

Please stop trying so hard and doing all the things that make you so special.

Sincerely Doomsday

literally what you just wrote

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dear Dez,

Please stop trying so hard and doing all the things that make you so special.

Sincerely Doomsday

literally what you just wrote
If you didn't read it, or in your case simply can't comprehend what you read.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
i'll wait for 'most' to show up and give you your props

you're nailing it
MOST understand I am talking about a specific situation, not his entire game. Pretty much every athlete knows there's a time for discretion, in every sport. All I have done was said what I am sure none of the Cowboys coaches would dare say.

But they're thinking it. Every football coach who saw that play, thought it. Troy Aikman even dared say it.

Asking a guy we're paying 14 million a year, to exercise situational awareness and discretion in critical situations like 4th down isn't asking him not to "try so hard." It's actually asking him to try harder. To use his brain.

It's a lot to ask someone who scored 18 on his Wonderlic test, I realize.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Save it, Dooms.

Even the new guy recognizes your bullshit.
It's superpunk, hardly new.

But, it's bullshit to say exactly what Troy said? It's bullshit to ask a player to use situational awareness and employ discretion in certain situations? They teach that ya know, as early as Pop Warner.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's 4th down. We NEED this first down. I have caught the ball, have the first down yardage, and am falling in the grasp of a tackler but am near the goal line. Should I risk a fumble, or a stupendously bad call from the replay booth, and reach for the goal line? Or should I just curl up protecting the ball and live to fight another play?

It's really basic stuff. Protect the football.

Reaction score
Anyone who is competitive knows its not easy to just “not try as hard”. I have zero beef with Bryant on that play. He gave everything he had on that play and i wouldn’t want it any other way. It’s a dumb rule.

BTW, please Dooms, i don’t want to debate with you on Dez Bryant, just giving my 2¢.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Anyone who is competitive knows its not easy to just “not try as hard”. I have zero beef with Bryant on that play. He gave everything he had on that play and i wouldn’t want it any other way. It’s a dumb rule.

BTW, please Dooms, i don’t want to debate with you on Dez Bryant, just giving my 2¢.
Re: the bolded. Me either. It just was what it was, he got screwed. The original on the field call should have stood because it was the right call. Down by contact inside the 1, first and goal Dallas. I'm addressing the future. The whole point of "going for it" on 4th down is to get the first down. To secure the required yardage. I'm not asking anything that isn't fundamental football. And when you are getting 14 million annually to play, this is not at all above your pay grade.

That's really not debatable.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
On the other hand.... When we do go for it on 4th and 2 and the play is a deep throw, the goal really is a TD not just getting the first down. This all or nothing approach - feast or famine - throws the rest of the situational awareness stuff out too. We were going for the jugular there, and missed. The assignment likely was, the end zone.

Carry on Dez.

Top Bottom