Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's ho hum to me pretty much. 4:35 of my life I can never get back.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this though, I watched it again. It was a fun season.

I have finally been watching all the games I kept on DVR from last season. Really some amazing stuff in them.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this though, I watched it again. It was a fun season.

I have finally been watching all the games I kept on DVR from last season. Really some amazing stuff in them.

It was a fun season, but I put it in perspective. Every break went our way. Injuries, close games, both in Dallas' favor, unlike previous seasons. There were a lot of special plays, Williams' catch in Seattle, the Romo spin from Watt, the final drive to kill off the Giants etc.

Maybe it is the cynic in me, but I am looking at this team like any other recent season...8-8 or so. We still have a lot of question marks and will need similar fortune again. I am not a big believer in luck, but if it is a real factor in winning, we had it last year in spades.

Had we returned intact with Murray offensively, I might consider last season a building block. But that is not the case and there is a rebuild going on defensively. There is more talent there, but it will have to gel quickly to compensate for the edge lost that we developed with the running game being the team's identity backbone.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It was a fun season, but I put it in perspective. Every break went our way. Injuries, close games, both in Dallas' favor, unlike previous seasons. There were a lot of special plays, Williams' catch in Seattle, the Romo spin from Watt, the final drive to kill off the Giants etc.

Maybe it is the cynic in me, but I am looking at this team like any other recent season...8-8 or so. We still have a lot of question marks and will need similar fortune again. I am not a big believer in luck, but if it is a real factor in winning, we had it last year in spades.

Had we returned intact with Murray offensively, I might consider last season a building block. But that is not the case and there is a rebuild going on defensively. There is more talent there, but it will have to gel quickly to compensate for the edge lost that we developed with the running game being the team's identity backbone.
When I say stuff like this, the homers lose their minds. I am 100 percent in agreement with you and like I've been saying - I expect 8-8 or maybe 9-7 next year. The team just is what it is, mediocre. But like any of the 20 or so mediocre teams in this league, with the right breaks and some discovered chemistry and getting on a roll late, can make a run. Any of them. Last year was our turn and we muffed it.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Glad to see the old Booze back.

I think we're better than 8-8, but then we were better than 8-8 from 2011-2013, too. We were just horribly mismanaged and playing below our talent.

I think we'll contend for the whole thing this year, because the other contenders aren't perfect either. But I will say that it wouldn't take much for the whole thing to come apart if we get a couple bad breaks early in the season.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score

I think we're better than 8-8, but then we were better than 8-8 from 2011-2013, too. We were just horribly mismanaged and playing below our talent.

I think we'll contend for the whole thing this year, because the other contenders aren't perfect either. But I will say that it wouldn't take much for the whole thing to come apart if we get a couple bad breaks early in the season.
I see nothing unreasonable in this. With the vagaries of this league almost anything can happen.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Completely agree TE. It's the way of today's NFL. I'm skeptical this year because of the running game or lack there of. We certainly got a lot of breaks last season as Booze mentioned but I also believe that good teams get those breaks. There was also a time when we couldn't overcome some bad breaks which we also did last season.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
With the vagaries of this league almost anything can happen.

Right.
On the one hand:we get to play the NFC South and our own division and those two divisions are in flux to say the least,3 of our 2015 opponents have new head coaches,and we get the two Super Bowl teams at The Palace in Dallas*

On the other hand:All those things could just as easily work against us;the South has a chip on it's shoulder,first year coaches fire up to play the Boys.Kelly's mad scientist act could pay off and we all know our home field advantage is wishful thinking.Plus we go to Lambeau and Buffalo in December.
Frankly nothing would surprise me.

*sounds better than The Palace in Close Proximity to Dallas

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I also believe that good teams get those breaks.
The good teams MAKE most of their "breaks" and it happens for them EVERY season not just one magical one. Ask Jimmy. Or, check the annually elite teams in this league - they are good enough to transcend luck. How about 20 years straight of playoff seasons for Tom - those teams made their own breaks.

We're talking about fortunate happenstance or as I term it, dumb luck - as most of what we saw last year. And I still maintain part of that dumb luck was Tony's back situation making us rely far more on the running attack than any Garrett team ever has, and also for Claiborne's season ending injury which did more to improve this defense than any mid-season personnel adjustment could ever have.

We were simply charmed last year fellas.

Reaction score
It's ho hum to me pretty much. 4:35 of my life I can never get back.

I understand your frustration with the way the Cowboys season ended last year, so no offense taken.

Just like life in general, I learned its best for us to focus on the positive things and TRY to forget the setbacks, disappointments and not so positive things. With that said, I have confidence the team is going to do better than last year.

Keep up the good posting, my friend. :like

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I couldn't bear to watch any of the games again, until just recently. Yeah Man it still just hurts, to think about the promise wasted of last season where the magic of getting the breaks, having momentum, and getting on a roll disappeared so suddenly with one terrible call. I had to re-think that initial response. I come across as a negative nellie but when it comes down to it I really love the Cowboys and always have. Just, so much waste really since Jerruh fired Jimmy. Wasted talent, wasted lives. It's sad. I'd love to gut Jerruh like a fish, truth be told. So, really hard to get hyped.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think we're better than 8-8, but then we were better than 8-8 from 2011-2013, too. .

I don't think I agree about the 2011-2012-2013 teams being better than 8-8. 2011 and 2012 the OL was poor to mediocre most of the time and all 3 years the defense was awful.

On paper at least this years team is eons more talented overall than the past several years.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Love it.... "This Video Does Not Exist" now. They took it down?

Top Bottom