Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Since everything that's not racist is now racist; probably not. Fuck this PC society we live in.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
In light of other news, can we now call them the Washington Rainbows?

Please?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Obama now saying new stadium deal will be held up due to the team name:

Obama Administration Says Redskins Nickname Could Block Potential Stadium Deal | Bleacher Report

The Washington Redskins, who play their home games in Landover, Maryland, are running into more troubles due to the franchise's nickname, this time as they try to move back to the nation's capital.

According to Jonathan O'Connell of the Washington Post, members of President Barack Obama's administration will take efforts to block construction of a new stadium in the area until the "Redskins" nickname is changed:

Interior Secretary Sally Jewell told D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser this spring that the National Park Service, which owns the land beneath Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, was unlikely to accommodate construction of a new stadium for the Redskins unless the team changes its name.

Jewell oversees both national park land and America's trust and treaty relationships with Native American tribes.

Jewell previously told David Kerley of ABC News in September 2014 that she's surprised the Washington franchise has not changed its nickname.​

"Personally, I think we would never consider naming a team the 'Blackskins' or the 'Brownskins' or the 'Whiteskins.' So, personally, I find it surprising that in this day and age, the name is not different," Jewell said.

Jewell did add in the ABC News interview that the "Redskins" nickname "has not been the issue" that has been brought up in her discussions with Native American tribal leaders.

In O'Connell's report, Department of Interior spokeswoman Jessica Kershaw noted that a meeting between Jewell and Washington, D.C., Mayor Muriel E. Bowser led to her reiterating the uncomfortable sentiment around the "Redskins" name.

"[Secretary Jewell] did mention in that meeting that she was uncomfortable with the name," Kershaw said. "The president has said something similar, that he is uncomfortable with the name, and she clearly clarified that position."
I'm not laughing at this or in any way celebrating this. The "Cowboys" name is probably high on the list if not outright next up. Because Cowboys oppressed and killed the Indians, ya know.

First they came for the Redskins, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Redskin fan.

Then they came for the Rednecks, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Redneck and didn't fly the confederate battle flag.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.​

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
While I agree that people are being way too sensitive, "Redskins" is nowhere close to Cowboys in the realm of offensive names. The truth is a huge percentage of a race of people are offended by the name. Not a group, not a club, an actual race. Change the name and be done with it. Other teams with offensive names, colleges mostly, have already changed. This won't have a ripple down effect that some people are being paranoid about.

Plus, it's the Washignton fricken Redskins. I'm all for anything that f's that franchise. Screw them.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The truth is a huge percentage of a race of people are offended by the name. Not a group, not a club, an actual race.
Except, by and large they are not. By and large, the Native American community loves the name and loves the team. It's actually a very small but loud and shrill minority of the community, which is "offended."

You don't think "Cowboys" is on the list for targeting at some future time? In this political climate?
Other teams with offensive names, colleges mostly, have already changed. This won't have a ripple down effect
Choice irony. You give good example of "ripple down" then say it doesn't exist.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Jesus christ, we won't even be able to make eye contact with other races without being labeled a racist. Why do we cater to the small percentage of butthurt retards?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Except, by and large they are not. By and large, the Native American community loves the name and loves the team. It's actually a very small but loud and shrill minority of the community, which is "offended."

You don't think "Cowboys" is on the list for targeting at some future time? In this political climate?Choice irony. You give good example of "ripple down" then say it doesn't exist.

I'm saying that the teams with names that are considered offensive names to races of people will not effect teams with names like Cowboys. Apples and oranges.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jesus christ, we won't even be able to make eye contact with other races without being labeled a racist. Why do we cater to the small percentage of butthurt retards?

Why should people have to see trademarked images of what many deem offensive? I personally do not care but I'm sick of hearing about it. Change it and make a ton of money off the new logo and all of the new gear people will buy.

Compton High School's mascot used to be the Tar Babies. Should they have kept that too??

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm saying that the teams with names that are considered offensive names to races of people will not effect teams with names like Cowboys. Apples and oranges.
"Cowboys" is "offensive" to the Native American right? The oppressors. The killers.

They INVENT the "offensiveness" and it's whatever they say it is. "Rebel" isn't offensive, but right now there are at least three high schools in Texas coming under pressure to change that mascot.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Next they'll wanna ban restrooms.

They all got a john in them

And reb soldiers were called johnny reb

So bathrooms gotta go

And anyone named john

And anyone who's name rhymes with reb- like i donno- like JEB.

LETS just hope we don't have to go - because without bathrooms- we'll all be back in the Bush again.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah, this is where the "if we allow gay marriage, next thing you know, people can marry animals" logic comes from.

Welcome to the wrong side of history.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yeah, this is where the "if we allow gay marriage, next thing you know, people can marry animals" logic comes from.
No, it's not.

Earlier you gave examples of the "ripple down" on team names and mascots, you say doesn't exist. Now you're comparing it to earlier and completely unrelated lunacy, from morons.
Surely, surely the Minnesota Vikings are triggering campus rape culture victims left, right and center?
OPPRESSORS!

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
are people of Nordic ancestry offended at all by the term Vikings? No? Not quite the same thing.

"redskin" is a derogatory term. Viking or Cowboy isn't.

Top Bottom